Cold weather - partial radiator cover

Whats the opinion on blanking off part of the outside of the radiator during this cold UK weather snap?

I have just done less than half or so of the rad, by using an old rubber floor mat cable tied to the bull bar. The mat has never had it so good!

I have always found no matter what the weather, the hottest UK summer (30DegC) or cold in winter (-15DegC) the original LR temperature gauge always gets to half way and stays there (note already lots of threads on here about how useful or not the LR temperature gauge is!).

With the temporary external rad cover the 300Tdi gets up to temperature quicker, which I am sure it better in this sub-zero temperatures? But certainly doesnt make any real difference once up to normal engine water temperature.

View, comments and opinions gratefully received.

Jon

The reason the temperature always sits at the level mark is partly due to the design of the gauge, limiting needle movement in the operating range so as to not worry owners, and partly due to the very efficient and effective engine cooling system.

In theory one should not need to block the rad, as the thermostat should not allow water to circulate through it until the engine has reached operating temperature. In fact a lot of thermostats leak somewhat, so a muff will help a bit. A lot of that may just be due to limiting the cold airflow around/though the engine bay which cools the block directly.

I do the bottom 1/3rd of the rad if I think it needs help, on a Tdi the oil cooler lives inside the Rad right hand end tank,so just be aware of that too.

So which side do you blank Ralph ? As I said blanking the actuall botom on a crossflow is blaking a side on an upright rad. :ph34r:

we used to block them in normal, Exmoor trim make a canvas or plastic type thing to do the same. works well. Although the stat keeps the rad out of the equation until the engine warms up as prev mentioned this limits air flow through the engine and makes warm up quicker, plus when the stat does then open it doesnt plunge straight into the cold again meaning meaning the stat just goes from one extreme to the other. Having said that 60kph with a full blocked off rad and the tdis still used to register cold on the gauge when the temps dropped out there and the heater on.

I have a 7 mile commute to work at approx 50mph, at the moment it's -10, -15 degrees outside, or there abouts.

I have the radiator completely blocked off with a bit of cardboard wedged between the bull bar lights and the radiator grill. It improves the warm up rate a great deal. The engine still barely makes it to operating temperature by the time I get to work.

At the moment, the cardboard also covers the intercooler. I'm more concerned about a warm engine and cab, rather than performance, and I figure the air going in to the engine is still going to be plenty cold enough in this weather.... I'll see how this goes though.

I have a rubber car mat that I slip between the rad and the grill (from under the bonnet) that is held in place when the bonnet closes. It was only a quid at tesco and is a perfect fit (sideways)is at present covers the whole of the rad, though the height is variable. The LR get warm much quicker and gives me a lovely warm heater.

I've taken the viscous fan off my 300Tdi in this weather. If i'm driving round town I can see the temperature gauge (Racetech one) drop down to below 60 celsius with the heater on. It normally runs at 90 but even on the motorway was barely getting to 80 celsius. With the Ractech gauge you can clearly see when the thermostat opens so I know it is indeed working and not stuck open. Fan off, its sits at 90 even going up hill at 70mph and I normally drive at 60mph for economy on the motorway.

Across the bottom, but leaving the intercooler clear so it gets a full air flow.

Hmm wondered if I did the right thing in blocking off mine entirely (200tdi), heats up quicker and maintains a higher operating temp than usual (now at halfway)but was getting a little too hot for my liking when greenlaning in the snowdrifts lately. Not into the red though and I have an X-eng stat fitted.

Thanks for the info Ralf, have just moved the rubber matt cover from the LHS of the rad to the bottom half of the rad (4 out of 8 grill openings).

As advised I had already sussed out that it is probably better to leave the RHS intercooler having a full air flow.

I will also at some point be adding a VDO water temperature guage to the list of goodies needed for the 300Tdi.

Thanks, Jon

My drive to work is not more than 8 miles and in current high temps (compared to some of you) of minus 5, My td5 never gets up to temp or at least the gauge does not. Is it good for it to only get to vaguely warm twice a day?

I have never considered rad covers, always thought that is what people did on cortinas in the 70's

I might give it a try.

We shuold start reminding non land rover drivers that we all got to work during current conditions, however the first person to arrive at my place first every day is an old boy in his 70's who comes on a bike! Good old boy.