Dizzy waterproofing

darthdicky

http://www.rhel.co.uk/tomcattech/dizzy.htm

Might be one for the archive...

Richard

No ...........more like jackanory

Absolute nonsense .........

submerged waterproofing for a V8 My A%Se

Written by a 'dreamer', who prob picked it from somewhere else.

This will have a small effect only, nothing more

Nige

Not wholy convinced then? ;)

er.............. the abobe is no more than very "basic" and "Sensible" anti-splash V8....and "a start" but nothing more, and certainly nowhere near whats being said of the very minor mods,

...........frankly the 2 litre OJ plastic bottle and bailer twine mounted sheid that many use would prob be better :(

I DO have a "Cunning Plan" for my Dizzy / waterproofing, after much much much reasearch, thoughts and ideas, and I have just started on the mods, not MS, not GEMS or any off the shelf / bought unit, it will be a HTH Kittygurgle waterproofing idea for V8s, its going to take me a long time tio do, so don't expect to hear much on it for a few weeks.....

If and when (er..and if it indeed F works :P) I'll post up.............but it will involve a huge amount of fabrication and work..

...........just hope the thought plans and logic come together....and that it works ? :unsure:

But the above is absolute nonsense talking about waterproofing....other than sensible very BASIC 'antisplash' at best....

Thats why Most V8 have the reputaion for dislike of all things wet.......inc mine big time !...hence my cunning plan....

Nige

If and when (er..and it works) I'll post up.............but it will involve a huge amount of fabrication and work..

...........just hope the thought plans and logic come together....and that it works ? :unsure:

Nige

Oh Gawd! Can expect the Kitty Gripper before next year then???? :lol:;)

Will,

Yes you can.

basically I now have 2 Ff...........ing..............Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jobs. :P

The waterproofing V8 idea 1 days machining so far and about 10% "there" :unsure: .... and the KGs, :rolleyes: ..............but I can only do so much on either job for so long until I freak ! :blink::P:D

As such they could be ready by the end of March,......... have 6 of the things in various "Near Finished states".............and I am equally geting fed up injuring myself on them as they are everywhere. :ph34r:

All the spades are made, .............the mounts plasmad out ..................and I need a weekend of milling and welding to finish them..... B)

Nige

Will,

Yes you can.

basically I now have 2 Ff...........ing..............Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jobs. :P

The waterproofing V8 idea 1 days machining so far and about 10% "there" :unsure: .... and the KGs, :rolleyes: ..............but I can only do so much on either job for so long until I freak ! :blink::P:D

As such they could be ready by the end of March,......... have 6 of the things in various "Near Finished states".............and I am equally geting fed up injuring myself on them as they are everywhere. :ph34r:

All the spades are made, .............the mounts plasmad out ..................and I need a weekend of milling and welding to finish them..... B)

Nige

Nige, if you get to the end of March and you want a hand for a day, just give me a shout.

V8 dizzy waterproffing - almost impossible.

I have used two methods:

Hybrid lightweight used a plastic milk bottle cut and placed over the dizzy. Good enough for virtually all my off roading that it did, only failed twice but they were complete immersions.

Tomcat used a load of bubble wrap placed round the dizzy and leads and was superb in keeping the dizzy going. Infact the last time i had any water probelsm was dur to the hot wite air flow meter giving up because it was wet but not the dizzy!!!

I do not use a dizzy now :D

interestingly the only time a have been COMPLETELY submerged AND kept going (Figheldean ford - but the MOD have gated it now) i had no protection for the dizzy at all........................

Cheers

Nev

prob something to do with the hysterical laughter.... and gearbox crossmember on a "Certain 90" at sodbury last year..... when people rolled under your truck..... looked....... coughed............ laughed and stood up.....

then you said "Yeah But..." :lol: may be a clue ?

I'll get me coat :lol:

Nige

One option I've contemplated is to divert the flow of oil vapour from the rocker covers, through a separator (tdi style) and a flame trap (v8 style) through the distributor and then on to the inlet manifold. This way you get a continuous flow of hot distilled oil vapour & air passing through the dizzy.

A lot of the problem is due to water condensing out on the inside of the cap if it is suddenly cooled by water outside. If the internals are both heated and supplied with oil - this should be less of a problem.

I had figured on drilling a hole in the side of the cap for the oil/air to go in via a plastic, snap-in fitting and another either in the other side of the cap or in the body of the distributor with a slightly smaller bore for the return to the inlet.

The difference in bore should be able to give a slight positive pressure inside the cap to encourage water or steam to stay outside.

Si

I've totally sealed the dizzy on mine, and drilled two holes in the cap, one is plumbed to the vaccuum on the inlet manifold and one goes inside the cab (supposedly warm dry air). I took the dizzy out and pressurised it in the kitchen sink to check it was really waterproof....

Its still absolutely hopeless in the wet!!!!!

Jon

One option I've contemplated is to divert the flow of oil vapour from the rocker covers, through a separator (tdi style) and a flame trap (v8 style) through the distributor and then on to the inlet manifold. This way you get a continuous flow of hot distilled oil vapour & air passing through the dizzy.

A lot of the problem is due to water condensing out on the inside of the cap if it is suddenly cooled by water outside. If the internals are both heated and supplied with oil - this should be less of a problem.

I had figured on drilling a hole in the side of the cap for the oil/air to go in via a plastic, snap-in fitting and another either in the other side of the cap or in the body of the distributor with a slightly smaller bore for the return to the inlet.

The difference in bore should be able to give a slight positive pressure inside the cap to encourage water or steam to stay outside.

Si

Quite a good idea I think. Don't the dizzys have a screw type oil seal in them - like an Archimedes screw on the shaft in case anyone doesn't know? Any oil condensing out in the distributer would run down through the innards and be pumped back into the engine.

A couple of points to consider:

The water condensing on the inside of the cap after wetting the outside would be distilled water and should therefor not carry electricity anyway - or is that an incorrect assumption? If the inside of the cap were free from comtaminants then there would not be a problem anyway - if I am right.

If you had contact breaker points there may be sparks and might be a risk of fire (in an enclised space like a dizzy cap that might read explosion?)

If there were an optical type pick-up then condensed oil may impede operation.

A cracked dizzy cap can cause problems with the spark tracking back to earth, perhaps this would not be a problem with properly and carefully drilled holes.

IIRC PaulW tried something like this, I know he does not use it now but I cannot remember why. Perhaps just with air though.

I once had a Triumph Toledo 1300 in my youth (Like a bobtailed Dolomite) which had a pin-hole in the rocker cover gasket right by the distributer. This sprayed a fine spray of oil over the dizzy cap and would allow me to splash though any puddle without needing to get the WD40 out. I suspect that it was an environmental disater area though!

Cheers

Chris

A couple of points to consider:

The water condensing on the inside of the cap after wetting the outside would be distilled water and should therefor not carry electricity anyway - or is that an incorrect assumption? If the inside of the cap were free from comtaminants then there would not be a problem anyway - if I am right.

Chris, your right about the water but any water soluble contaminants in the cap will dissolve pretty quickly causing it to no longer be de-ionised.

Equally, though, a fine film of insulation over everything in the dizzy won't help the spark either....

Anything to do with engine oil is a no no, I've seen enough Magneto's and Dizzy's duffed due to a blown oil seal meaning that a fine film of oil managed to build up over the components.

Also, as your inlet is sucking air from the engine to try and maintain a reletive-negative pressure, what ever you do with differing size inlet-outlets, your still have a slightly negative pressure helping water capiliary action to take place inwards.

ARB air pressure and possibly adding in a silica-decesiant filter as well sounds the best if you want to play with pressures