Alpine 110

Very nice, but I would lose the full length roof rack!!

They are noisy, catch the wind and reduce mpg. Only keep a roof rack fitted if you need it all the time, otherwise just fit it when it's needed.

Zoltan: it is a Defender why would it not leak?!! :rolleyes::D:)

Ghastly looking thing that Alpine 110. There's nothing wrong with the classic Defender look if you ask me, although I will settle for the late Td5 style interior, lighting and wings etc. as those are the best looking Defenders in my opinion. These 'bling' (SVX etc.) models are awful.

But then I can't stand the look of Puma models either, especially the interior :moglite::P

Ideal vehicle for someone who hasnt got a clue about what they actually want/need .

Start with a defender , decrease its off road capability with a wheel tyre package more suited to a Saxo , then try and make its barn door aerodynamics, go faster by big tuning package and then slow it down again by fittin a roof rack , they are probably in the more money than sense bracket I would think.

Ghastly looking thing that Alpine 110. There's nothing wrong with the classic Defender look if you ask me, although I will settle for the late Td5 style interior, lighting and wings etc. as those are the best looking Defenders in my opinion. These 'bling' (SVX etc.) models are awful.

But then I can't stand the look of Puma models either, especially the interior :moglite::P

I agree.

I also hate the Puma heater for having the ability of actually producing a surplus of heat within a short space of time and then being able to direct it on the side windows or on hands, face or feet. The reduction in cabin noise levels are a bitch too as is the updated instrument binnacle. Oh to return several decades when all you had for interior heat was a passenger or dog along with a thick coat or perhaps the minuscule bit of puff from an old round Smiths heater over by the gear lever and to have to scrape the ice off both the inside and outside of the screen while you were driving. Been there, done that.

I agree.

I also hate the Puma heater for having the ability of actually producing a surplus of heat within a short space of time and then being able to direct it on the side windows or on hands, face or feet. The reduction in cabin noise levels are a bitch too as is the updated instrument binnacle. Oh to return several decades when all you had for interior heat was a passenger or dog along with a thick coat or perhaps the minuscule bit of puff from an old round Smiths heater over by the gear lever and to have to scrape the ice off both the inside and outside of the screen while you were driving. Been there, done that.

I can't wait to be that guy, still got to do my time on the old uns first I recon.... :rolleyes: (said sincerly!)

I agree.

I meant the appearance of it, and the layout. Part of the Defender's appeal to me is it's simple 'storage bin' dash.

As for heat, I have no problem with that in mine. Just 90% of older Defender heaters are either set up incorrectly, have a blocked matrix or knackered thermostat, or the seals are gone and half the air escapes. All those sorted they are perfectly adequate.

Of course I wouldn't say no to a better heating system, just not one that comes with the new engine and dashboard :P

It's not for me. I don't see the point in high performance Defenders - the off road ability and normal driving characteristics are too compromised and they just look garish, especially on such wheels.

The wheels and tyres a re a particularly serious issue: how vastly is the already large turning circle increased, and how exactly are you supposed to open the back door with that spare? Even if you could operate the handle, the tyre will buckle the rear quarter panel as the door opens... then there's the fact that high performance vehicles look stupid when covered in dirt or with damaged paintwork, which will occur as soon as this thing is driven over a gravel or mud track - the wide wheels will grit blast the wings and rear panels.

I just can't see the point in these things, but I don't like the LR special editions like the Heritage, SVX, Fire and Ice or the latest released (can't remember the names) either. The Camels, 90SV and the 50th Anniversary specials were the only ones I liked. :unsure:

Have you seen it in the flesh? They had a couple at the Autosport show and whilst it's not exactly my cup of tea I did think they looked much better than I was expecting. One of them was well over the top inside, leather roof lining etc. but the quality was very good and some parts quite appealing. Far better than any of the Kahn nonsense IMHO.

As with most Land Rovers though I think time always shows they look better as they left the factory. Take a Series 1 or early Classic, an unmodified original in good nick is just ubercool.