Wheels

I am asking as I have broken 2 wheels in the last 4 weeks. Well I have not broken them as such, just the welding has cracked, same place on both wheels. I was told by the maker "we are afraid that it looks like the whole set has come to the end of its life"

So what would most people say the life of a wheel is?

Paul

PS I am not going to say what make of wheel it is or how long they say the life span is.

Hmmm, guessing they're not OE LR wheels, so that leaves us with the normal Modulars / 8-Spokes / Matt Lee and I can't imagine anyone being heartbroken over a dead 8-spoke or modular given the price of new ones...

Ahem. :rolleyes:

Out of interest what did you do to break them?

Hmmm, guessing they're not OE LR wheels, so that leaves us with the normal Modulars / 8-Spokes / Matt Lee and I can't imagine anyone being heartbroken over a dead 8-spoke or modular given the price of new ones...

Ahem. :rolleyes:

Out of interest what did you do to break them?

Green Laning. Thats all I do in the 110.

Paul

Blimey :blink: That must be some extreme green lanes!

I had the white 8 spokes on my Rangie for about 5 years. Other than the paint wearing off on the bead and making a couple of the tyres go flat quite regularly, they were fine, certainly no sign of welds falling off :blink:

As far as I know, they are still in active service on another forum users Rangie.

Another mate has had his about 8 years... look a bit ropey but are still in one piece :P

I don't think there would be a life on a wheel rim, although I suppose hard use would eventually make them fail. I would expect a rim designed to be used on a Land Rover would be equal to the task though - knowing how they get used. Even on a Farm they would have the tough life equivalent to green lane use.

Is the weld ok? is it the weld that has cracked or where the weld joins the steel of the rim (normal place for cracks). I would expect them to crack in the event of an accident or similar situation, but greenlaning they should be able to handle.

Les. :)

I don't think there would be a life on a wheel rim, although I suppose hard use would eventually make them fail. I would expect a rim designed to be used on a Land Rover would be equal to the task though - knowing how they get used. Even on a Farm they would have the tough life equivalent to green lane use.

Is the weld ok? is it the weld that has cracked or where the weld joins the steel of the rim (normal place for cracks). I would expect them to crack in the event of an accident or similar situation, but greenlaning they should be able to handle.

Les. :)

Its the HAZ (Heat Affcted Zone) that has craked. Both times its been the front wheel. The drivers side now the other side.

Paul

Paul, if this is cheapo 8 spokes then as fridge says I'm not sure many of here would be too worried but nonetheless a pic to tell us where to look for early signs of failure on ours might be nice?

It's not the cheapo 8 spoke, it's a more expensive bling type wheel.

As per my post on LRA, you have reason to be huffed off, but no real recourse. It's an aftermarket wheel of unique design and the manufacturer can claim a lifespan. You might get new wheels free if you were to take the matter up with the Advertising Standards Council or other Consumer Protection authority as I have seen no disclaimer on lifespan in advertising etc., but that does not mean your views would be upheld in either authority, and unless the lifespan being claimed is less than five years, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. In any event, all litigation does is make things more expensive and enrich lawyers - neither of which are desirable.... :P

Paul, if this is cheapo 8 spokes then as fridge says I'm not sure many of here would be too worried but nonetheless a pic to tell us where to look for early signs of failure on ours might be nice?

Not 8 spokes, but 5 spokes. The only way I knew that were cracked was a flat tyre.

Paul

It's not the cheapo 8 spoke, it's a more expensive bling type wheel.

As per my post on LRA, you have reason to be huffed off, but no real recourse. It's an aftermarket wheel of unique design and the manufacturer can claim a lifespan. You might get new wheels free if you were to take the matter up with the Advertising Standards Council or other Consumer Protection authority as I have seen no disclaimer on lifespan in advertising etc., but that does not mean your views would be upheld in either authority, and unless the lifespan being claimed is less than five years, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. In any event, all litigation does is make things more expensive and enrich lawyers - neither of which are desirable.... :P

Its not work fighting it, but its a shame. They have offered me a new set at trade price, but are they going to crack as well?

Paul

why not just get them re-welded?

then perhaps you can have all the joints done at once on all the wheels- sure it wouldn't cost too much.

they might be interested in part paying for that instead of supplying a set at trade!

