Santana PS10 - Any good?

Chiraagshah

Hello all,

I've been looking for a decent work/playhorse at a good price and have recently come across the Santana PS10 - Have seen one which is farily new (2007 model) and at a very good price and wondering whether anyone here owns one/has driven one and what their comments were? I've seen some magazine articles referring to it as having won the title of best 4X4 in 2005 (not sure on what criteria) but all feedback very welcome.

I have also considered a 110 but they are way more expensive and I am looking for something that is not more than 4 years old so the Santana is cheaper by a long shot.

Main uses are going to be some day to day usage, occasional greenlaning and (hopefully) some overland trips to Africa!

Would appreciate all thoughts and comments.

Many thanks,

C

Not tried one but looked at it half-seriously a few years back. Decent engine, 1970s suspension, Datsun Cherry lookalike interior (odd, plasticky), outside looks like a cross between a Defender and an Ibex (not intended as a compliment) but an interesting vehicle all the same. I'd like to try one just out of interest.

I local (to me) independent Landy dealer took on the franchise and became a Sultana PS10 dealer for a while. The relationship only lasted a couple of years due to so many reliability issues and customer complaints if I recall correctly... and the fact that the main UK distributor went bust - (This is a word of mouth thing and I have no evidence to back it up)

Shame really 'cos the engine is fairly sweet and a lot more "pully" than the 300tdi.

However, the PS10 did win lots of awards for its off road ability (something to do with the cart springs maybe!)

Thanks guys for the comments ... I am looking at a 2007 model with 40K miles on the clock and a 1 Yr Warranty thrown in so think I would be able to iron out any relaibility issues that come up in that time frame ... Its a 2.8 Turbo Diesel but assume it will still come with the LT85 gearbox which I believe is pretty solid ...

Does anyone have any idea how it rates comfort wise to the 110? I've seen some comment son other threads saying it doesn't compare to a landie but any first hand experience?

Cheers!

Having briefly driven one, they go much better than a 110 due to having a decent sized engine. The rest of Santana's policy seems to be to modify LR's junk to work properly, it's more like an evolution of the Series than a Defender. I recall, in LRO's vastly biased shootout between the PS10 and Defender, the Defender only just won. I suspect if LRO weren't so cosy with LR it might have been a different story.

I would still have a 110 over a PS10 any day, the green one in my pics was in my care for 7 days at the 06 & 07 greenbelt festival's, in use as a 4x4 fire appliance, even the fire fighters said it was no where near as comfy over the ground as the 110 we had at the same time. this year I had 4 110's including a 'Transit' engined beast.

I understand that the LT85 gearbox was replaced by a ZF unit (think the same as the Sprinter) from August 2005. Didn't recognise the axles though - definitely not LR.

Main consumables readily available from commercial vehicle parts suppliers. There are a few around the Peak and the owners I have spoken with are quite happy with them.

Still doesn't fix the plastic dash and cart suspension, but they will be somewhat cheaper than an equivalent 110.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes very good. Have had one since 2005. Bought new bit bouncy with the leaf springs but more spacious than the landy. Inside a bit plasticy but what does it matter its a workhorse. One slight problem the gear stick rattles when you get to 65mph. Anyone got any idea what could stop this? Understand it used to be a problem with the series 3.

Cheers

Cabinman

is that the same lt85 box as was used in landys or has it been modded over time?

are the doors land rover compatible as they look like a good defender replacement!

Virtually the same LR bought them in for the V8 models, actually made by Santana in the 1980's

as for the side doors they look compatabile, same shape & barrel sided feature, door handles & lock is different though