Garage shelving

white90

Aldi had some cheap shelving units in on Thursday - probably still got some.

They were 400mm deep by 1.8m high but I can't remember the width.

No idea how good they were but I think they were rated for 90kgs per shelf which seemed quite good. Plus each shelf had a slide out drawer type thing.

Not sure if they were plastic or metal but either way they were rated higher than the machine mart budget range.

They were about £21 a peice.

If you have a look around some trading estates , I found loads of the stuff down in Avonmouth left outside in the corner , Just went in and asked and hey presto "Take the lot and how much do you want for clearing it "

Admitidly it was the pallet sized shelving but just cut and weld it to suit ,

Are you able to bolt it to the walls Tony?? If so I've found the cheap shelving from Ikea, Aldi etc works well. If it needs to be free standing, then spending some money on a more robust metal shelving would be worth it in my opinion.

Cheers

Steve

The stuff ciderman is talking about is pallet racking, it's almost as cheap as buying raw steel, slots together and holds 2 Ton per shelf. If you've got the space it makes a lot of sense. If you find a local business clearing out then you may get it for nowt as has been said.

The original link to rapid racking is your best bet - they are the daddies of "proper" shelving, sadly i recently bought some cheap stuff else where and wilst it does the job its not a patch on the real deal and with their buy one get one free it seems even better :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a friend that bought a pallet load of slightly damanged aluminium extension ladders from a large hardware shop and used these for shelving, very strong and adjustable, I think he paid about $40.00 for them.Keep your eyes open at your local hardware.

Papadad