Idiot 'off-roaders'

Les Henson

I have read this post with considerable interest and have reached the following conclusion.

GLASS's drivers code of conduct is simply that a code of best practice they enforce on their own members, it is not law. The only law enforcable on rights of way is the highway code and other traffic law, so if he was doing 50 through an area it could be deemed legal as it is a non residential area.

The fact a driver went off the beaten track to drive up a river is selfish of him/her taking into account the efforts of NERC to prevent green laning but not in itself illegal, if the landowner were to complain the worst he could get prosecuted for would be tresspassing and subsequently not worth my efforts to report (as long as no damage was caused. The fact he left the river by going over the grass is open to debate, there remains some scope for the drivers decision making, as GLASS themelves say you may leave the beaten track to go round a unmovable obstacle, all he needs to say is I couldn't get up that so went round, we cannot judge his driving ability and neither will the police based on the poor driving of many road based drivers.

You got sprayed with mud and stone, report the matter to the police and let them deal with it, it is their job.

To those whose generalise in their comments about drivers being the same because of the vehicles they drive, that then must make Land Rover owners the biggest bunch of *DELETED* I have had the misfortune of having crossing my land. I however will not generalise as I have seen drivers of all types of 4x4 behave to the greater extent responsibly.

And yes I do have a Frontera, slightly more modern and comfortable than a Defender and 10 times as reliable as a Discovery. The Freelander, well thats just a waste of money to a farmer, no guts and no carrying capacity. Perfect for the city school run from what Ive seen though

Edward, Kent

EDITED TO REMOVE UNWANTED COMMENTS NOT SUITED TO THIS FORUM. white90

And yes I do have a Frontera, slightly more modern and comfortable than a Defender and 10 times as reliable as a Discovery. The Freelander, well thats just a waste of money to a farmer, no guts and no carrying capacity. Perfect for the city school run from what Ive seen though

Hi Edward and welcome.

I would be very grateful if you could please get your facts straight ? :huh:

In the above example could you please remove the words "Slightly" and "as" and sort out numbers correctly, also add the words "complete" "much" "Than" "or other LRs" and "No Point", this will then be true, ...and we can have a proper arguement, which I will loose, cos the sentence will be correct :

"And yes I do have a Frontera, much more modern and comfortable than a Defender and 100 times more reliable than a Discovery or other LRs. The Freelander, well thats just a complete waste of money to a farmer, no guts and no carrying capacity and No Point. Perfect for the city school run from what Ive seen though" :(

Oh...and I'm not joking either, .....the reliability around LRs is hopeless, and that from an enthusiast !.... :lol:

Nige

Can't believe this macho B-S "my fronty is better than your landy" is still going on!

The guy was caught up to his nads in a naughty position by a Highways Officer. Take it on the chin for Christ sake, learn by it and let's move on. It's no good getting all menopausal over it and trying to attack LR owners for being elitist to use as a smoke screen to cover the original problem.

I'll tell you all something shall I?

There's a youg guy near me, who loved to drive everylane in the area legal or otherwise, across farmers fields etc, and brag about it on LRO's forum. One day he was going so fast he crashed into a tree and stoved the front of his S2 in. He even posted pics on the forum for all and sundry to look at. Now I had taken him down to our club site and showed him around, and he might have joined. However as a responsible club member I, with the approval of the comminttee, posted a statement on the thread to the effect that not only was he not a member of SLROC, but he would never be, and that if I ever saw him, or any other 4 wheeler driving recklessly on Rights of Way, I would photograph and then pass on the details to the relevant authorities.

The guy hasn't spoken to me since, which doesn't bother me one little bit.

Is that being too harsh?

I don't think so, and would do it again. I feel passionately that we are fighting a losing battle and that sort of info posted on an open forum will only provide more ammo for the groups that want rid of us.

If the RA have seen this, which I'm sure they have, they are probably laughing heartily at the infighting in what is essentially a single user group.

I am all for self policing, but if some are not willing to listen then it's all for nothing and we might as well just hand over the bluddy three percent we can use, right now!

Edward - with respect, what you say is quite correct. He was driving legally and committed a couple of minor civil offences (such as trespass)which could be pursued through the courts if it was worth the money, which it isn't. That's not the issue here. Nor has anyone taken the Frontera as anything other than a identifier for this individual.

The point is, the man was driving like an arse. Subsequently he was rude (perhaps in the face of Fi's provocation). Whether he was in a Frontera, Vectra, rickshaw or pair of woolly socks he represents us all so he shouldn't rise to her bait.

Thank you all for the response,

I had no intention of defending the person responsible because he is a Frontera driver, I merely wished to point out he was for the most part doing nothing illegal.

How would you respond if I were to say you can't come on my land even though a right of way is that damaged you cant traverse it, the law says you can so you will get aggravated and point out the law entitles you to go off the track because its impassible and ultimately I have no authority to deny you. The same applies, you have no authority to confront someone for doing nothing illegal, you are not policemen you are off roaders the same as him. A friendly introduction a brief chat about the route ahead and a suggestion they visit the GLASS website if they plan on green laning regularly as they can help keep greenlaning free should be all that is said, amd may have avoided all unpleasantries, not a lecture on what they can and cant do because GLASS think it is good practice. The fact it was a Highways Officer makes it worse rather than better are they not supposed to deal with the civilian population with courtesy and a measure of decorum being officials?.

