V8 remote oil filters and oil coolers?

Steve 90

As I suspected it looks like im going to need a remote oil filter as there is an issue with the std filter and the axle. Ive seen some take off plates that replace the oil pump housing and relief valve which look neat but im not sure how the oil cooler fits with this.

So does the oil cooler just go in series with the oil filter????? As in, Pipe from oil pump housing to filter then to cooler then back to block??? All the ones ive delt with in the past have had a thermostatic valve on the cooler take off's but I assume this isn't needed and only an aid to faster warm up's.

So what are people using and how have they piped it up to include the oil cooler?

Cheers.

Steve.

As I suspected it looks like im going to need a remote oil filter as there is an issue with the std filter and the axle. Ive seen some take off plates that replace the oil pump housing and relief valve which look neat but im not sure how the oil cooler fits with this.

So does the oil cooler just go in series with the oil filter????? As in, Pipe from oil pump housing to filter then to cooler then back to block??? All the ones ive delt with in the past have had a thermostatic valve on the cooler take off's but I assume this isn't needed and only an aid to faster warm up's.

So what are people using and how have they piped it up to include the oil cooler?

Cheers.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I use a Mocal Remote Filter Head and a MG type low profile adapter.

Here is a link to the Merlin Motorsport page.

Marc

By reducing the size of the filter do you reduces its ability to filter or its lifetime?

Giving that the truck will see fairly harsh use i wouldnt want to be reducing the oil filtration.

Hope that makes sense, probably doesnt, mumble mumble...

Will.

Steve,

I used to run a normal mocal sandwich plate, but managed to smash this up with my diff.

I then got a plate which goes where the old filter take off point is - bottom item on this page if i remember correctly - http://www.thinkauto.com/cgi-bin/sh000001....tml%23aPC1#aPC1

You fit your pressure relief valve into this as well, making sure the bore is nice n smooth....

Then as per a normal take off you have an input and a return, which you take to your filter somewhere in your engine bay.

This takes up the least amount of space out of all the systems.

I'll be going to the workshop in a bit, so will see if i can get a picture of it...

Gord

Edit, i've just reread your post...and it's actually about coolers....doh.... i don't run one on mine, but i'd find a way of a thermo switch...i'd put money on the guys from thinkauto having something to sort you out, very helpful, and as far as i know they manufacture the mocal stuff.

Hi sorry guys. Yes the info is excellent and just what I need. I have been keeping a sneaky eye on the thread but things are so busy at present I tend to only be able to find time to check on stuff while multi tasking, Making replies a little difficult. Damn work, It gets in the way of everything! :angry2: :angry2: Im a poor typer and trying to write a reply while on the phone ordering bits just doesn't work :lol: :lol:

So thanks guys, info was spot on, The links to the pages for the cooler setup were very interesting. Ive got a take off plate but 90 deg elbows were going to make it all a bit close with the axle so Im now waiting for some Banjo bolts to arrive which I hope will give plenty of clearance.

I'll post some pics as soon as I have it sorted.

Right, here it is. Take of plate with the normal swept 90 deg unions was still a bit on the tight side. I really wanted to Keep the motor as low as possible so needed something else. Yet again the Nice people at Merlin Motorsport had what I needed in the post straight away.

post-1274-1231539085_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1231539112_thumb.jpg

So I got all the clearances sorted and half way through the engine mounts. Then need to get everything plumbed in.

Thanks Guys.

Steve.

Mmm, It certainly does. Any idea what sort of money they fetch? Are they still available?

I think i have one of these on my V8 i removed recently. Used though.

I also have a inline thermostat that i never fitted. Also a few hydraulic fittings to join it all together. (all 1/2UNF) If interested give me a shout I will check and send a pic.

I can post to you.

Cheers.

• 5 years later...

My 90 has done extremely low miles since V8 installed so oil is clear I have just got a Mocal remote and was wondering how much oil I would loose swapping the filter without draining the sump first, I figure about a filters worth or am I going to make a mess of the driveway? What is best way to pre charge the longer pipes and filter or should I just fit it turn the engine a couple of times and check the dip stick?

Never fitted one before but as my filter has a dent from diff hitting it thought it would be a good idea.

You'll lose a filter housings worth. Fill the engine to the high mark after fitting and start it, but don't rev at all until it puts the light out. The engine will run at steep angles off road so even a bit below the low mark it will be fine on the flat.

You could back fill the delivery hose, but what if your pour some grit into it? Better to let the engine fill it all up.

Fitted the Mocal filter relocation plate today and the only place the filter head could go was on the top of the chassis on the near side. This means the filter will now be upside down as the thread on the plate is pointing up.

I brought a Mahle OC261 filter but can't find out any where if it has a no return valve. Have read lots of blogs and technical features and the consensus seams to be a non return valve is a good idea when the filter is fitted upside down.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a suitable filter ?

I have read a useful blog where a guy says when changing upside down filters on planes and cars he has learnt if you drill a small hole in top of the filter the pressure is relieved and the oil drains back in to the sump making it less messy to remove when replacing.

In theory it still can't drain, because it's sealed. It would have to glub out. Also, you don't have to completely fill a new filter with the pump oil before you get oil pressure if it points up, as it will come out as soon as it is high enough in the can to cover the exit. (if that barely makes sense, I can't write any better than that, I'm on my literary limit :) )

But my main reason for liking downhill pointing filters is the dirt sits in the bottom. Plus you can pre fill them.

Having said that, mine is sideways and mounted in the inner wing, just behind the front panel, next to where the headlight would sit.

You could tap the housing for a drain tap? That would be cool :) What if it opens by accident you may ask? Well, I see the neat fix is a blank plug. Remove plug, open tap, drain system.

I don't know if there is a single drain-back valve solution for this, as it can drain back on either side of the filter through the crank or the pump?

I just used to let it get on with it at start up. It'll depend how good your tappits are as well. Minepumped down fast.

Not that it is any help at all, but this is why I like my dry sump, as I can loosen the belt and prime it by hand if it has stood for a few weeks. It saves my worry ;)