Rear Axle Protection - Qs and Input before I start upgrade

Hybrid_From_Hell

Ok

Its the rear axle on my 90, which is a disk braked Metric RR unit

I have a selection of "Issues" I want to resolve, due to the fact I

do a lot of marshalling and have to "Go Fetch" people who get themselves

into mad situations - I have to then drive into / through stuff I'd rather maybe not

chose to go into - then sees a selction of damage to the rear axle unit

Not that long ago - saw me reversing down a huge incline then slide the last 18 yds belting a rock,

to execute a nasty recovery - as a result of going in and coming out - a massively twisted

and bent the QT Guard, bending and impacting so hard as to not just dent the diff pan but split it :(

and even better this was a BRAND NEW Genuine casing bought about 1 yr ago :( so I have to fix it :)

also suffer from

• Undergrowth that wraps itself around brake lines, yanking them off
  • And yanking T pieces off
  • And yanking ARB hoses off
  • and sqwishing and flattening brake pipes
  • Etc Etc Etc

My cunning plan is :

• Do away with the need for a diff guard, and thus better ground cleance and less to hook up (have a plan)
  • Modify the brake pipes so they end say 6 inches inboard of the casing and have flexy braided hoses joined
  • to allow claiper easy off in the field / repairs etc
  • Weld up the casing to offer protection to the brake pipes, hoses and T piece etc

My request is simple,

anyone got good pics of the bar protectors as others have done this,

I have something in mind but would like ideas pics links of similar set ups

Any other ideas suggestions to add to the above

And yes whatever I do I will post up in thread later whn done :)

Nige

the easyest way to avoid damage to the above in the situation you were in is very easy. use your vocal chords and some good old fashion p***takin drvie you truck fairly close to the stuck one roll down the window tell them to watch where they are going and to buy a good winch

on a more helpfull notecould you not spot weld some small angle across the brake lines seen it done a few times you shouldnt need a lot of welds if you place so most impacts are haed on then if it does ever need to be removed just grind the tacks

Somebody (Tomcat maybe?) makes some rather trendy strengthened axle casings. Have seen one on a mates racer (now sold - so can get pics) that looked rather trendy - it had an octagonal profile & looked bloody strong. Wouldn't help with protecting brake / arb pipes tho, but the idea of an upside down bit of angle welded onto the top of the tube ô sounds good to me.

Gigglepin / sewer cap / gas bottle diff pan.

"Modify" a QT diff guard to retain the slider bit under the propshaft.

Flexi hose from the chassis bracket (so put the T piece there) down the A Frame and along the axle cable tied to your steel protector of choice (angle / tube / bar.)

Job done.

Nige, get yourself one of the Gigglepin HD pans (which look suspiciously like they were made by Paul/Nick :D ) and then put a truss over the back face of the axle - this will massively add to the strength of the axle casing. You can then run the brake lines over the top face of the truss so they'll be seriously well protected too.

Nige, get yourself one of the Gigglepin HD pans (which look suspiciously like they were made by Paul/Nick :D ) and then put a truss over the back face of the axle - this will massively add to the strength of the axle casing. You can then run the brake lines over the top face of the truss so they'll be seriously well protected too.

I had considered one of those, but (this is where I get shot down in flames :lol: ) In my mind (yes and odd place at times :P )

I seem to have a thought around pinion lubrication.

This is simply that the rear casing covering the diff is that shape for a reason - that reason is to assist the oil

picked via the Crown wheel to guide the oil - and stop it moving off "Sideways" so that it helps lubrication of the Pinion,

thus, a simple "Flat Bowl" without the CW buldge will significantly reduce the efficency of pinion lubrication ?

Or am I Barking ?

also :

and then put a truss over the back face of the axle - this will massively add to the strength of the axle casing. You can then run the brake lines over the top face of the truss so they'll be seriously well protected too.

Got anty pics etc as I can't quite visualize what your suggesting ?

:)

Nige

Sorry to say chaps that it adds a lot more strength per weight than tubing the inside of the axle. It doesn't add much weight if you design it right and use the correct material - there is no need to use more than 3mm. The photo isn't the prettiest or best executed but it gives the idea. You can bend a stock Rover axle casing by literaly looking at it especially if you have a reasonable amount of power, big(ish) tyres, high offset wheels and a powerful winch to pull you over stuff (step forward Mr Barker ;) ). Trusses on the top (or bottom) of the axle tend to be of more use if you're jumping the car....