Dash Speakers

I'm currently trying to install a pair of round speakers into the lower dash panel of my 90 - the ones that point at your shins.

I'm hoping to holesaw a pair of holes into the lower dash panels to sink the speakers into as far as I can.

Is anyone familiar with what (if anything) is on the bulkhead side of the lower dash panels. I'm thinking about any strengthening ribs / joints / wires etc that I might hit with the holesaw if I crack on and put the holes where I think they'd be best.

Ideally if there is anything, if someone has said panel kicking about, I'd be grateful if they could take a picture of the back of it and measure any vital bits etc.

TIA

Si

on the passenger side you fit the speaker in the removable section that covers the wiper motor

if you are using L/R speakers all well and good if not you'll need x 2 spacers to get the speaker rear away from the motor itself

If you look real close you can see the x2 spacers on the passenger side

IMG_0113.JPG

on the drivers side if you remove the switch panel with 3 switches you can see behind the dash and keep any wiring clear, there aren't any ribs/bars loom in close proximity, using 1 spacer to keep the hole size down.

The spacers are 10mm IIRC

IMG_0336.JPG

shows the drivers side

I drilled a series of holes then joined them with a hacksaw blade.

After looking at the amount of space on the passenger side due to the wiper motor, I decided to mount mine either side of the fuse box, on a small MDF frame. At least they point the correct direction for sending sound to the occupants, even if the actual speakers are pretty poo. :D

I have 2 Pioneer speakers in that location with a single spacer between the speaker & dash, works fine but I didn't have to cut any holes as LR fitted a pair of speakers from new, so it was a straightforward replacement.

Sorry to Chang-Hai this thread but I have a problem that is sort of connected. I have speakers already in place (albeit OE cr*p ones) and wish to fit a new CD player. The 110 has never had a radio fitted so before I attack the facia to make the cut-out - what is inside to mount the Cd player in? Because my 110 has air-co there is a facia above the normal dash which kind of blocks your view of whats inside and has clock, ciggy lighter, oil temp and chrge gauge fitted. Can this be removed easily to sort out the connections to the back of the unit and how do you get the feeds from the fuse box?

Found this picture of a NAS 110 dash, similar to your 110, not sure how to fit a radio/cd player into it, I've looked in my RAVE cd's for accessory fitting info it only gives info on how to fit a radio to a non-air con vehicle.

NAS110Dash.jpg

Or go to a scrappy and get a pair of late Vauxhall Cavalier front door speakers for pennies. They are 20-50w ones and some are 2 way coaxial units. You can surface mount them on the lower dash with 3 self tappers (they even have mounting ears on them), but you may need to cut a hole to clear the magnet. Maplin do a 5"grille FJ38R for £2.49 thats an exact push fit on using the rubber gasket round the grille. :D:P

Found this picture of a NAS 110 dash, similar to your 110, not sure how to fit a radio/cd player into it, I've looked in my RAVE cd's for accessory fitting info it only gives info on how to fit a radio to a non-air con vehicle.

NAS110Dash.jpg

Thanks Ralph, thats exactly my set-up. I see that they have the CD unit set into a revised cubby box which might be easier as I can't see how to get the grey facia off and do not want to b*gger it up in the process.

Thanks Ralph, thats exactly my set-up. I see that they have the CD unit set into a revised cubby box which might be easier as I can't see how to get the grey facia off and do not want to b*gger it up in the process.

There's not enough depth behind the aircon facia to accomodate a standard head unit.

On the non-aircon facia Land Rover used to fit a grey plastic housing to hold the head unit at an angle in the middle of the dash, this also wasn't deep enough to accomodate a DIN standard head unit. The head unit Land Rover fitted at the factory was a Philips model that wasn't as deep as a DIN sized unit.

I fitted a standard sized Pioneer head unit into the oblong recess in the middle of my 110's lower dash.

In order to do this I had to remove the complete lower dash and make a duct in the back of it so that I could lower the main wiring harness from the bulkhead gromit to the instrument pod.

This still doesn't give enough depth and I also had to make 12mm thick spacer for the front of the unit's mounting cage.

The unit got very hot in this position because of the tightness of the installation and the fact that its sat on top of the heater's air duct (the whole lower dash assembly).

I eventually bought myself a Tuffy Deluxe Stereo Security Console and put the head unit in that.

deluxe_stereo_details.jpg

A much easier route than modifying the dash.

Paul.

Probably the best move,if it was mine, I'd go for the cubbybox option, a lot easier to install & connect, plus a bonus of more storage space :D

Very smart indeed. Which one did you buy and what was the cost of shipping?

This company in the UK supply a similar product and should be easier/cheaper to ship to France. They range from 180-230 uk pounds.

mobile storage systems

BLACK%20STORE%20CADDY.jpg

You can check which one is cheaper when you take into account shipping and import tax from US.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. This looks excellent - I'll give them a call to verfy costs and shipping.

They are. I have one and while not cheap they are a very nice bit of kit. I have the CB in mine and the CD player / radio in the dash.