Cooper ST discontinued

cackshifter

In case it's of interest, I have just been told Cooper ST tyres have been discontinued - there is a new one on the way. They may therefore not be available.

Nigel

I think there's some sort of legislation covering noise that will kill off a lot of current tread patterns so we may see quite a few go this way quickly.

Thinking about general Defender cacophony, I must admit I have never thought tyre noise was very significant. In fact I'd be glad to be able to hear tyre noise (admittedly not on mud tyres); there are so many other noises to choose from I have never noticed it.

Nigel

Thats why they got rid of the old pattern BFG MT...

Wonder how long it'll take Insa to change their pattern? or will they get away with it due to being remoulds?

remoulds will need to be changed as well. silly law trying to make them more eco friendly. Big tyres and our fuel loving, eco friendly Land Rovers help with global warming anyway :D

who cares if it snows whe its winter, we can all get about! who cares when its hot in summer, when we are sat on the hard shoulder waiting for the engine to cool down we can get a tan :D

win win

I can see 4x4's being forced out completely in the next 20 years

I can't, particularly if we get regular winters like the past few. The existing infrastructure can't cope as it is. What would organisations like the mountain rescue use?

I'm not convinced. If there's no market for the vehicles then the vehicles won't be made any more. So gov would have to pay a fortune to get them built, and organisations like Coast Guard, Mountain Rescue etc. will have to go without because they couldn't afford them?

Then there's businesses like agriculture as you mentioned. Tree surgeons, and many other lines of work that need 4x4s but don't have masses of money for them, while at the same time I don't think a company would see it as a big enough market to sell like they do now.

But I may be wrong on all this. I just don't like the way the world is going. :lol:

You make a fair point but just because one country takes a particular view does not mean that others will follow so while there might not be a market here anymore, there will still be a market in other countries and the vehicles will still be made and available for import.

Dispensation will no doubt be available to those services and industries that rely on 4x4's, the same way that the shipping and freight industry could not do without lorries and therefore, the government would not be able to ban their use. Seeing as how sod all is built here anymore, the position would not really change. 4x4's will be available for import and use to those who fall in certain categories, but I suspect they will become unaffordable to the ordinary person.

What I meant by 'forced out' was really that the cost of taxing and running a 4x4 will become extremely prohibitive and eventually, there will be few areas where we will be able to drive certain vehicles without paying ridiculous amounts of money for the privilege.

You can tell that I am feeling very doom and gloom about our future here :lol:

I agree - its clear to see what coming. Four wheel drive vehicles are fundamentally eco-unfriendly and un-necessary in the eyes of those in power. Only a matter of time before the legislaters get their sight firmly on our vehicles. Either it will be engine efficiency/fuel consumption, emmissions or something else, but I'm willing to put a substantial amount of money on these vehicles being faced out to the public within the next 20 years. The EU are outlawing herbal medicine at the moment. This is of course ridicouls to outlaw plant roots which are entirely natural, but with this thinking anything is possible.

another in a long list of reasons to move abroad. I can see 4x4's being forced out completely in the next 20 years

Not being funny, but which country would you think of going? Any

EU country would be out of the question, because they are generally worse than the uk in terms of nit picking and ridiculous regulation.

Daan

Aah, don't we all just love the logic of the EU?! they tried to make bananas straight and have told the military of all people that going to war is fine but using tanks and other machinery of destruction is bad for the environment!

so it also makes perfect sense to ban a certain tread pattern which makes too much noise but keep the remould which is exactly the same!

I can't wait to see whats next! :lol:

It is interesting, I never knew that tyres noise was a particularly big issue in the UK! Considering that the vast proportion of cars on the road run road tyres which make almost negligible noise, I wonder why the EU have gone to the trouble of implementing yet another directive! Presumably if you have tyre noise you will also have accompanying engine noise, and as such getting rid of the tyre noise is fairly pointless as another form of "noise pollution" is still present in the form of an engine! I really fail to see the point unless I am missing something!?

It does say that exact thing in the December issues review of the KM2 in LRO.

'So, im the MT was as good as everyone said, why replace it? Simple-new regulations governing the amount of rolling noise that tyres can produce will render the old pattern illegal. Its just too noisy. Before those of you running old pattern MT's complain they aren't too bad, i agree'

So what's your reason for thinking this wasn't the case?

Rich

...that their biggest market is probably not the EU. They're based on advances made with the BFG Krawler. The old MT was replaced because it was an old design, just like candles are an old design so we use light bulbs now.