If I were to go into the so called macho my 4x4 is better than yours debate, Ill side with the guy in a monster truck :)

How would you respond if I were to say you can't come on my land even though a right of way is that damaged you cant traverse it, the law says you can so you will get aggravated and point out the law entitles you to go off the track because its impassible and ultimately I have no authority to deny you. The same applies, you have no authority to confront someone for doing nothing illegal, you are not policemen you are off roaders the same as him. A friendly introduction a brief chat about the route ahead and a suggestion they visit the GLASS website if they plan on green laning regularly as they can help keep greenlaning free should be all that is said, amd may have avoided all unpleasantries, not a lecture on what they can and cant do because GLASS think it is good practice. The fact it was a Highways Officer makes it worse rather than better are they not supposed to deal with the civilian population with courtesy and a measure of decorum being officials?.

I wasn't there, so I don't know exactly what was said, but why do you jump to the conclusion that any more than what you are suggesting was said?

Either way, it certainly doesn't excuse the behaviour of the driver in question following the discussion. There seems to be no dispute that he deliberately did damage to the verge (which he did not need or have any legal right to be on, so far as I can tell - no-one else appears to have found that part of the track impassable) and that he did so in order to carry out what I would imagine is at least technically an assault or breach of the peace.

Neither did he have any need to drive up the river in order to get round an impassable section of the byeway, but no-one is suggesting that was the most heinous crime ever committed - had he responded by saying "Sorry - I didn't realise I was doing anything wrong, but I can see how it could cause a lot of trouble for everyone." Then everyone would have parted friends and this thread would not exist.

While there are certainly parts of the GLASS code of conduct that are suggestions as to how to behave in a way which helps us get on with other road users and minimise our impact on unsurfaced roads, the points in question here are points of law. Unlike the GLASS code this is not voluntary.

LMFAO as mentioned white frontera drivers attitude was one of aggression didnt seem that way from my boyfriends point of view (the boy with the video camera) as he saw it the lady mentioned was rather rude and had a bad attuide herself, think this was due to our vehicles being fronteras. as for damage to the area there is no prof that it was any off them. get a grip on yourselfs.

So your boyfriend has a video of it?

Lets see the whole thing then!

The police may like to see it too, (un-edited ofcourse)

Lara.

Woohoo finger pointing!

So the guy was a prat, how about the clubs who only lane in the winter and look for the wettest lanes, how about the guys and girls who lane in TSL Boggers/Simex/Diamond backs/Broncos/Chacos/superrutshaggers. What about the laners who glorify deep water crossings. What about all the times vehicles have churned up wet byways. What about events held on byways. What about a large chunk of the TRF. What about all the things we have all done that we shouldn't.

Bl**dy holier that thou attitude really p*ss*s me off

There isn't a laner on here who can truly say that he can cast the first stone - I know I can't even stand by the gravel pile

How many of you use aggressive tyres on wet lanes?

How many of you lane after heavy rain

How many of you drive in groups of more than four

How many of you have driven lanes you know need a winch

I could go on with the how many list until the end of the day!

Hey Les, remember the Fosse Way ford, by the side of the bridge? Or laning with Chris Daniel back in the mid 90's... I've still go the pictures of that ford somewhere, from the day the TRO was put on the Fosse

So your boyfriend has a video of it?

Lets see the whole thing then!

The police may like to see it too, (un-edited ofcourse)

Lara.

Why would the police be interested? I don't know the full story nor was there but although he may have got verbally abusive a member of the public, other than that possibly tresspassing, what laws were being broken?

Why would the police be interested? I don't know the full story nor was there but although he may have got verbally abusive a member of the public, other than that possibly tresspassing, what laws were being broken?

Try Criminal damage OR at the very least attempted criminal damage by wheel spinning on purpose, trying to cover other vehicles with mud and stones etc, Then you could try "reckless driving" (it is a public highway remember) etc etc. According to the strict letter of the (British) law, it is a prosecutable offence to drive recklessly in your own private garden or field!

Read a few law books, you could have a real field day if you forgive the pun ;)

Regards,

Lara.

Bl**dy holier that thou attitude really p*ss*s me off

There isn't a laner on here who can truly say that he can cast the first stone - I know I can't even stand by the gravel pile

I wouldn't pretend to be perfect - however, I don't throw a tantrum if someone points out the error of my ways. I thank them and take it on board. Part of being an adult...

Try Criminal damage OR at the very least attempted criminal damage by wheel spinning on purpose, trying to cover other vehicles with mud and stones etc, Then you could try "reckless driving" (it is a public highway remember) etc etc. According to the strict letter of the (British) law, it is a prosecutable offence to drive recklessly in your own private garden or field!

Read a few law books, you could have a real field day if you forgive the pun ;)

Regards,

Lara.

I believe "Using a motorised Vehicle as a Weapon" goes down well with the cops <_<