EPC vs Microcat vs Windows 7

Windows XP mode in 7 should work. You will need to enable virtualisation on your 'puter before you can install XP mode, not all computers will have it enabled by default, the settings can be found in the BIOS.

Once this far you'll need to download XP mode and follow the instructions.

Microcat did work on my computer for a while, till one of those auto updates occurred. :rolleyes: Now I get an error each time I try to run the program. So far all the tips/solutions found at Microcrap hasn't solved my issues.

Myself I think it's hit or miss if it runs for you depending on the software already installed. This XP mode thing looks interesting, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Todd.

I'd look at Virtualbox - it's free and it means you have a self-contained virtual computer just for EPC / Microcat. If there weren't copyright issues etc. I'd build a virtual PC for each and put them on my server for people to download.

The downside of the XP mode in Win7 is that you then can't install Virtual PC as a separate entity and run lots of different Virtual pooters.

I agree with Fridge, download something like MS Virtual PC (or your preferred solution), and set up separate PC's that you use for specific purposes such as Microcat. If you have an old Win95/98 disk you could install this and run it quite happily for Microcat or EPC.

Odd, I have more than one on mine.................?

Me too, you can have more than one.

I have a XP mode virtual computer set up just for Microcat, I leave Microcat running and just close the virtual computer (which hibernates it) then when I open it back up again Microcat is running and waiting and I don't have to mess with the date - works a treat.

That's on 64bit Windows 7 with a dual core centrino

Me too, you can have more than one.

Hmmm... Are we getting XP mode and Virtual PC confused? :unsure:

When I first installed XP mode on my Win7 setup, I then couldn't install MS Virtual PC, therefore couldn't run all the other virtual machines I had setup on my old XP setup. So I did away with XP mode and voila... I was able to install Virtual PC again.

But as with all things computer related, what works for one won't necessarily work for another! :rolleyes::lol: