Onboard compressors again...

Maverik

I have been though as many topics as I can find through Google and Lr4x4 but what I found was mainly on engine driven units.

Looking for a lightweight 12v air system to install in my LR90.

Options I'm considering:

T-max 4x4 adventurer

VIAIR compact

ARB compact

Its main purpose will be for tire inflation, with the possibility in mind for putting a small tank in to have a reserve for other uses - all be it light duty uses.

The VIAIR and ARB both come with tanks and thats reflected in the price.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences of either.

Cheers

Mav

I bought the older T-Max compressor, 72 litres per minute, for £50.

http://www.insideout4x4.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=75&osCsid=c38a174c7f0c979739c1d59710339af6

I'm happy with it. I found the power cable a bit short for the Disco so lengthened that myself, and the gauge isn't very accurate but I don't think any of them are that good without an upgrade (or easily fixed with a marker pen :P ). It inflates my 235/70R16's plenty fast enough, and is proving reliable to date. To be honest we had both the Viair and T-max next to each other at the time and I couldn't bring myself to spend 3 times the price.

I see the new T-Max is 160 litres per minute, and for £85 I wouldn't hesitate to buy it myself.

I now await the "you pays yer money" mantra that everyone here seems to have... :rolleyes: I did, and I had £100+ left for a Difflock drain plug, Alive EGR removal kit, Wipac work light a few strops and shackles, a map light, novelty mug and beer and food and I'm sure a few other bits I bought that day ;)

Have been running a t-max twin compressor for a few years, and been very pleased with it - there is a thread somewhere on installing it in the discovery. Getting hold of a tank is pretty easy.

The ARB unit we have used in Orange's challenge truck does diffs well, but struggles to do tyres imho.

hth

Mark

As Mark says, the standard ARB is rubbish at anything other than lockers (sometimes I onder about that, too!!). I have a PCL connection for an air line for emergencies, but it takes an age to inflate a tyre.

The T-Max one seems like a very good solution for the money and at Tel says, it can be stripped down to make it relatively small compared to the size it comes out of the box.

Chris is also right with the P38 air compressor. Very quiet and is more than capable of airing tyres.

To be honest, you're better off installing a small reservoir from the get-go as it means the compressor has an easier life.

Thanks for your comments guys, from the looks of it I think T-max or the P38 option are looking the most attractive.

The annoying thing is I can't find a catalogue for the T-max compressors, what model is this twin one a few of you have?

Cheers

Mav

Actually tracked them down to the Bearmach products catalogue... how tedious is that thing!! yikes...

ok now thourghly confused, I found a BA2663 with a pump on eather end... and I've found another BA2663 with one pump that looks a bit bigger than BA2641, anyone care to clarify?

Edited by Maverik

T-max single piston here, had it for over 2 years, used constantly. I now have a small resovoir under seat and the compressor behind the middle seat. Puts tires back on rims no problem, air duster but no big tools. been under water and mud many times. I stripped it down, absolutely no damage. Amazing value. i'd go for the double pumper, but they didn't make it then.

post-3730-063472600 1288357748_thumb.jpg post-3730-006180900 1288357754_thumb.jpg

Although my reply ought to be in the Tools & Fab section - I made a pretty good compressor out of an old winch motor driving an air-con pump.

It drew a couple of hundred amps - but spat out about 15 cfm at 100psi! Sufficient to run a rattle gun continuously without a reservoir.

I also tried the same motor driving a pressure washer - which worked pretty well too.

Si

I've got a tmax twin pump that fills an air tank (about 10 litres).

What pressure do you guys run your t max's up to ? at the moment mine is off at 100psi (ish) and back on at 90.

I've got a little regulator to drop the pressure for the arb's and winches :)

G

I've just got a new T-Max. The one thats 160ltrs per min. It pumps up a flat 235/85 in 2mins. Nothing to compare it too but i'm happy with it. The guage is carp though.

Check out "JGS-4x4" on Ebay for all the most current T-Max Gear.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/JGS-4x4-Land-Rover-Parts

Used them a few times and they are super.

I've got a tmax twin pump that fills an air tank (about 10 litres).

What pressure do you guys run your t max's up to ? at the moment mine is off at 100psi (ish) and back on at 90.

I've got a little regulator to drop the pressure for the arb's and winches :)

G

my system runs to 120psi, purely because it was the cheapest pressure switch I found http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-Compressor-Pressure-Control-Switch-90psi-120psi-/360306823738?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item53e3f5d23a

like you I use a regulator for the arb, it works well. I need to add a one way valve though. The tmax is good for 150psi I think.