Front axle cock-up

Les Henson

As usual, I'm truly impressed with your fabrication and welding skills Les.

Now I'm going a bit O/T.

Now I don't thing that this is the case for you, but when it comes to drilling in general, and redrilling in particual, I always become a bit unsure about getting it right. Especially when it comes to adjusting things, like in this case.

How do you others feel about this? Any good hints to think about when drilling?

Hi Les,

How did it go?

Have you retried the Diff and halfshafts yet? Apparently the key is to see if the halfshafts bind?

I spoke to Tomcat Motorsport about the way to do what you have done.

They had two comments, the 1st was to use a jig (well done there) the second was that with good welding you won't need a sleeve as well. It won't matter now that you have finished.

So the big question, does it all fit now? I hope so as you have made a really great job of the work.

Marc.

Hi Les,

Having investigated the axle ends a bit, I was told that LR use some really complicated sounding bit of kit to friction weld the ends onto the axle tube.

Its a shame that they did not go the way that other (US) manufactures did which is to slide the axle end over the tube then weld.

This way it is easy to change an end to alter the angle or narraow the axle.

Marc.

From the start of the thread, tummy grumbles at the thought of cut-welding the axle! All i can foresee is an axle torn to peices on a day when there is a serious competetion!! After all we tell ourselves to use the time we need.. No rush and don't let time be the factor hindring you from doing the task well!! :huh:

"Contemplation is the haste of time" ..

i can understand why you have cut and rewelded the tube to get the swivel castor angle right.... but your diff nose will still be pointing in the wrong direction wont it?

I must admit that I have the same concern unless I have missed something.

Marc.

didnt you say earlier in the thread that you set the diff nose angle with the axle upside down and thats what caused this problem?

I dont get how simply turning the swivel flange will have cured the problem?

didnt you say earlier in the thread that you set the diff nose angle with the axle upside down and thats what caused this problem?

I dont get how simply turning the swivel flange will have cured the problem?

:rolleyes: use a bit of common sense,

the axle was turned to be the right way up & jigged as it would be if fitted to the parent vehicle.

Correct (phew) :) The axle is positioned as it would be when fitted to the vehicle, so the right way up and the diff nose set, then the flanges cut off, set in the right position, then welded back on :)

Les.

but wont the spring seats now be wrong?

sorry i havent got ms paint so i'll try and describe...

when you originally set it all up and welded on the spring perches - the perches were level, the diff nose pointed down and the flanges pointed backwards giving rubbish castor angle. In other words upside down.

you cut the flanges off and welded them back on at the correct angle whilst the spring perches were level. This gives the correct castor angle in relation to the spring perches when its mounted to the vehicle. So the diff will still be pointing in the wrong way in relation to the spring perches when they are in the level position?

That's what I thought, but bowed to superior knowledge. :huh:

Anyway the solution is easy, just cut the axle on the inboard side of the spring seats and rotate again :D

sorry i havent got ms paint so i'll try and describe...

when you originally set it all up and welded on the spring perches - the perches were level, the diff nose pointed down and the flanges pointed backwards giving rubbish castor angle. In other words upside down.

you cut the flanges off and welded them back on at the correct angle whilst the spring perches were level. This gives the correct castor angle in relation to the spring perches when its mounted to the vehicle. So the diff will still be pointing in the wrong way in relation to the spring perches when they are in the level position?

From previous posts on this, if the pinion angle is correct with the new spring seats as set then the flange angle (ooerr) must have needed changing any way. otherwise the rest would be wrong now.

Well done again Les for sorting it out and sharing with everyone.

Marc.