Sealey Tools

AD90

Slightly OT; I am repairing a Audi A4 1.8T, the head bolts are M10 RIBE. I struggled to find one 140mm long and ended up buying a kit of head-bolt tools from Sealey, first Sealey tools I have ever bought. They were from the Professional range and have a lifetime warranty. BUT it broke on the first bolt of the 3rd (out of 4) tightening sequence. They have agreed to replace it, but have I been unlucky or is this typical?

Thanks

AD90

Sealey tools used to be very good, but in the past few years have deteriorated significantly. Some of their stuff is still good quality, but not much and it's become a lottery really. I'd class them along with other mid range so-called professional tools that are mostly not up to the job anymore. Laser are in the same class - not as good as they say they are.

Les.

as les said ive got a 3/8 drive socket set about 4 years old never had any problems i find halfords pro range are good and also britool take a lot of beating but sealey will replace any of their premier range that breaks as will halfords,chris.

Halfords pro range are pretty good-even in my heavy handed way of doing things and i've not managed to break anything that i have by them yet and i've had one of they're socket sets for the last 10 or so years now-plus they do a lifetime guarantee on they're stuff too, Someone said to me that the pro range is made by Sykes piquavent(sic)

snap on for sockets and spanners,murex for welding equipment,teng tools for torque wrench's,sykes for pullers and other specilist equipment and dewalt for drills and grinders but the best thing you can have is a misses that has your tea on the table and a hot bath ready after you have spent all day in the workshop fixing that bloody landy again

no one has mentioned facom yet i have a lot of facom and never had any problems with it

Facom tools are very good quality , They also bought out Britool some time ago and still sell under the Britool name but aimed at low cost budget buyers , Another good make is Beta .

http://www.facom-tools.co.uk/

http://www.beta-tools.com/catalog/families/view/__lang_en/__catlang_en/__catalog_shop/__filters

I's say Halfords Pro offer the best combination of quality and price at the moment - i've got loads of their stuff and am very pleased with it.

I've also got a fair bit of Teng and Britool, also great.

I'd also buy Beta and Mac but can't justify the expense of Snap-on.

I know all about good quality tools, most of my home kit is Britool but with a mixture of other stuff I have picked up along the way. I used to use Snap-On at work and although it is good quality, it is not (IMHO) worth the money. I have burst a fair few Snap-On sockets in my time and yes they do replace them with little or no quibble; but they way I see it you paid for at least 3 replacements at Day 1!

As far as my dilema goes, having trawled the InterWeb; Neither Snap-On, Britool, Teng, Facom, Beta, Halfords, Mac, Proto,,, the list goes on, make the 140mm M10 Ribe required for the VAG 1.8T. So I was left with the decision of Sealey, Franklin, Laser and after MUCH searching I have now came across AST. I am thinking that VAG Mechanics get theirs supplied by the factory?

Replacement tool arrived today, I'll let you know.

AD90