Driving a newly purchased discovery home without tax???

tobes

if you insure it could the old owner tax it then and pay him the extra.

if the selling owner taxed it using his insurance & the current MOT cert. then you buy & iinsure [prior to collecting] the vehicle, problem is solved as it complies with the road legal requirements [tax/MOT/Insurance] job sorted :D

Bearing in mind if the tax is out it should be on a SORN anyway, this is on the DVLA site itself;

What will happen

If you don’t tax or SORN your vehicle you could be stopped by the police.

You’ll get an automatic penalty of £80, as well as paying for a new tax disc and any arrears of vehicle tax you owe.

You could also get a County Court Judgement against you, and be fined a minimum of £1000.

The maximum penalty for making a false declaration by declaring SORN when the vehicle is actually used or kept on a public road is £5000 and two years imprisonment.

Your vehicle could be clamped by one of DVLA's wheelclamping partners. You’ll need to pay to have your vehicle released as well as producing a valid tax disc or a surety fee if no disc is available. If you fail to pay, your vehicle will be impounded, incurring storage charges. If you don’t pay the release or storage fees, your vehicle could be crushed or sold.

Slightly more than a small fine.

The £5000 fine is if you declare the vehicle off the road (SORN) & then are caught using it without tax so not relevant in this case. Basically making a false declaration.

The instant £80 fine relates to SORN aswell. You have a few weeks to make a SORN declaration to DVLA.

You are correct about parking a vehicle on the road overnight if the tax is out they could clamp it.

Worse case is being made to pay all the back tax from when you purchased the vehicle (the previous day) & a fine which is at DVLA's discretion but isn’t anyway near a £1000 for this type of offence.

I’ve had a problem with Tax in the past, minor & unavoidable unless I wanted to hire a garage for a month. £35 fine & back tax. Didn't agree with the fine but you can't argue with DVLA so paid up & its not worth the hassle for £35.

You’d be unlucky to have any problems in my opinion but it is a risk. But then so is speeding & lots of other things.

The legal answer to the original question is no you can’t, just because of a little bit of paper! Any alternative shouldn’t really be considered.

Personally I’d much prefer they abolished road tax & just taxed the fuel to recouped their lost revenue. What money from VED is actually spent on the roads anyway? How

much is wasted on admin? How much does it cost catching all the people without TAX? If its just to prove your insured you should get a disc issued by your insurance company, if its just a proof of MOT you should have an MOT disc displayed. I hate having to find all my documents & take them to the post office. It always smells in the PO & the ques can take ages.

If you have access to the internet where you pick the car up you could insure and tax it on the spot, then drive it home legally.

With reference to this above, checking the DVLA website it states you can tax your vehicle online as long as it is insured and mot'd this will then show up on the ANPR database as having tax. This is all well and good as you can still be done for not displaying a tax disc, but you would be very unlucky. Quoting from DVLA website there is one downside The tax disc and the receipt for payment will be sent to the registered keeper’s address currently held by DVLA and should arrive in the post within 5 working days. Your best bet is to collect it on a day when you can tax it or hire a trailer.

Most criminals rely on vehicles to commit crime. Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) is a tool designed to make it far more difficult for them to use vehicles without being detected.

That is because motorist=criminal

Vehicles which have sounded an alert will then be stopped by intercept team officers for further investigation. Only vehicles that are highlighted by enforcement agency databases will be stopped, so no law-abiding citizen has anything to fear from ANPR operations. Unlicensed or uninsured vehicles are likely to be seized on the spot by ANPR equipped officers.

ANPR can be used to gather intelligence on known criminals or for post-incident crime investigation as well as for running pro-active operations using dedicated intercept teams.

Is it surprising that 15,000 of the 75,000 people in prison are there for motoring crimes? The average burglar/mugger doesn't carry a number plate so he is far harder to catch.

sorry about the rant

With reference to this above, checking the DVLA website it states you can tax your vehicle online as long as it is insured and mot'd this will then show up on the ANPR database as having tax. This is all well and good as you can still be done for not displaying a tax disc, but you would be very unlucky. Quoting from DVLA website there is one downside The tax disc and the receipt for payment will be sent to the registered keeper’s address currently held by DVLA and should arrive in the post within 5 working days. Your best bet is to collect it on a day when you can tax it or hire a trailer.

