recommendations for brake pads

Having spent an arm and a leg on EBC green stuff pads, with vented and grooved discs (front) I have have noticed the brakes are putting it mildly, alot worse. Should i just change pads to "normal" ones? I have heard the EBC green stuff only really work at high temps effectively and having vented and grooved discs keeps temp down hence never getting up to temperature, any thoughts?

I've used mintex quite happily, then again OEM parts are always good.

I use Green stuff but agree they wear out quick, I wouldn't mind if in doing so they kept the rear disks clean but alas they do not. Green stuff should work form cold, it's red stuff that are useless 'till they're smoking.

Not used black stuff, tell us more about them.

Mintex are good i do agree but i personaly found they fade quickly when the moment of madness happens !!!! or should i say when your in a rush :D ECB Vented/Grooved/Dotted FRONT. Grooved Dotted REAR with a bit of the Black EBC Stuff works very well.

In car circles greenstuff has a pretty bad reputation, often giving poor performance even compared with the OEM compounds supplied by the manufacturer. Unforutnately most of the better car compounds arent available for the landrover calipers, although motorsportworld do list EBC Yellowstuff, which does seem to have a better reputation.

I run standard "redbox" mintex pads on the A4, not really decided what to do for the defender yet. Part of me fancies some big shiney porsche calipers or similar, but i'm going to start with OEM setup and go from there.

In car circles greenstuff has a pretty bad reputation, often giving poor performance even compared with the OEM compounds supplied by the manufacturer. Unforutnately most of the better car compounds arent available for the landrover calipers, although motorsportworld do list EBC Yellowstuff, which does seem to have a better reputation.

I've heard this a lot. They dont rate the greenstuff pads well at all for many sportier cars. OEM pads on both my BMW and 110 and have no problems with them at all and both vehicles get driven in a spirited fashion from time to time! Follow the 'zeckheusen racing bedding in technique' linked to above - it works well.

yep, it should also be noted that the bedding in procedure above can be done at any time. If your brakes have been on there for a year and are starting to feel a bit carp, give them a thrashing as per that link and you'll find they come back to life. Over time the pads get glazed if they're not being worked hard, and the performance drops off. Performing the bedding procedure will burn off the mank getting you back to decent fresh material.

ok, will give em a damn gd go. The 110 regularly tows a 2ton sawmill and it got to the point where on a slope i had to stand on the brakes!

Have changed the brake servo unit and renewed the brake lines (and bleed/refreshed fluid) and braking appears much better already, will try and give the pads "what for tomorrow"!