Found a use for Land Rover alarms...

geoffbeaumont

... - they let you know when your rear view mirror falls off :angry:

The annoying bit is that this isn't the first time - I stuck it back on with a new pad a couple of days ago, but it's come off the windscreen. Anyone got any tips on what to clean the windscreen with to make sure it sticks properly? White spirit clearly doesn't cut it :(

White spirit is no good at all, it leaves on oil film, which stops your adhesive from adhering.

Something like Iso Propyl Alcohol, Carbon Tetrachlorise, or even Methylated Spirits would be better.

I've never had success with thos pads, there's a product from Unibond IIRC, called 'Rear View Mirror Bonder' or something very similar. Consists of a small piece of mesh which you cut to size and a tube of something sticky. You'll only need it once.

araldite, if you put a small amount on. ;) My old rover 216 shed mirrors regularly till I glued it. I tried all the magic sticky pads etc.

If you need a new windscreen at any point a paint scraper pushed between will remove glass from mirror. But not always without breaking the glass.

Pete

araldite, if you put a small amount on. ;) My old rover 216 shed mirrors regularly till I glued it. I tried all the magic sticky pads etc.

If you need a new windscreen at any point a paint scraper pushed between will remove glass from mirror. But not always without breaking the glass.

Pete

ive always used a high modulus silicone never had any probs

The pads will work fine if you clean with methylated spirits and let it dry off before applying pad to glass. We always use them, changing windscreens is a way of life here (gravel roads...) and they don't usually fall off. Warming the glass up if the weather is cold doesn't hurt either.

I've never had success with thos pads, there's a product from Unibond IIRC, called 'Rear View Mirror Bonder' or something very similar. Consists of a small piece of mesh which you cut to size and a tube of something sticky. You'll only need it once.

+1 The only way IMHO.

Chris

Also don't forget to apply pressure to the pad for about 10-20 seconds to make sure it has stuck.

Also the sticky pad is sided, can't remember which side the green peel off goes but it needs to be the right way round so the right side of the sticky sees sunlight.

Also don't forget to apply pressure to the pad for about 10-20 seconds to make sure it has stuck.

Also the sticky pad is sided, can't remember which side the green peel off goes but it needs to be the right way round so the right side of the sticky sees sunlight.

Did that bit - when I bought the pad I was told green side goes to the screen.

Nothing wrong with the sticky pads if applied correctly.

Clean the glass and mirror stem with meths or alcohol wipes.

Apply pad to mirror (green side to screen) then run the mirror stem/pad under a hot tap to activate the glue.

Peel off the green backing and stick to the screen, hold firmly for 20/30 seconds.

Job done.

Nothing wrong with the sticky pads if applied correctly.

Clean the glass and mirror stem with meths or alcohol wipes.

Apply pad to mirror (green side to screen) then run the mirror stem/pad under a hot tap to activate the glue.

Peel off the green backing and stick to the screen, hold firmly for 20/30 seconds.

Job done.

No one told me anything about running it under the hot tap...no wonder it didn't last :rolleyes: