110 Td5 Traction Control

I was called to rescue another member of the family today. My mother had got her 110 stuck in a rather wet fields with a stock trailer full of sheep attached.

The 110 is a 2006 Td5 model with traction control and ABS. It only has the factory fitted 235/85x16 General Grabber APs, so not great in this situation anyway.

I did manage to drive it out eventually with plenty of right foot, having unhitched the trailer, but I was not convinced that there was much help coming from the TC. I was under the impression that there would be some audible signs of the TC doing its thing, but none were heard.

What evidence should I expect to prove that it's working? The TC light on the dash was lit up. Diff lock was engaged too, tried high and low box.

As the 110 will soon be 3 years old I would like to have any malfunctions fixed before the warranty expires.

TIA

I was called to rescue another member of the family today. My mother had got her 110 stuck in a rather wet fields with a stock trailer full of sheep attached.

The 110 is a 2006 Td5 model with traction control and ABS. It only has the factory fitted 235/85x16 General Grabber APs, so not great in this situation anyway.

I did manage to drive it out eventually with plenty of right foot, having unhitched the trailer, but I was not convinced that there was much help coming from the TC. I was under the impression that there would be some audible signs of the TC doing its thing, but none were heard.

What evidence should I expect to prove that it's working? The TC light on the dash was lit up. Diff lock was engaged too, tried high and low box.

As the 110 will soon be 3 years old I would like to have any malfunctions fixed before the warranty expires.

TIA

I'm no expert but looking at the handbook:

If the TC light was always on even when you weren't spinning wheels I think it indicates a fault, see attached page from the manual.

The other possibility is that if all 4 wheels were spinning then the TC may not be detecting enough of a differential in wheel speeds to operate correctly.

Colin.

post-12380-1236718349_thumb.jpg

Err, there was no shortage of welly - 2nd high and boot full of revs got a lot of mud up the doors :D

Colin's suggestion of all wheels spinning preventing slip detection sounds possible, just surprised if they all began spinning together but ya never know...

I seem to recall reading in magazines about lots of clattering from the clever under bonnet stuff when it operates. Or is that just journalistic license? :unsure:

You'll hear it working and the ETC light will come on. The ABS modulator is right next to the brake servo so you will hear the racket. Won't get you out of every situation, I got mine stuck in a bog after sliding off a track, took 3 vehicles to get me out :lol: The ETC worked so hard in conjunction with messing with throttle it stalled the engine a couple of times. It also shuts itself off to cool down after a while IIRC what the manual says.

Yup, it does make a fair noise (like a t..t..t..t...t...t...t...t..t..t) and the TC light will be on the dash.

As you unhooked the trailer and managed to get off the site I'd say it was working just fine. They need to invest in some proper tyres if they are going to be doing this a lot.

It is a good system, I've followed defenders, discos, toyotas etc through some really sloppy stuff on bald road tyres and I know that wouldn't have been possible without the TC.

A quick and easy check will be to pop two wheels on the grass and pull off with a good few revs. You should hear it clicking away and see the light come on.

AS above it's very audible clicking sound. Also in slippery conditions when not in ruts you get a pronounced side to side sliding motion on the rears wheels.

Seeing as you didn't notice any of these it could be faulty.

An easy way to test is on a CLEAR road drive over a manhole cover on one side when braking heavily. This will typically induce enough slippage to have TC and ABS cut in momentarily.

Steve

If all 4 wheels are spinning TC will do you no good anyway!

The TC system does not measure the difference in speed between the wheels, but the difference in the rate of change of acceleration of the wheels.

It is a good system, but if you are on cr*p tyres in the first place don't expect miracles.

This one was a limited edition 110 SW in silver with Special Vehicles badge. It came with tons of extras by default - TC, ABS, anti-roll bars, EWs in front, remote CDL, half leather seats, silly rubber A bar and spots, side running boards, black checquer plate kit, Boost alloys, air con and more.

Had it from new and it's coming up for 45k miles. I still don't think it's nice to drive as the Tdi we had before.

In my 2005 90 I could always hear the TC working. And it proved very usefull as well.

However, it was prone to overheating and shutting itself off. So I'm thinking after some attempts, the TC could very well have been shut off, indicated by the constant light (when working, it should be blinking).