Concealed switch

bishbosh

I need a push button switch (momentary).

I want to conceal it so ideally it needs to be teeny tiny. Doesn't need a high current capacity - say 5 amps.

So, any ideas? VWP only has relatively large items.

I want to conceal it so ideally it needs to be teeny tiny. Doesn't need a high current capacity - say 5 amps.

Ask in your electronics parts store instead of an automotive electrics supplier. I have personally installed momentary switches where the button was a cylinder of say 4 mm in diameter that protuded approx 2 mm above the panel. They had a little sleeve behind the burron and was held in place by a nut screwed onto the housing from behind the panel.

Doubt they would take 12V 5 Amps though, they were for electronics, where 5 Amps is considered "high power, heavy duty", but they can surely take enough to drive a solid state "relay".

Inquire in an electronics parts store instead of an automotive electrics supplier. The type of store that sells veroboard, wellemann kits and the like.

I have personally installed momentary switches where the button was a cylinder of say 4 mm in diameter that protuded approx 2 mm above the panel. They had a little sleeve behind the burron and was held in place by a nut screwed onto the housing from behind the panel.

Doubt they would take 12V 5 Amps though, they were for electronics, where 5 Amps is considered "high power, heavy duty", but they can surely take enough to drive a solid state "relay".

<_<

Another option would be to use a spare existing console button if one exists for your vehicle.

I wired a fuel pump cutoff up to a heated seat switch in my mates old nova.

My disco has "volume up" and "Volume down" buttons on the speedo console for the original stereo. These would be ideal for this purpose.

As was said above, a microwave momentary switch behind some vinyl or fabric, or even a magnetic reed switch so you need to be carrying a magnet to operate it?

Worth bearing in mind that it's a very short amount of time required to get a Tdi running by bypassing any such security device (although I'm obviously not going to post up the method, intelligent criminals only please...)

Something like a hidden fuel cutoff solenoid connected to the hidden switch would be quite good for a TDi as it wouldnt be expected, and if you stick it above the tank it'd be quite hard to actually notice whats going on.

Cutting the fuel solenoid on the pump or the starter feed is easily bypassed by anyone with half a brain, as turbocharger says, so you need to try and think of alternative methods, and a hidden fuel solenoid might just do the job!

Hi I think the switch you are looking for is called a "push to make" type have a look here http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2493

These might be to big though all the best

James

In my experience, the best place to hide anything is in plain sight.

Chris

Didn't work for me. I just left my laptop case and phone on the bonnet of the Defender while I went into Sainsburys and neither were there when I got back! :(

I'm now starting to question the advice given on this forum :angry:

Didn't work for me. I just left my laptop case and phone on the bonnet of the Defender while I went into Sainsburys and neither were there when I got back! :(

I'm now starting to question the advice given on this forum :angry:

D'OH!

Not handed to customer services I suppose?

Chris