This week I am mostly......

roguevogue

Today I started to gather the bits together to build my new car, this will be mechanically based on a Suzuki Vitara, I am planning on using my Landcruiser axles with a custom chassis and rollcage/spaceframe. I will of course be including as many Landrover parts as possible in order to comply with forum rules. :rtfm:

I am aiming for a light :hysterical: , narrow car with as little overhang as possible front and rear.

First, procure one dead Vitara...(1600 petrol auto) :ph34r:

DSCN0453.jpg

Having variously cut the body into bits I am left with the engine and gearbox/transfer box combination in the rolling chassis which is tiny! ;)

DSCN0465.jpg

Can you guess why it cost £50? :o

DSCN0467.jpg

So, not the best start, left with the engine gearbox.

101_1692.jpg

I have the axles from the RogueVogue which need the brackets removing for new custom ones to be fabricated, I guess we will see what tomorrow brings! :rolleyes:

Very interesting. It looks like you are going for the cut vitara transfer box + SJ transfer box for double low gearing. With that autobox, it looks like it will be a very long engine/tranny combination. What sort of wheelbase will you be aiming for?

Regards,

Diff

Very interesting. It looks like you are going for the cut vitara transfer box + SJ transfer box for double low gearing. With that autobox, it looks like it will be a very long engine/tranny combination. What sort of wheelbase will you be aiming for?

Regards,

Diff

Oooh, you don't miss much do you.

I am indeed intending to use an SJ transfer box so have cut the front output off the transfer box. I am aiming for 100" wheelbase and yes, the combination is long but the rear prop will only just be shorter than a standard SWB series.

Oooh, you don't miss much do you.

I am indeed intending to use an SJ transfer box so have cut the front output off the transfer box. I am aiming for 100" wheelbase and yes, the combination is long but the rear prop will only just be shorter than a standard SWB series.

Sounds great, looking forward to following the build.

Regards,

Diff

Tony, he shouldn't worry about keeping me away.... It's Paul he's got to watch. How long's he been building his new truck for now???? :ph34r::ph34r: :ph34r:

Sorry Paul, I couldn't resist!

Nick, it does look like an interesting project. What's the taget weight? It's going to have to be very light with only a 1600cc in there although a nice supercharger would help :P

I started off this morning with chassis rails constructed from 100x50 box section, I have added tubular turrets at the front to mount the shocks on and to give me a point to work back from.

101_1732.jpg

I positioned the engine and gearbox between the rails and chocked the SJ transfer box with blocks of wood prior to final mounting.

101_1731.jpg

The front winch mount is also the front cross member, I bent 48mm 3mm wall 316 stainless tube, thus removing the need for a separate fairlead.

101_1701.jpg

101_1702.jpg

The front winch in position in close proximity to the steering box etc. but keeping the front approach as short as possible. Mocked up with a Rover front axle case to make sure it misses the sump.

101_1708.jpg

The whole assembly is screwed to a pallet in order that I can use the forklift to shift it about, tomorrow I will strip axle cases and look at mounting them etc.

I'm tired now!

mm.. coming together Nick,,

Just wonder when those pictures were taken :ph34r:

You Too!

Looking Good Nick. Shame It wasn't a V6 Vitara, That would have been nice. All alloy motor with a fair bit more power than the 1600 but not much more weight.

Like the front winch mount, Very similar to the stuff Northern Chris was building.

Pay attention Chris :P

He gone and Palletized it chassis wise, being now of wood with the engine screwed to it

it will float at "Neil the Fish"s deepoer sections at events :lol:

Frankly Nick you need to stop sleeping, eating and drinking tea (I see the cup in the pic)

and get on with it, .....otherwise you'll be at risk of the "Not a 10 day Build" thread :P

Nige

Frankly Nick you need to stop sleeping, eating and drinking tea (I see the cup in the pic)

and get on with it, .....otherwise you'll be at risk of the "Not a 10 day Build" thread :P

Nige

Stop eating and sleeping yes but no tea?????? A man can not build a truck without Tea!!!!