And you will probably have to wait for the insurance company to update the insurance database (MIB?) as DVLA will check before they issue a TAX disk, if you apply online & your vehicle's MOT or Insurance can't be verified you can't even apply for a new tax disc online.

DVLA don't make life easy, but I guess its alot better than it was in the past. Although the SORN system is a nightmare!

I pay my road Tax, just hate the hassle & inconvienience of it all. If you have a few cars its a lot of paperwork & potential fines if you forget to renew a SORN. Now surely I'm not the only one thats had to chuck £80 to the DVLA because after 12months my project still isn't finished & taxed again? I have told DVLA my car off the road, why the need to tell them again next year?

Sorry I've probably said enough, rant over!

The £5000 fine is if you declare the vehicle off the road (SORN) & then are caught using it without tax so not relevant in this case.

Yes, i understand that. It's the original text i copied from the DVLA website.

However, as he said he was thinking of driving it home when he buys it without taxing it, and because it's not taxed currently it must by definition be on a SORN, i think it is absolutely relevant.

Obviously it's the registered keeper that would be liable, but when the police stop him or that ANPR thing has a time signature on and his new keeper supplement is in his sweaty palm then it could be taken as registered in his name and until it's un-SORN you can't use it.

if you ring your non emergancy police number for your county police, they would be able to tell you for definate and whats the likeliest result. i spoke to one the other day about moving my sorned 90 by rigid bar and he was really helpful

Yes, i understand that. It's the original text i copied from the DVLA website.

However, as he said he was thinking of driving it home when he buys it without taxing it, and because it's not taxed currently it must by definition be on a SORN, i think it is absolutely relevant.

Obviously it's the registered keeper that would be liable, but when the police stop him or that ANPR thing has a time signature on and his new keeper supplement is in his sweaty palm then it could be taken as registered in his name and until it's un-SORN you can't use it.

I think the change of owner ends the SORN agreement but I could be wrong on that one.

I've alway sent a SORN declaration away when buying untaxed vehicles that aren't re-taxed straight away.

The new owner hasn't made a false declaration so shouldn't be liable to the upto £5000 fine.

I don't really think being without TAX for one day is a huge crime, but it is a risk. Fine would probably be less that making 2 trips if it is some distance away. (One trip to look at the vehicle one to collect it).

I don't view this sort of activity as tax dodging & don't think it should or would be punished heavily for that reason. You are without TAX for a day which you pay for the following day along with several days before you even owned the vehicle in most cases as you have got to buy the full months tax.

Anyway, these are just my views.

if you ring your non emergancy police number for your county police, they would be able to tell you for definate and whats the likeliest result. i spoke to one the other day about moving my sorned 90 by rigid bar and he was really helpful

What was the answer to moving your sorned 90?

Officially I don't think its legal but in reality I doubt you'll get stopped if you are moving it safely.

I'm sure we used to be able to tow an untaxed vehicle, is it because of the EU we now need to meet their standard of road safety!

What was the answer to moving your sorned 90?

Officially I don't think its legal but in reality I doubt you'll get stopped if you are moving it safely.

I'm sure we used to be able to tow an untaxed vehicle, is it because of the EU we now need to meet their standard of road safety!

officially as its sorn'd it cant touch the road so has to be trailered, and IF you got stopped towing it on a rigid bar then its illegal-insurance or not. 80quid fine he said.

but i was considering booking it for an mot then moving it for work to be done-which is true!

Penalty for not displaying a registration plate is a non-endorsable £30 and it'd be impossible to determine whether it's taxed or not at the roadside.

