mud console

im looking at buying a mud console for my 90, ive put my radio in and if i do 60 the cds will skip, i put this down to dodgy mounting!! id like a mud console as i can then have a clock and extra swithces in also my cb. how do people rate these?? do you have any pics of ures??

I had a MUD center console which cracked and broke very easily, in some areas the plastic is very thin to my mind. After a while it seemed to go very brittle. I replaced it with a Raptor center console which is alot more robust and should you wish to change the layout of the dash you can just buy the individual front faces.

No connection just a happy customer.

Sort of related.....

.....I bought an iPod specific Sony head unit awhile back, and I have to say, its one of the best things I use! I carry around 14000 songs (1500 albums) in something that wont skip & takes up next to no space.

I used to have a Mud console, but sold it on due to being able to get the result I wanted via other methods. When I DID have the console though (unmounted) I thought it was very good looking, and seemed a quality bit of kit.

Just lately there has been a lot of discussion around these Raptor consoles which do pretty much the same thing, but are reportedly more robust.

I think the Raptor ones look terrible (just my opinion, dont start!) and the Mudstuff ones look more as though they are meant to be there.

HTH

Martin

I have a mud console in my competition motor, mainly for all the switches but it also houses a cheap radio/cd/mp3 set. It's not caused me any problems and survived bouncing around the outback with no problems and without coming loose. I've looked at the Raptor but they're just plain ugly and look like they've been bolted on as an afterthought. The MUD one looks like it's meant to go there, if you see what I mean.

The only improvement I'd like to see on it is a better radio mount that allows you to attach the rear bolt fixing. the way it's set up means you can't bolt the radio in so it relies purely on the plastic to stop the radio bouncing up and down. It's not caused me a problem, just an observation.

Iron Goat for me! Well impressed with it, it's a solid aluminium shell with fairly thick plastic covering. Goes in well and looks like it was original fitting - even the wife reckons it's pretty good!

I can post a picture of it fitted if you want.

Malcolm

I built my own out of MDF. Looks like a square version of the mud type dash. Bit fiddly but cost nothing really. Made up templates out of old stella artois boxes - had to drink the cans first, so that bit was fun and then cut it out of MDF and bolted it in. Once its covered it'll look like it was meant to be there.

ive gota say, afta lookin at the raptor one, i do feel it looks a little out of place, so thats out the question, ive just bin on the iron goat site and all was good, just what i was after....until i saw the price.. 195.00!!!!! ive gota say the mud console for 55.00 looks alot more promising!!!

I had a Mud console and it's a solid bit of kit but the front did not fare to well to some unplanned abuse as it's still plastic after all. It does look nice however.

Replaced it with a Raptor console I got at the Bath & West Land Rover show, installing it well will take a bit of time. The guy who makes it thinks 15-30 mins and I think if you had done 20-30 that would be fair but for us mere mortals it will take a few hours to offer up and mount it well (use 2 bolts to mount it up into the bulkhead under the ashtray and bolt in a few earthing tabs would be my advice). Make sure you allow a lot of time to wire it up well ;). The end result of the Raptor console is something that is pretty tough and easy to customise if your happy drilling into metal plate, but it does look very 'utilitarian'.

Either console will do the job if you're looking for a console to hold the stereo and some switches but if you're going to punish the console you may want to look for something with more metal or using really heavy duty plastics (like the iron goat one, but it's stupidly expensive).

While you're at it avoid the 'bolt on bits' plastic console at all costs, helped a friend try and put one in his truck and it may as well be made of jam or paper for all the solidity it provides ;). You get what you pay for.

I bought a Mud console but was not impressed by how thin the plastic was, so upgraded to an Iron Goat. The Mud console is good value for money (read cheap), but you do get what you pay for and the Iron Goat has a metal sub structure that everything is mounted to, so has a proper robust feel to it.

I have the Mud dash. It has been installed for four years and survived 500 miles worth of off roading through the Alps. Even now, there is no sign of any damage or stress. There is nothing wrong with the kit - I think any broken units may be down to accidents in use or poor installation ( holes cut in a manner that creates stress points and too small for the appliance fitted in them).

The Raptor unit looks toogh and is easily adaptable to fit whatever you want, but is as ugly as hell. The Iron Goat unit looks the best, but they have already chosen what you will fit for you - it has no flexibiltiy of installation. The Mud dash looks good if installed with care, is easily tough enough for all but the clumsiest drivers and offers complete fexibility in what you mount and has greater capacity than the IG unit. It's also the cheapest by a considerable margin.