OT: The inevitable Top Gear thread

Guest diesel_jim

Oooh, subscribe to the TG nesletter.....this is old news! Apparently, it will be 4 presenters & no one is leaving. The 4th presenter is supposed to be "a bit like the Stig & a bit not like him"

I think it will be Sabine Schmidt joining the team. The German bird who drove the Transit round the Ring.

As a matter of interest, does everybody know that the identity of the Stig, is almost certainly Ben Collins??

Martin

Guest diesel_jim

A friend of mine who does a lot of track and 4x4 instruction on various circuits knows for definate that Ben Collins is one of the stigs...

apparently they have a few drivers that they use, suppose it depends on where/when they're filming.

Yep, thats quite right Jim, there ARE several Stigs. Depending on what driving situation/location they are in, is a deciding factor on which is used.

Ben Collins is the "main" Stig though. He does most of the filming for TG. A classic example of when it was very obvious that a second Stig was being used, was in the Winter Olympics episode. The Stig that rode the snow-mobile off the ski jump ramp, was very broad through the shoulders, and you could tell it was not just padding or body armour.

Ben Collins has actually been in TG a couple of times in non-Stig mode. He was the driver who drove the Mercedes that tried to catch the parachutist.

Bit of a TG anorak, I am!!!

Martin

Nope, definetly NOT Russ Swift......every now & then, you get a glimpse of Stiggies hair underneath the helmet.......not the same colour as Russ's.

You can probbaly do a search on t'interweb and find a picture taken in London, where a flash went off & illuminated Stigs eyes behind his helmet. Find a picture of Russ's face close up, and one of Ben's......you'll see it in the eyes.

It certainly was Perry as black Stig though.

Ok, the mods and admins have had a chat and we have decided it would be a good idea to have just one Top Gear thread as opposed to umpteen new ones appearing on a weekly basis.

This thread seems to be a good basis so please keep all the TG posts confined to here. Any TG stuff that appears elsewhere will now be moved / merged into this thread.

Ifankyouverymuch.

I thought it was common knowledge that most of the Stig work is done by Les- in disguise of course! :P

On a more serious note- when clarkson is driving cars round the track- how much is actually him cause one of my dad's mates did some of it and even had to dress like him!

Pete

Guest diesel_jim
Ben Collins has actually been in TG a couple of times in non-Stig mode. He was the driver who drove the Mercedes that tried to catch the parachutist.

He also drove the mitsi evo down the grassy slope whilst trying to catch the spotty youf on the ATB (all terrain board)....

he couldn't catch him, so they swapped to a bowler wildcat, which, naturally, obliterated the spotty ones' time!

See it (and Ben) here on youtube

hmmm.... bowler..... B) B) B) B) :wub::wub::wub::wub:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi i am just watching the feature on "greenlaneing" on top gear in the Daihatsu terios with Clarkson , i feel that the presenters have given the wrong impression about responsible greenlaneing , off roading in general. Responsible off roading is not rallying around the countryside with no consideration for the environment , and the fact that is was a Disco 3 filming it. What do others think ?

Hi i am just watching the feature on "greenlaneing" on top gear in the Daihatsu terios with Clarkson , i feel that the presenters have given the wrong impression about responsible greenlaneing , off roading in general. Responsible off roading is not rallying around the countryside with no consideration for the environment , and the fact that is was a Disco 3 filming it. What do others think ?

As ever brilliant entertainment... but yes it probably played right into the hands of the anti's. particularly when Jezza charged down the hedges. :o :o

Interesting how capable that little Terrios was though (assuming the absence of any 'staging' which one can never be sure about with TG)

It was probably all filmed on private property with owners permission.

Topgear is always humerous, it has to be taken with a pinch of salt although, it's not gospel!

What amused me more was, what was the dubbed over engine sound track!

Mark

As ever brilliant entertainment... but yes it probably played right into the hands of the anti's. particularly when Jezza charged down the hedges. :o :o

Interesting how capable that little Terrios was though (assuming the absence of any 'staging' which one can never be sure about with TG)

Yes i was impressed by it too , even with what looked like road tyres and yes brilliant entertainment

I was smiling at the fun side of it....

Like others have said, not a good impression for those who know nothing... They may assume that's how we all do it...

But.. I'm sure it was private land with owners permission etc.

Capable little car, loved the paint job and sound track ! :)

Still, give me my rumbling 110 over that !! (Maybe I could put that car in the back !)

Neil

Guest noggy

i watched it, thought it looked mega fun, but racing round a field at highspeed is always fun :P

they did promote the wrong idea about greenlaning, but in all reality, greenlaning is steadily going down the pan.

clarkson was right in all the anti tiddle taking, im glad he has just pee'ed off several thousand antis!

It was very entertaining, but to be honest they only mentioned green laning in the respect of ramblers wanting it banned, They never once said they were hunting on greenlanes. I realise thats how the ramblers could interpret it but then that just proves how silly they all are!

I thought it was just a good bit of sunday night entertainment.

It obviously wasn't "green laning" in the sense we know it. Like most TG stunts, it was set up - undoubtedly with land owners' permission. Anyone who thinks otherwise is pretty dumb. Just take another look at the continuity errors - they did it several times.

Anyone who tries to copy that would have the landowner prosecuting them for trespassing on their land. Anyone driving like that on a green lane would crash and burn pretty quick. But that's no different to any other TG stunt / driving. It's a bit of light relief, not a driving instructional programme.

Other than the intro to the piece, there was no correlation between what we do "green laning" and what they did.

Made a good point about the lightness of the little motor. No match for a LR at the end of the day, but pretty impressive for what it is.

The wet grass catching JC out though made me smile.

I thought it was just a good bit of sunday night entertainment.

It obviously wasn't "green laning" in the sense we know it. Like most TG stunts, it was set up - undoubtedly with land owners' permission. Anyone who thinks otherwise is pretty dumb. Just take another look at the continuity errors - they did it several times.

Anyone who tries to copy that would have the landowner prosecuting them for trespassing on their land. Anyone driving like that on a green lane would crash and burn pretty quick. But that's no different to any other TG stunt / driving. It's a bit of light relief, not a driving instructional programme.

Other than the intro to the piece, there was no correlation between what we do "green laning" and what they did.

Made a good point about the lightness of the little motor. No match for a LR at the end of the day, but pretty impressive for what it is.

The wet grass catching JC out though made me smile.

a negertive rant at the hunting ban too is never a bad thing , couldnt stop smileing when he ended up nose down in a ditch tho