Well, I'm going to stick my hand up and say Paul swapped the wheels with me !, I have nothing to hide so I don't mind owning up

I wanted zero offset so I could fit them on the Discovery and Paul wanted greater for his 110, it was mentioned in passing when I picked up the bumper from his place,

These were rolled edge ones (newer), , I bought them secondhand and that was around 2 years ago and the ones I got from Paul lipped (older) IIRC,

Now Paul may not be, well isn't pointing the finger....but may be having regrets, but I swapped them in good faith as far as I knew they were fine, a bit...well quite rusty on the surface and needed painting, and they hadn't been on my truck since the Beardy one biatched for me,and sat in the Garage for months, as the Hybid has my other set on with Simex's and I got fed up of swapping them around as it was mainly driven to events anyway,

if you look on my site they were on the truck for a fair while with no problems, so why are they now causing problems...... :unsure::angry:

So I'd publically like to say Sorry to Paul, and say if I knew there was a problem with them I would'nt have exchanged and I can only say...sorry for all the hassle your having... :(

I'd like to think I'm an honest chap and would never do anyone over for a quick buck.........

he say's opening himself up for abuse... :P

Well, I'm going to stick my hand up and say Paul swapped the wheels with me !, I have nothing to hide so I don't mind owning up

I wanted zero offset so I could fit them on the Discovery and Paul wanted greater for his 110, it was mentioned in passing when I picked up the bumper from his place,

These were rolled edge ones (newer), , I bought them secondhand and that was around 2 years ago and the ones I got from Paul lipped (older) IIRC,

Now Paul may not be, well isn't pointing the finger....but may be having regrets, but I swapped them in good faith as far as I knew they were fine, a bit...well quite rusty on the surface and needed painting, and they hadn't been on my truck since the Beardy one biatched for me,and sat in the Garage for months, as the Hybid has my other set on with Simex's and I got fed up of swapping them around as it was mainly driven to events anyway,

if you look on my site they were on the truck for a fair while with no problems, so why are they now causing problems...... :unsure::angry:

So I'd publically like to say Sorry to Paul, and say if I knew there was a problem with them I would'nt have exchanged and I can only say...sorry for all the hassle your having... :(

I'd like to think I'm an honest chap and would never do anyone over for a quick buck.........

he say's opening himself up for abuse... :P

I am not pointing the finger at you Les. I was not going to say I had them off of you, I have no regets swapping them at all. They are what I wanted.

Just trying to work out if they should be good for a few more years thats all. I think they might not be up to a 110s weight. For some thing is designed for a hard life and for racing. For them both to crack in the same place on the same spoke is a bit bad. I have spoken to the man who made the bumper you had off of me and he said its not the frist time he knowed them to crack.

Theres no need to say sorry, its not your fault.

Paul

why not just get them re-welded?

then perhaps you can have all the joints done at once on all the wheels- sure it wouldn't cost too much.

they might be interested in part paying for that instead of supplying a set at trade!

I will weld them up. Not a problem as I can do them. But I just wanted to know how long people would expect them to last.

Paul

Is it worth seeing, after having them re-welded and minus tyres /lead weights etc if they are balanced or if theres an imbalance that could lead to this?

Thats what I was thinking. But I will weld them and see. They take a lot to balance anyway as they are fitted with Bronco Dirt Devils. With a bit of luck when I have ground out the weld and rewelded it it should be about the same.

Paul

Les, change the title under your avatar quick :ph34r::lol:

That was down to me puching a 3 inch hole in one and wondering why we could'nt get the bead to re seat no matter how much air we through at it....

Once we cleaned of the Burnworthy slime all was revealed :o

I have some new, boxed white eight spokes in -10 offset (from memory) if that helps. They sit the tyres 40mm further out than standard.

I got a load of them made special order for my RR but don't use it so much now.

Can you measure from the rim face to the centre face and tell me what it is? The ones I have are 110mm from rim to wheel centre.

Paul

Paul, these rims usually have a good reputation and seem to servive well when treated harshly so it does seem strange. The only thing I can think is that they've suffered a very hard life, possibly racing. I'd say the new ones should be fine....

Paul, these rims usually have a good reputation and seem to servive well when treated harshly so it does seem strange. The only thing I can think is that they've suffered a very hard life, possibly racing. I'd say the new ones should be fine....

Thats my only concern. Do I want to rist a lot more £££££ on new ones for them to do the same again? Or do I go for Wolf rims and a less offset. But a long lasting wheel.

Paul

Chelsea Tractor had the same issue with some he had. They were the old type that used (I understand) 8-spoke rims. Jon was led to believe that the new (rolled edge) rims were made in-house and would not suffer the same fault. Evidently they do.

Chris