Bitsa on auction site

darryloh

There is a "90" on our favourite auction site listed as 230574727518 I'm not having a go, but this is clearly not a 90, and this landyman who's selling really should know better. It looks like a nice enough machine, I feel if he'd advertised it as a hybrid, it would be fine, but this is misleading, I would not like to see some poor newby buying a 1975 "90".

Luckily I have had a Defender before, and a 1990 RR, and several disco's so I am not blind to certain things. Another he has advertised is missing the heater box and pipework. Fairly major thing not to mention. Item number 230573952480.

There is a "90" on our favourite auction site listed as 230574727518 I'm not having a go, but this is clearly not a 90, and this landyman who's selling really should know better. It looks like a nice enough machine, I feel if he'd advertised it as a hybrid, it would be fine, but this is misleading, I would not like to see some poor newby buying a 1975 "90".

It's registered as 1980. It has a split screen, old style doors, a 3.5v8 on SU carbs....hardly a new truck ? Why is it not a 90 ?

G

Edit : according to wikipedia, 90's came into production in 1983ish. So i see your point of view with regards to registration date.

It's registered as 1980. It has a split screen, old style doors, a 3.5v8 on SU carbs....hardly a new truck ? Why is it not a 90 ?

G

Edit : according to wikipedia, 90's came into production in 1983ish. So i see your point of view with regards to registration date.

90's never had split windscreens, just a one piece screen just like the 110,

it's a coil sprung Series LR Hybrid & no way is it a 90.

According to the DVLA it was build in 1975 and first registered in 1980 and has a 2 1/4 petrol engine in it not a "3500cc V8"

it must be an early factory prototype biggrin.gif must be worth a fortunebiggrin.gif

I don't think threads like this are any good for the forum...

I sort of agree with you and then again don't!!

I don't agree with the posts on here that cast dispersions on every car for sale on ebay, we are not the ebay police and I don't know may Land Rovers that make it through their life's without being modified in some why, when restoring my Series One it was interesting to see the scars of its previous life's and figure out what they had done. changing a bulkhead or front wings on a S3 or even getting rid of the Leafs and sticking in springs is not an issue or indeed a big deal and not illegal to my knowledge and therefore people commenting on the changes made and making the insinuation that it must be stolen/ringer is clearly wrong.

However where I do think these posts add value is where someone not necessarily a member of this forum is looking to buy a land rover for the first time and does not know what to look out for, and could be duped out of their hard earned.

As with any forum people can be reluctant to ask questions for fear of looking stupid (I know that it does not happen on here but does on other LR forums) so that is what people expect not everyone is an 'expert' or 'rivet counter' but many on here have owned several Land Rovers and learnt the hard way about what to look out for and what is correct and what has been altered or even what is not what it portrays to be.

In the above case the LR is described as a Defender, not going to get into the modifications etc again but I don't think there is any harm in telling people why it is not a Defender, that is not saying it is a bad LR just not a Defender. More of a concern would be the unregistered engine change which may cause an potential buyer lots of issues with the DVLA/VOSA when it came to MOT time, again something that people may not be aware of.

Jason.

I dont bother reading these threads anymore, they always end up in arguments unfortunately. I supposed it is good there is a warning about it for prospective buyers, but thats it, it can drop of the page no problem imo.

daan

I dont bother reading these threads anymore, they always end up in arguments unfortunately. I supposed it is good there is a warning about it for prospective buyers, but thats it, it can drop of the page no problem imo.

daan

surely you've just read this thread? :P

and how many landies do you see on this certian auction site being called "jeeps" **shivvers :( ** in the description, doesn't mean they are actually trying to sell you a landy as a jeep!

And doing the necessary background check when buying a car is always needed, ebay or autotrader or private ad.

As a proclaimed rivet counter, I actually find these type of ads quite interesting, I usualy learn something about landys while doing a bit of investigation into what I'm looking at and what I think I'm looking at.

For the obvious "pure" forum readers who want to read only about technical issues than I can see that these posts can cause huge discomfort and loathing.... <_< (cough, cough - get over it!)

Why not put a new directory attached to the buyers advice or somewhere, where they can be collated and kept out of immediate sight? Content often included in these threads is very valuable for first time buyers.

Mav (The Rivet Counter)