Crimps and Crimpers

Anderzander

I want to buy some non insulated crimps and a better crimping tool - the non insulated crimps seem to look a bit more 'factory' than the often used colour coded insulated ones.

My experiences of wiring before the Land Rover was working on motorcycle looms - where I mainly soldered joints and used block connectors. So - I'm naive as to exactly what to buy. I'd like to source few female spade connectors, pvc / rubber covers, and a crimper.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please?

CPC - is just down the road from me and I was hoping to be able to just pop in and pick them up. They have a crimper : Link and covers: Link ....

but the only 6.5 crimps I seem to be able to find on their baffling site - is this one: Link

I'd expected to find a few different crimp terminals to suit different wire sizes - but this seems to be the only one and its for 16 - 20 awg, which Google has told me is 0.8mm to 1.0mm.

Am I missing something?

Any suggestions or recommendations gratefully received!

"CPC - is just down the road from me and I was hoping to be able to just pop in and pick them up. They have a crimper : Link"

When I rewired my Series 1 I avoided spade terminals like the plague due to having no crimper. I used bullet connectors instead. However 10 years down the line all the double connectors have the insulation fallen off and needed renewing.

These crimper's look pretty good and dirt cheep from what I can see. I may well be purchasing a set as at this price even for the limited number of spades that I have they are worth it.

Cheers,

Marc.

I have the same crimpers, plus the insulated versions and they are pretty good (mine came from VWP but it's all the same).

CPC don't seem to stock any uninsulated crimps (the ones you list & these alternatives are both "no longer stocked"), and I've had variable quality from CPC with these in the past. VWP have always been pretty good for terminals, quality-wise, whereas eBay specials & bargain basement stuff has been a bit like the britpart lottery :P

I think it's worth spending a bit more on the ratchet type crimpers as they let you do reliable and consistent joints. The cheap type that you just squeeze and judge the crimp seem really unreliable to me.

I got an ok set from RS Components.

Another for the ratchet type crimpers. I have two sets, one for the usual sizes of red, blue and yellow crimps and another for the non insulated type. I've had them for about 25 years.

I also have an 16 ton hydraulic crimper for those winch cables with dies for 16mm to 300mm http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180485179833&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This looks far more appropriate for LR usage - and amazingly cheap for what it is... eBlag hydraulic crimper

I have a ratchet style crimp tool for both insulated and non insulated crimps, and I wouldn't go back to using another type. The non-insulated one came from polevolt quite recently and who have been excellent to deal with.

cheers

Mark

One thing I'd say is for the uninsulted terminals you need crimpers with a kind of inverted 'W' on the top part of the business end. As you squeeze, it gets the 2 prongs of the cable grip part and bends each 180 (round the bottom of the W) and sticks it into the middle of the cable to grip it. If you look at an official loom you'll see what I mean. Most cheap crimpers just flatten. (It might be possible to get that effect though with cheap crimpers and a warding file) If you can't get that type of crimp they dont stay on very well.

Nigel

Just been in www.furneauxriddall.com pompey and they have kits on offer (in their bargin bin in fact) for £17+vat with the good ratchet crimpers in a party-selection pack of terminals. Nearly bought one myself, even though I have both in abundance in the shed :lol:

They are also generally a good place for that sort of thing, as all their stuff is at least Durite or better.

I've put 5 Carling switches plus other re-wiring in my 90 and used this link one from VWP. It accommodates various sizes and also turns the tags over to grip the conductor/insulator. Yes the ratchet version would have been nice but this one works perfectly well and they have a good range of terminals.

Malcolm

Just been in www.furneauxriddall.com pompey and they have kits on offer (in their bargin bin in fact) for £17+vat with the good ratchet crimpers in a party-selection pack of terminals. Nearly bought one myself, even though I have both in abundance in the shed :lol:

They are also generally a good place for that sort of thing, as all their stuff is at least Durite or better.

Furneauxriddall is a great place, especially for battery cable and crimps (also good for other stuff). They are much better than vehicle wiring products.

Very good at mail order via internet

Just for completeness and to round the thread off:

I bought some uninsulated crimped spade connectors and rubber sleeves from VWP and the crimper I linked to before, from CPC.

Very happy with the whole lot.

The crimps turned up in super fast time from VWP and are nice quality. I prefer the uninsulated ones as they have the 2 clamps: 1 that rolls in like an M to hold the outer cable and 1 that rolls in to grip the actual wire. Like the factory ones do.

The ratchet crimper is a bargain for about £20 - and for the amount it will get used (ie not day in day out) is as much as I'd want to pay really.

IMO the other nice things about these uninsulated crimps is that they look more pukka than their garish insulated relatives .....

feb0b10f.jpg

7a3e1729.jpg

41d42339.jpg