Drilled and Vented Discs?

Hi all..

I am planning on fitting a Disco back axle to my 90 (I want to replace the drums with discs)..

I was also looking at Discs and was shocked at how cheep they are on Paddocks spares.. I have always used paddocks gear and am happy with their stuff.

A set of "Standard like for like" Discs retail at about £30 inc pads. Whereas the "Performance" slotted and drilled ones retail at about £40 excluding pads..

My front Discs could do with changing in the next few years but I thought I might aswell do them whilst I can. Would I benefit from fitting Slotted/Drilled discs and some decent quality pads? Or are they just a big con?..

These are the item in question.

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/Brakes/Paddock%5FPerformance%5FRear%5Fbrake%5Fdiscs%5F%28pair%29%5F%2D%5F90%5F%2D%5Fslotted%5Fand%5Fdrilled.html

My Defender is primarily a road motor (With the odd mild offroad use).

Thanks.. Matt

In my HUMBLE opinion - if you regularly do track-days or go alpine pass-storming with a load on, then you would benefit from drilled and slotted discs - otherwise the normal ones are fine :)

p.s. I have a set of Paddocks cheapies and am very please with them.

Edited by ThreeSheds

The drillings allow more 'edged' surface area for heat to dissipate through, you'll never need these on a road motor, the pads will set on fire long before the disc gets hot enough to need that type of cooling.

The grooves are more useful, they allow for the glaze to be 'scraped' from the pads, reducing pad glazing and ultimately brake fade. Again, you'll have to work your brakes bloody hard for this to be a useful feature.

Standard discs and pads are good enough for the job. My 110 weighs 2 ton and often pulls a 3.4 ton trailer around. Never had the brakes (Paddock cheapies) hot yet. And thats with drums on the back :)

When I had a V8 90CSW living in Milton Keynes I reckoned 6 roundabouts was the max before brake fade. (going flat out) There aren't many places where you accelerate up to 70mph(ish) and then brake to zero every half a mile, but it isn't fun when you hit the brakes and nothing happens.

Worth the extra few £'s in my book.

Some mixxed views then?.

I reckon my Disc's could do with replacing.. (Im not one who likes to wait for something to fail) plus I got an Advisorary on my Discs being pitted. I assume the tester ment on the rim where the pads dont touch?.

But for the extra £10 per pair it seems worth it.. Even if its just to brag about having Vented, Slotted and Drilled Discs? :P Letalone having that possible extra stopping power if you need it!.

Plus I am trying to squeeze even more power from my engine over time (200TDI) So I guess It would be wise to have the brakes to suit?.

Seems like a waste of time in my opinion. Even with standard discs the tyres will lock on mine very easily.

If I were driving a mega-tuned V8 or Td5 on road tyres around a racetrack then I could see the advantage, but in a normal vehicle that's used off-road with off-road tyres it seems a bit pointless.

I just replaced my solid front discs with cheap discs from paddocks- my old ones weren't too thin but as the hubs were apart at the time i figured that i might as well do them at the time, rather than have to take the car off the road again later.

I am very pleased with them, the pedal somehow just feels nicer than it did with the old slightly worn and grooved discs (probably psychological i know :ph34r: )

I would say forget about the hassle (and cost)of changing calipers etc etc to fit fancy discs, just make sure yours work properly.

When I first got my Disco I fitted the drilled and grooved discs from paddocks. I couldnt believe how quickly they ate pads. The disks them selves didnt last all that long, If you use them off road in wet , muddy conditions all the carp sticks in the holes and kiils the pads and disks.

Ive just got normal paddocks solid disks on now and and am well happy.

I havent noticed disc fade, and my Disco has a tuned V8 (stage 2 heads, better cam, headers etc) and pops along at a fair old pace..... :D

Andy

Fitting shiney grooved/drilled disks isnt going to stop fade as described by landymann, thats most likely caused by the pads being rubbish/glazed or the fluid boiling..

Vented disks will help with disk cooling, and also provides more metal to heat up in the first place, but fitting these to a 90 will usually require 110 calipers, or a caliper spacer kit fitted to the original calipers.

If your getting fade, then vented disks, along with good pads and new DOT5.1 (or better) fluid should help a lot.

Well, FWIW having "A Few BHP" and vented slotted Drikked with 130 Brembos, I can say

pads wear hugely quick, irrespective of who makes them, except pattern stuff, which falls apart

use a branded name, forget genuines, but anything in a white box that the maker isn't going to

own up to making isn't worth the trouble of fitting, so

As such I use Mintex for 5 main reasons cos :

1. They are cheap, really cheap :)

2. They are not expensive

3. They last well,

4. Are decent quality

5. Oh and they are cheap

:D

Nige