law on driving a car with no mot

jacks906

been looking at buying another car but what are the law on driving it with out an mot can you drive it as long as your going to a test station etc?

i no it needs abitta welding on the chassis but everything else is spot on brakes, lights, engine, gearbox etc all work fine the only problem is its 170 miles away :(

other option is to pay someone to fetch it up from down south not a problem but its sunday so just thinking of other options too

it will be insured and is tax exempt so both will be sorted before pickup.

cheers all

dave (awaiting to be abused for thinking summat stupid)

If you are booked into and going to the MOT station then you are covered. BUT if your driving it on a sunday what MOT station would be open?

I would get it trailered home its the safest and best option, especially as you know it would fail an MOT.

I asked the DVLA about this, they said

You can drive it to an MOT test without a current MOT or tax if

1) the test is pre-arranged

2) you are insured

Obviously if you get pulled you can still be done for any faults Mr Plod finds.

They did not mention anything about the distance you drive to the test!

the mot station down the road from me is open on a sunday so not a problem there an would go striaght there if if it had too only 40quid so dont mind that better than 60 quid an 3 points or what ever it is

i will enquire tomorrow on getting it trailered to me as it'll be next sunday when i get it if i do but 170miles i cant see it being cheap

cheers

dave

the mot station down the road from me is open on a sunday so not a problem there an would go striaght there if if it had too only 40quid so dont mind that better than 60 quid an 3 points or what ever it is

i will enquire tomorrow on getting it trailered to me as it'll be next sunday when i get it if i do but 170miles i cant see it being cheap

cheers

dave

Get some sort of written confirmation of the appointment, and make sure you'll get to the MOT staion in time.

I think the testing station has to be reasonably local, even if the DVLA haven't told you that. If you book it in for a test that is 170 miles away and you get caught, I seriously don't think that the police are going to accept that you are acting lawfully and that what you are doing is genuine.

get it trailered to save the hassle.

I think the testing station has to be reasonably local, even if the DVLA haven't told you that. If you book it in for a test that is 170 miles away and you get caught, I seriously don't think that the police are going to accept that you are acting lawfully and that what you are doing is genuine.

Damn! I was just thinking of booking an MoT at my nephews village (300 miles away) and having a weekend up there!

Not really ;)

get it trailered to save the hassle.

J @mes is quite correct,

This would be subject to something called the 'reasonable man' test, so if a reasonable man would epect to book and MOT 170 miles away then the police would support your defence. In this case I think a 'reasonable man' would not think it 'reasonable' to drive this distance.

Also if its an MOT failure with advisories and you have not attempted to rectify the faults you might get your vehicle immeidately prohibited from the road and points + prizes on your licence.

Im down south at the mo, but by the time you consider fuel costs and trailer hire, you might be cheaper to get it welded down here... I do know of a good mobile mechanic.

i'm not able to tow other wise i would happily to rent a trailer and drive down to get it so was just looking at other option.

a test down there then drive home maybe then i have the failure test sheet

dave

i'm not able to tow other wise i would happily to rent a trailer and drive down to get it so was just looking at other option.

a test down there then drive home maybe then i have the failure test sheet

dave

Then you can't say you didn't know the car had faults.

The law's a bit silly, it's OK to drive failed car back from a test, but you can still get nicked for doing so!

i wasnt aware that driving a car with no MOT would net you points....

its a non-endorsable offence, so you could be fined, probably in the region of 30-60quid.

Defects present may present an opportunity to give you points however... but the lack of MOT in itself is only a fine.

IE, fully road legal car but no MOT = £60 fine (for instance)

However a Car that has no MOT and a bald tyre, well then your looking at 3points for the bald tyre and a fine on top.

No MOT is a £60 fine, no points.

Bear in mind that is it is a real shed and likely to fail an MOT, it could get prohibited on the spot.

If it were me, I'd think taking something 170 miles for an MOT was a bit cheeky. I would trailer it, or get the seller to take it to a local garage for an MOT to be ready for when you arrive.

Sanity Check time ? :ph34r:

If it needs welding on the chassis then its not going to pass MOT

Driving anything without an MOT is not the brightest of moves.

If it has major faults (as per needs welding) don't trust your / others lives

to a quick drive home hoping you don't get caught. Just how good are those brakes

that steering joint, that brake pipe thats nearly corroded through, :unsure:

If anything has an MOT its worth more than the same without

so the fact is doesn't / has welding needed, means it won't pass

Knowingly buying a car, setting out driving the same, and then having an

accident / get stopped by the Police for minor infringement of something

then arguing around an MOT booked in etc etc 200 miles away etc etc etc

is just not worth it, have an accident - your fault or not ...and things become

the stuff of nightmares

Hire a SHB 1104x4 and trailer or get it collected / delivered

Nige

Hi,

As this thread looks to nearing the end of it's discussion, I would like to ask a similar question which would follow on this?

I have a Series 1 with out an MOT and currently on a SORN.

I need to take it for an MOT which is OK without a valid MOT or TAX if pre-booked.

However driving a vehicle whilst SORN is a £3,000 fine.

Does anyone know the regs for this as the SORN site does not mention it?

Cheers,

Marc

You can only get a vehicle off a SORN by getting an MOT.

You can only get VEL if you have a valid MOT.

I would suggest that driving to a pre-booked MOT without VEL and while SORN would be acceptable. Take the garage's phone number in case you get stopped. The only way DVLA would find out it was being driven while SORN is if a report is submitted by the Police, which they shouldn't do as you will be able to demonstrate that you are on the way to your MOT.

Hi,

As this thread looks to nearing the end of it's discussion, I would like to ask a similar question which would follow on this?

I have a Series 1 with out an MOT and currently on a SORN.

I need to take it for an MOT which is OK without a valid MOT or TAX if pre-booked.

However driving a vehicle whilst SORN is a £3,000 fine.

Does anyone know the regs for this as the SORN site does not mention it?

Cheers,

Marc

I have just done precisely this. I did in fact have an encounter with Mr Plod while I was waiting for the garage to open - they were quite happy with my untaxed, un MOT'd and still SORNed vehicle. I had insurance of course and showed them the paperwork.

Talking of insurance, if you do intend to drive over 100 miles to an MOT tell your insurance you are doing exactly that, they may refuse to cover you, in which case you have a definitive answer to the question.

The wrong time to find out they won't cover you is by the roadside in the company of the Boys in Blue.

The insurance CANNOT refuse to cover you. It states in ALL policies that nothing contained within the policy will reduce the level of cover below that of the minimum required by the road traffic act.

If you have valid insurance, its valid, regardless of whether the car has an MOT or not.

The insurance CANNOT refuse to cover you. It states in ALL policies that nothing contained within the policy will reduce the level of cover below that of the minimum required by the road traffic act.

If you have valid insurance, its valid, regardless of whether the car has an MOT or not.

Quite true.

I believe the same also applies to limited mileage policies if/when you exceed the mileage.