Britpart radiator - quality issues or just unlucky?

Tetsu0san

I recently bought a radiator from Island4x4 (who are very good btw) to fit my 300Tdi Disco.

The part arrived and I made efforts to fit it. The old one came out with a little struggle (what was left of it) and I fitted the new one in. Which brings me on to my problem...

The new radiator is just too tall. The vertical plate on car to the left of the radiator rubs on the top of the radiator and the top plate that covers the radiator and the intercooler was bent like a bananna (well not that bad but you know what I mean) when it was all bolted together.

I wasn't happy with this and removed the thing and checked that everything was in the right place and nothing was causing the radiator to sit at an angle. This was all fine so I measured the radiator against the original one and at some places, namely the end away from the intercooler was nearly 10mm taller than the original radiator.

Is this just where I have been unlucky and got a badly made one, or is this what I can expect when buying after-market parts? I know a lot of people tend to slag Britpart stuff, and even Island4x4 said that some Britpart stuff is rubbish, but they said that their radiators are generally OK.

Island4x4 have agreed to take the radiator back, which as a customer is something I can't fault, but if I get another Britpart radiator am I due for the same sorts of issues?

Also, are all 300Tdi radiators with an oil cooler integrated the same? Would one from a Defender or a Range Rover fit into a Disco?

Cheers

Are you sure it's the right radiator? I find it hard to believe something like that can accidentally be made the wrong size - despite the above poster ;) I'd be surprised if you bought a wheel bearing and it was half an inch too big, regardless of who made it :unsure:

i had the exact same problem...... new rad arrived.... went to fit it and couldnt work out why it woundlnt fit....

much head scratching and we worked out that it was just too tall...........on the phone to paddocks again.

well after much searching it seems there are a bad batch of rads out there at the moment. sent it back and went else where in the end. they couldnt promise that i wouldnt get the same again as they didnt know how far the problem went :o

a bad batch of rads out there at the moment

Replace the word 'rads' with any L/R product you care to think of :)

Surely we should have something about Britpart in the tech archive by now?

Perhaps a comical sub-forum would be a laugh - doing the same job every few weeks/learining by someone else's mistakes :lol:

Les.

I honestly don't know how Britpart keep their ISO 9001 certification... as their quality is carp.

That's because ISO9001 is a bit like Investors In People, the AA/RAC accreditation schemes and many more............It's about having documented processes rather than a real test of quality.

The fact that once the ISO assessor has left the building the files containing the documents simply gather dust has nothing to do with being able to show the accreditation on your publicity material.................

If you then buy cheap stuff from the lowest bidder and move it on as quick as you can, living with the odd complaint from the vociferous minority, you still have a business.

I'm surprised - given what I have read on this forum since I joined it - that any member bothers with Britpart products! :blink:

Complete bull**** in other words.

You are so right - and when (like mine) your business has to get them and the accreditation process costs about £2k for each one.........................................quite depressing really! :(

Ah but I was told, all that ISO9001 does is prove you have the process to ensure you can produce exactly the same quality. i.e. if your initial product is cr*p, then with ISO9001 you can guarantee that you will consistently make cr*p hence they keep the accreditation!

:lol:

much head scratching and we worked out that it was just too tall...........on the phone to paddocks again.

well after much searching it seems there are a bad batch of rads out there at the moment. sent it back and went else where in the end. they couldnt promise that i wouldnt get the same again as they didnt know how far the problem went :o

Oh S%$*t! I have just ordered a new radiator from Paddocks. It should be here today. Ohhhhhh... :wacko: