Hydroboost Brake Conversion Kits.

ajh

How much interest here would there be in a bolt-on hydro-boost brake assist conversion kit? Has anyone here done the conversion and able to offer up some insight into just how much of an improvement it makes? I'm in the process of working with a vendor to come up with a kit, I have both LHD and RHD 200TDI Defenders here and will have a 300TDI one shortly and would be looking for someone with a NAS V8 who would be interested in brakes that feel more like a modern vehicle than a tractor.

My goal is to ship both to the UK and North America to get volumes up enough to bring the costs into a realistic range and it will include a complete bolt-on master and booster assembly plus the hoses to plumb into the power-steering system. A proportioning valve will also likely be included to allow adjustment of front-rear brake bias.

One other thing I've been considering is fitting a remote vac booster to the clutch if there's any interest in having a light clutch pedal out there.

I've love to get feedback on other things to consider, general opinions, etc.

Fitting a booster to the clutch is something I have considered, so will be interesting to see where you can go with that.

Also interested to find why you think there is a need for a boosted brake system? I've found L/R brakes to be very good, my 90 pulls up quickly and straight, even with 1/2 ton of steel in the back. Even my 88" brakes nicely and that's on drums! Very good feel on both systems, don't need to use a lot of pressure at all. Or are you thinking more for those who reguarly hang 3+ tons off the back, and so for whom easier brakes would be a benefit?

It's also worth noting that while a boost system will change the feel of the brakes, and make them easier to apply, it won't actually increase braking performance. The only way to do that is bigger discs/calipers/drums etc.

LR brakes correctly maintained are very powerful, I can't see why a extra system would be required,

to get a lighter clutch pedal just fit the 300Tdi/Td5 pedal assembly, it has a better assist spring & vac booster won't do anything to make the hydraulics work better.

I too find the brakes on my Td5 90 fine. No need for any further assistance. Also, I wonder what my insurance company would say about an after market fitment to the brake system. HOWEVER, SWMBO would love the clutch to be lighter. If you come up with some sort of servo assist for the clutch at a reasonable price I might just be a customer.

Try driving 11h/day for 4 weeks and see how you feel about it. Also, try driving a modern vehicle and see how things differ, yes what is there is 'adequate' but for people who need more or expect more I want to have a good reliable off-the-shelf option so people don't have to come up with their own setup every time. If you think the brakes on your vehicle are fine, then this is not something you'd be interested in which is fine, there are billions of people not interested, we don't need to hear from all of them.

I reckon it's a great idea!

My 109 used to have non-assisted drums which were terrible! You really had to stand on the pedal to get the thing to stop. Tall people (long legs) have their legs in a real weird Z-shape position which makes it harder to press down on the pedal and in my case it hurts on the knees.

I know have huge ventilated discs front an back and it really is a revelation to have GOOD brakes! Not much pedal pressure and enourmous brake force.

If I were to fit larger tyres I would be looking at hydro-boost if only to keep the light pedal pressure. Why would I 'have to live with it' when it can be a lot lighter and more comfortable?

The clutch, same story... when offroad it hurts my knee because it's so damn heavy (LR master, Toy slave and clutch). Luckily I know a source for a booster so that will be installed soon.

i'd love a lighter clutch pedal, even though mines a 300tdi - its still heavy when you are in traffic.

Nothing wrong with the brakes though, you dont need to stand on them with any real force to get the wheels to lock. If they were any lighter i think it would be quite silly.

How much interest here would there be in a bolt-on hydro-boost brake assist conversion kit? Has anyone here done the conversion and able to offer up some insight into just how much of an improvement it makes? I'm in the process of working with a vendor to come up with a kit, I have both LHD and RHD 200TDI Defenders here and will have a 300TDI one shortly and would be looking for someone with a NAS V8 who would be interested in brakes that feel more like a modern vehicle than a tractor.

My goal is to ship both to the UK and North America to get volumes up enough to bring the costs into a realistic range and it will include a complete bolt-on master and booster assembly plus the hoses to plumb into the power-steering system. A proportioning valve will also likely be included to allow adjustment of front-rear brake bias.

One other thing I've been considering is fitting a remote vac booster to the clutch if there's any interest in having a light clutch pedal out there.

I've love to get feedback on other things to consider, general opinions, etc.

I am interested in this idea... might stop the on set of "jelly leg" when your half way up a 200m winch climb, your brakes are full of mud and the co-man is messing about (out of breath) trying to hook you on to the next tree before you start to slip....

But also interested in the tech with your kit where are you getting the hydraulic pressure from? power steering pump?

I guess you are replacing the master cylinder as well?

paul

• 8 years later...