polishing

nino

I did mine over with T-Cut when I first got it, and it was very nice and shiny :)

Then I did various things such as rolling it which made the paintwork less tidy, but it looked nice for a while!

I've been told that polishing the paintwork adds an extra layer of protection from scratches incurred from branches and undergrowth etc. Might be useful if you're a greenlaner.

at the mo it dont go anywhere near mud or dirt as its only been on the road for 6 months and i have another for them sort of things

i built and sprayed it myself at work using enamal paint that all i needed to do was add thinners to put it through a spary gun and since then its only had one wash in december, can u tell it dont get used much lol

i need to wash it again and was thinking should i give it a once over with t cut as it hasnt had one yet and then wax it with something??

the last time i polished a car was in my vw days about 6 years ago and all i used was auto glim stuff but that was good paint allready and never needed cutting back to give it a shine

I try to wax mine a couple of times a year to help protect the paint over winter from the ravages of salt and grit etc.

Its 20+years old and the paint is full of chips etc on the bonnet but the rest is good and it seems a shame to let it get any worse if I can avoid it.

I have photographic evidence of my wife cleaning my 110 three years ago....

I've run the jetwash over it whenever it's covered in mud to get mud off the undersides and get the worst off the outside... Don't believe it's been polished in over 3 years....

But then the paintwork is pretty patchy and might not last if given too much attention ! :-)

So, sorry, but unlikely to be able to offer assistance...

Neil

Depends what you want to achieve, but this is my routine about 4 times a year

plus washing at least 2x a month and quick polish.

Complete degrease

Thorough wash body/ underneath using soap+ powerwash

Rinse

Sponge wash

Rinse

Clay bar

Sponge wash

Colour polish

Several layers of polish

Finishing polish

The main benefit is that the paintwork is protected and it is easy to wash when really mucky. And also use proper car care products, not fairy liquid. :rolleyes:

I've T-cut my Ninety many years ago, and waxed it straight after, but it didn't stay shiney for long. These days I'm quite happy if I get time to jet wash it. I found the flat areas such as lower doors, bonnet and upper rear side panels easy enough, but there're so many fiddly bits to work around on a Defender, you'll need some commitment.

In theory a polished car will be more economical as it slips through the air with it's reduced surface friction. I can't see this being of much significance to something as un-aerodynamic as a Defender, but I reckon jet washing off several pounds of mud reduces the weight you're carting around. I still can't see a dramatic improvement of economy from this, we are talking Landrovers after all :lol:

I do mine with t-cut once in a while and polish it quite regularly. Yes I quite like it when she's shiny :P but the main reason is to try and protect the paint work from all rubbish and salt on the roads and keep it in as good nick as possible for as long as possible. Of course, a good coat of mud protects the paint from all that rubbish on the roads too ;)

Polish it?! I washed it February last year, and again recently to jetwash the road salt off the underneath....

I think defenders look much better dirty!

Clearly thats not the popular opinion! :D

Edit:

I clean the glass and plates now and again though...

Edited by hobson

I've tried jetwashing followed by washing with Fenwicks motorhome cleaner, followed by Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler, which I think is a kind of liquid wax whic basically you just tip over. The motorhome cleaner is better than their caravan cleaner as it has fly remover added, and loosens green slime etc. The end result is noticeably shinier and cleaner looking than just a wash, with very little effort. It's not especially cheap but it's very concentrated so you don't use very much. Also good for doing the horse trailer, and used their overwintering on fluid on that . Nigel

just want a bit of a shine and a easyer job when i come to wash it again in 6 months time lol

im only goin to do the wings, bonnet, doors and rear tub and back door as there the easyest to do with out messing about goin round the hinges or bits lol

being a pick up theres not much to do anyway

stage one compleet

last night i washed the car badley in the dark and dried it, put it in the garage and didnt do a bad job as i couldnt see much lol

stuck the heater on and used the airline to blow excess water from out under the cappings vent flaps hinges ect ready to put the polish on tonight

stage one compleet

last night i washed the car badley in the dark and dried it, put it in the garage and didnt do a bad job as i couldnt see much lol

stuck the heater on and used the airline to blow excess water from out under the cappings vent flaps hinges ect ready to put the polish on tonight

Be carefull using T-Cut on synthetic paints as it can dull it down !!!, T-Cut has armonia in it, might be best off just using a good quality wax,

Had my last disco for 3 years & only washed it once :blush:

John

never doin that again i can tell u, it didnt seem this hard 6 years ago and i used to do the whole car back then??

well

polished it with megs stuff

guick wax with megs stuff

cleaned windows

dressed tyres with megs stuff

it was a pick up so all i did was wings doors bonnet rear tub and back and the back of cab

didnt bother with hinges or bulkhead bits ass too many sticky out bits made it difficult to do in one go lol

but at least wen i wash it next time it wont feel like im cleaning sandpaper

puty pix up tomorrow once i got it out garage in daylight

I've shown you this elsewhere nino but might as well let other people see it. The runner up in 3M's cleanest car UK was a nice 90 that gets regularly used off road Adams 90 Its got so much polish on it that last year at billing show when i went round the off road course with him, the muddy water had dried and flaked off the paint in the wind by the time we got back to the showground!

I think polishing the exhaust is a bit too far though.