workshop security

flatback90

my workshop, which is over the road from my house, has recently been "scrutinised" by members of a law abiding settled traveller family :ph34r: the thing is the workshop doesnt have power till i run a cable over from an outside socket. the only way in is thru the two doors which are 8x4 steel framed with a plastic coated steel sheet (thin) these are padlocked obviously. is there a cordless/battery alarm thats available? rocking chair and shotgun? electric fence t hingy? stun gun rigged in such a way? help before every thing goes missing!!

Are you able to hear the alarm or do you want something that alerts you via SMS etc? there are a few GSM alarms on the market made for boats/caravans that will alert your phone but not provide an actual alarm (an example don't know much about them) i.e. not alerting the law abiding member of the travelling community that you are on you way to inform them of their misadventure.

If you just want to make a noise there are simple wireless alarms that will make noise but can easily be disabled by a BFH (linky)

Jason

You can get LED security lights that recharge from solar panels, I have mates who put security lights inside their garages to scare off burglars who get past the door locks.

You can also get wirelss CCTV cameras that work 30m or more, these run from 12 volt so a battery would power them, again you could then add a caravan solar panel for power. An analogue tv picks up the signal too!

If the unit is in sight of your home you can put CCTV on your house, but I think their are issues about using it for evidence if you are CCTVing what is essentially public space.

If the unit is close enough you could fit a wireless alarm to your house with sensors in the unit, mine has a door ajar warning so I can tell if the dogs have opened the door (it's a yale BTW). One of these would give you a warning that a sensor had been triggered even when dissarmed. Again the range is about 30m so you can alarm a shed or garage.

On the cheaper end there are plenty of shed alarms that run from batteries.

When we had a unit I bought a sankey tool trailer so I could take all my stuff home and work out of the trailer. Unfortunately the unit got cleaned out before I had it ready.

A friend has a field that he keeps horses in. The field is separated into horsey-sized sections using an electric fence that runs off a car battery. You don't get a big belt from it, but its enough to make you tingle, especially when climbing over said fence with some light summer shorts on!! :ph34r::lol:

I see no reason why you couldn't rig something up to the doors and electrocute the buggers in a similar fashion. I'm sure someone will be along to mention the legal implications of this at some point :rolleyes:

Dan :)

I'm sure someone will be along to mention the legal implications of this at some point :rolleyes:

Hello !! :lol:

I had a discussion with the HSE guy who visited my workshop about coating some steelwork with grease so anyone climbing it would slip up slightly. His reply was "unfortunately you're not allowed to because you have a duty of care towards anyone on your premises. You'd have to have a good reason for coating the steelwork with grease." He emphasised "unfortunately." I suggested rustproofing might be a good enough reason - no comment!

My local dumpit site has an electric fence running round the inside of the perimeter fence, so there must be some way it can be done, unless it's just a dummy.

How about something attached to the garage doors so that when the doors were rattled it accidently fell onto the ignition coil of your truck, cos the bonnet was open, and at the same time shorted the ignition circuit accidently sending a high tension jolt to the garage door?

That would be accidental and it would take some unfortunate chain of event to be established for it to happen in all but the most unlikely of circumstances, officer.

:ph34r:

I did once have a fire extinguisher attached to my garage door. It was one of those with the hose for running under the bonnet of a car. When the gate was rattled hard enough the old perished hose broke and squirted halon gas in the direction of the rattle.

Thinking outside the box a bit, and as an aside from the obvious alarms, and assuming complaints wouldn't be an issue, how about a recording of a large dog, on some kind of timer? to go off either randomly or on a sensor?

I know our three German Shepherds barking disuades all but stupid/really brave people from coming close...

If it is line of sight, there is a much easier way:

For 30 yards and under, one of these-

Mossberg_500_2_barrels.png

with 00 buck shot would work remarkably well - especially in the 8+1 shot version.

For longer range scrote prevention, one of these -

chey-tac.jpg

Both perfectly legal in the UK, although maybe frowned upon for use against our caravan dwelling friends.

One of the most effective things I've seen was a barking dog alarm.

Nobody is fooled by a recording of a dog for very long. However, this was rigged to a geared motor with an eccentric heavy weight on the drive shaft. The motor was connected to the wall by some heavy chain.

When the motor switched on - it leaped around like a wild thing. You could feel the vibration of it banging through the ground and hear the chain rattling. It sounded like a frenzied-psycho-dog-on-amphetamines!

It was connected to a PIR sensor by the door and would just keep going as long as you stand there. It's 'owner' made a point of shouting at it as he unlocked the door. I was totally convinced by it - and I only went there to buy some Land Rover parts.

I think if I were 'scrutinising' the premises and was a little on edge anyway - this would direct my 'scrutinising' elsewhere!

Si

I'm sure someone will be along to mention the legal implications of this at some point :rolleyes:

Hello !! :lol:

I had a discussion with the HSE guy who visited my workshop about coating some steelwork with grease so anyone climbing it would slip up slightly. His reply was "unfortunately you're not allowed to because you have a duty of care towards anyone on your premises.

Sad but true. On a similar note, if someone breaks into our department, steals some wood and uses our circular saw to cut it into manageable, stealable peices and looses a finger in the process, My HOD goes to court/prison for it. the law is a bit of an ass sometimes.

However, you can use anti-vandal paint can't you?

One thing I'd never recomend would be a real dog, you just end up with no tools and a big hole in the garden full of dead dog.

you get to dig the hole yourself :angry:

To properly deter other scrotes and with complete protection from the law, you need a caravan.

Many a true word spoken in jest.

The one good thing about Ireland is there have been cases of trespassers being shot and killed entering properties.

I cant remember too much, but there is a certain amount of legal protection for the landowner if they can prove that it was un-invited entry.

Makes electricity a wonderful friend along with firearms!

H

I believe Maplins also do wireless/battery powered alarms.

After a spate of outbuilding break-ins locally and clear signs that my workshop had been 'investigated' for access i invested in the Maplin alarm and i can vouch for it being VERY loud as i often forget its fitted and its scares the **** out of me when it goes off after 3 seconds. I opted the mag switch type rather than the PIR version as i did not want mice setting it off accidently. Good value fo money in my opinion.

Nigel

What you need is a 12v batt, trembler coil and some wires - connect it to an insulated door handle (that's the difficult but not impossible bit), when they try the door handle they provide the earth and get the benefit of about 40,000 volts, the same as you would get from a spark plug.

My garage never got broken into..... but next doors did.