Clutch Replacement. 130 or 110 in my 110

41 minutes ago, Wheely said:

I found answers to all the questions -the only one pending is:

3) I can't find a  200TDI alternative for the crank rear oil seal which for the 300 TDI is page 213, item 15 - is there another piece that should be changed if not this one?

can you help please so i can place the order?

thanks!

If you mean to want the part number for the 200Tdi crankshaft seal, it's this: https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-engine/200tdi/flywheel-clutch_53149#18

1 hour ago, dailysleaze said:

If you mean to want the part number for the 200Tdi crankshaft seal, it's this: https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-engine/200tdi/flywheel-clutch_53149#18

great, thanks a lot - is this advisable to change it as well whilst I am doing the whole clutch? I see it's behind the flywheel engine which I wasn't planning to take out. Is it a seal that also fails often?

26 minutes ago, Wheely said:

great, thanks a lot - is this advisable to change it as well whilst I am doing the whole clutch? I see it's behind the flywheel engine which I wasn't planning to take out. Is it a seal that also fails often?

Yes, you should change the seal.

And you need to take the flywheel out.  It needs to be resurfaced.  Putting a new clutch on a worn flywheel is a bad idea.

ah ok, I thought it I could resurface it in-situ, without taking the whole thing out - thanks!

I guess that with the Gearbox input shaft front seal and the crankshaft seal I am done - or are there other seals, shims, etc.. that needs to be replaced whilst I am at it?

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

Got myself the LOF clutch kit that seems great!

Going to work on it over the weekend, need someone to shed light on some questions:

1) to what NM should I close the flywheel bolts and clutch cover bolts whilst doing this job?

2) how to resurface the  flywheel?

3) shall i change the 6x bolts (SX108201L) M8 X 20MM and washers (WL108002) M8, sprung ?

4) Anything else whilst at it?

No photo description available.

Edited by Wheely

The flywheel is one of the friction surfaces for the clutch.  Much like brake discs, having it machined to be flat provide the best friction and ensures the clutch does not wear prematurely.  Unless you enjoy changing clutches, it is a good idea to do things properly while you are there.  It is not an expensive thing to do.

Never resurfaced a fly wheel yet and as Reb78 states I've had no issues either if your hell bent on doing it you will need someone with a surface grinder or failing that a lathe with a large chuck set it up with a DTI and take a skim off with a tungsten carbide tipped tool You could do it by hand with some valve grinding paste and a sheet of glass but it will take a long time Regards Stephen

jeez - I'd pass then as would mess the hole thing up since the tools/expertise available here are limited! :)

so question 2 is closed - can anyone help on the other three ?

1) to what NM should I close the flywheel bolts and clutch cover bolts whilst doing this job?

2) how to resurface the  flywheel?

3) shall i change the 6x bolts (SX108201L) M8 X 20MM and washers (WL108002) M8, sprung ?

4) Anything else whilst at it?

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

The flywheel is one of the friction surfaces for the clutch.  Much like brake discs, having it machined to be flat provide the best friction and ensures the clutch does not wear prematurely.  Unless you enjoy changing clutches, it is a good idea to do things properly while you are there.  It is not an expensive thing to do.

I dont resurface brake discs when i change pads either. It might be cheap but finding machine shops becomes harder and adds a lot of hassle. I’ve never worn a clutch excessively and will get 100k miles out of one easily if not half again. I often end up changing them when a box or engine is out as a precaution before they are worn out. 

For number 3, reusing the bolts is fine. I have reused the washers before but might be best practice to pick up a pack and replace them (especially if they have lost their spring - i.e. are flat). 

With the crank seal, i leave it alone these days if its not leaking but I have a ramp that means the job is easier if it does start to leak. 

Thanks everyone - tomorrow I will do the job - fingers crossed.

Besides greasing the fork, anywhere else that I should apply some grease ?

I just found out that is best to apply Hylomar sealant to mating faces of bell housing and flywheel housing...whilst I am doing the job, anywhere else I should use it ?

Edited by Wheely
edit

Hey guys, started to change the clutch over the weekend - good fun doing it, and Ghanaians always create a tool whenever they don't have what's needed - however I have a question for you: there were 3 main bolts involved in the change (1-2-3 in the pics attached). I looked on the 200 TDI workshop manual (1993 edition - link here). From it I understand that 1 is the housing flywheel to cylinder block (NM 45), 2 is the flywheel to crankshaft (NM 147) and 3 is the clutch cover plate to flywheel (NM 34). The person who sold to me the clutch kit told me that 2 had to be done at 40NM and 3 at 28NM. So I am confused as to why the torque would be so different, especially for 2. Can you clarify what I am missing out? I also asked him but would love a 3rd party opinion to understand whether need to go back into it and change the torque. cheers

clutch cover.JPG

flywheel.JPG

clutch NM..JPG

7691215e-f733-489b-81f6-88c27be799e9.jpg

cb6245e8-369b-448c-b5e1-98075d17933a.jpg

If you have only done the flywheel bolts up to 40nm then I am afraid that yes you do need to take it apart and do those again, following the workshop manual procedure exactly.

Running it with them that loose will end in disaster - the flywheel needs to be very tightly held on to the end of the crankshaft, hence the 147nm torque figure.