Obviously I couldn't endorse any kind of law-breaking but we all know how insecure those numberplate bolts can be... "They were there at the beginning of the journey officer" :)

I have done this in the past, arranged tax over internet and immediately used my car. If you carry the email confirmation that tax is paid, it would take a very inhumane police officer to give you a ticket for that.

Best not get caught in Leicestershire.

Contrary to what some have said, the vehicle check will show if the vehicle is currently taxed & insured. And talking to a friend of mine (ex-colleague) who is in the road policing unit the vehicle will be seized & impounded & you will then have to make your own way to wherever it was you were going. They crushed a lot of vehicles last year.

Harsh, but stops those who try all the ingenious excuses that have been pretty much covered in this thread.

how far were you thinking of driving it were is the vehical etc

there arent as many cop cars that are fitted with camaras etc that record everything, so not sure how many would be fitted with the ANPR? mainly the volvo's and BMW will have them but again not all, only know about the camara's after was going to take the police involved to court for giving me 3 points and £60 fine for "apparently" going over double white lines at 4am as they sat in a side road well out of view, i know i didnt they know i didnt as i was threatened with 9 instead of 3 points plus a much bigger fine if i took them to court, i later found this to be a lye and a threat, but as there was two of them and one of me i was told by the soliciter i had no chance and the amount i would have to pay, if i lost would make it not worth it and that i had a very slim chance of winning. just one of them things that i'll have to live with that i know i shouldnt, the other 3 points + £60 was for turning round at the top of a one way street at 3am in nottingham no questions asked points and fine didnt even see the signs :( .

but again what can you do nowt :angry2::angry2:

my advise is wait the week, of the few times i have been pulled by the police they have done nothing but trying to do me for something (insecure load of 5 empty card board boxes £30 fine), its definatly not worth the risk, the fines well out weigh what its worth.

and if you dont, dont come anywhere near nottingham, cheshire, M6, M6 toll or M1 (junc 15 and 16 often have the ANPR camara on the bridge very often dont know if its the road or the motorway they are doing tho).

they are like rats all over these areas

[/rant]

now of to finsh of clutch and gear box

dave

but failing to display a current tax disc is illegal too, so it's possible to be done for not displaying.

If you've taxed online you get a majibby to print off and show to the hofficer in the event you get pulled, and when he does an computer check you'll come up as taxed. Borrow a mates blackberry or something and internet it, easiest way...

i spoke to mate whos a copper and not all cars have the apnr cameras, or watever they are, HOWEVER they do now all have the power to radio and ask wether both an individual has insuarance, tax, etc.

as for failing to display a tax disc, i got pulled a year or so ago- surrey police were training officers on the first day of the month to catch people out. i didnt have my disc in as it got soaked and was on the radiator so i just got a 7 day wonder-they were pretty understanding.

with the whole buying online thing, im sure as soon as youve bought the tax, your vehicle is taxed, same as insurance-so if you got a mate to tax it online/tax it before you go, as some one else pointed out, if you got pulled, "its in the post" and they could check-if they did you for not displaying tax disc then complain-theres nothing more you can do!

its taxed, tested and insured-so it should flash up on cameras, so you should be fine

just my thoughts

as for being pulled, i used to work in a pub, and driving home i got pulled 4 times in 2 weeks-3 times by the same pair of coppers-i did have a brake light out, but when i hit it it came back on :P

If it helps I bought the wife a new(er) car today. It's MOT'd until Next Dec, I insured it today at 12 noon, I still can't tax it online as the Insurance isn't showing up yet on the MI database. If I did manage to do it online, I probably won't receive the disc until Wednesday - So she can't drive it yet. Right pain in the rear. I might be better off hoping the insurance comes - espicially as they'd probably send the tax disc to the last owner anyway as the V5 won't have gone through yet.

Strangely if I look it up on the Vehicle Check bit of the DVLA website it says it's taxed until 01/01/2010 - So I guess the previous owner hasn't surrendurerd the tax disc yet.

Got a fantastic deal on the car as well - it's a real buyers market out there if you are patient but ready to jump when a bargain comes along. Got about 1/3 off the current value of the car