Beadlocks?

Warthog

I've played arround with outside beadlocks and I found fitting and welding them up a total PITA. I think it may have been because I was doing high offset rims at the same time. Really, really not entertaining. Then there's the fitting. Self centering is hard and there's an aweful lot of bolts to do up :(

Straun beadlocks are very overpriced here and, from people I've spoken to, are a swine to fit. Plus I've heard of a few failiers.

Double beadlock split rims are IMHO the best option. Totally failsafe, legal, easy to self centre the tyres but not cheap. This is what I'll be doing but I'm undecieded on whether I go Matt Lee or Stazworks; the rims are at the end of the shopping list.....

I've played arround with outside beadlocks and I found fitting and welding them up a total PITA. I think it may have been because I was doing high offset rims at the same time. Really, really not entertaining. Then there's the fitting. Self centering is hard and there's an aweful lot of bolts to do up :(

Straun beadlocks are very overpriced here and, from people I've spoken to, are a swine to fit. Plus I've heard of a few failiers.

Double beadlock split rims are IMHO the best option. Totally failsafe, legal, easy to self centre the tyres but not cheap. This is what I'll be doing but I'm undecieded on whether I go Matt Lee or Stazworks; the rims are at the end of the shopping list.....

Will , nothing wrong with stauns if you check your tyre pressure's, they are inertubes so lose pressure,only as good as the tube. i my self run pitbulls at the moment :( 12 months so if they work with these they will work with anyother tyre as these go on at 4 psi and falloff as easy :angry: when first got them i did 2 of the outside and one of the inside within 10 yards at 8psi :D but since putting stauns in not had a problem touch wood :)

I don't think anyone disagrees that a double beadlock is not better, but a normal single beadlock is much cheaper and it is quite rare that you drop a bead with one.

Make sure that you purchase ones that have a formed ring in the shape of the bead. This ensures that the outer bead self centers when you bolt it up. Many cheap versions do not use these and you get wobbly tyres.

Allied's beadlocks are probably the best pricey quality wheel available easily in the Rover pattern, http://www.high-impact.net/wheels/index.htm

Formed locking ring

I have used a 'PU'based compond called 3 bond from japan for glueing tyres on and yep i works spot on.It,s main use is to be used as an engine sealer it works a treat on both applications.Not cheap mind about £25 a tube (size of a tooth paste tube).

Hi Chris

How many tyres can you do per tube. I was thinking this may solve BFG MT's probs with always getting carp between wheel and tyre and slowly deflating.

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

i looked it the diy kits........ then made my own.

had the rings cut from 6mm steel, at a local laser cutting factory........ cost £50 for 10 rings. £5 for bolts and another £50 for tubes.

seem to work fine and even passed the MOT with them on :blink:

27072006002.jpg

i looked it the diy kits........ then made my own.

had the rings cut from 6mm steel, at a local laser cutting factory........ cost £50 for 10 rings. £5 for bolts and another £50 for tubes.

seem to work fine and even passed the MOT with them on :blink:

27072006002.jpg

They look good

did you do both sides

nope...... not stainless.... just a good coat of silver hammerite.

there are two rings per wheel, the first is welded to the rim, then the bead is sandwiched between the rings and the bolts tightened up. :)

have only done the outside as ive never lost a tyre off the bead on the inside............. but now ive said that i probably will next time out. :D

They're the best sort Nige. Split rim, just bolt the two halves together with the tyre in between.

Add a polyprop ring during assembly (think of this as replacing the tube) that's trapped inside and holds the beads out against the rim edges

Makes seating, sealing and centring the tyre simple and like you can't tell from looking that its a double bead lock.

okey dokey,

Matt Lee internal double beadlocks (depending on size and width) £170-200 a pop

John @ Staz - Dished centres, split type (as seen in the pics) $350 a go

untitled.JPG

scuse the dodgy bit of paint but new laptop means I cant convert drawings to jpegs at the mo

hope this helps clear the fog a bit Nige? :unsure:

Mr From Hell - did you see this thread? - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=4056&hl=

It's about as close as your gonna get to a legality answer I think.

Personally I'd be pretty happy to run them, but I'm probably going the Stazzies / double internal locks route, so they'll never know anyway.

Understated bling is cooler than an entire hardware shop spinning round on your wheels... Plus they seem like a simpler / possibly lighter solution. The problems with Stauns are enough to put me off, but I know they work fine for most people.

Al.

Hmmmm

Have never seen these, always recognised a 2Beadlocking" wheel & Rim etc as the giveaway "ring of bolts around the outside " ...

How good are these then ?

And as I am sitting down - typically how much are they :blink: ?

Nige

16"x 8 cost you 225 US dollars. Had them speciall made with a special pressed center from another steel then John is using normal. The same i wanted with the poly insert he had to make them as light as possible and he did. For these specifications a payed an extra 25 dollar a rim.

i have now two complete sets of these rims and they are even better then you see it on the photo.

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that every bead it self is not the same in thickness. Mine where specially made for the simex and i tried a wrangler and that didn't fitt at al. The bead is much thinner as the simex.

The painting on the rim is on a very high level.

You can order the rims as you want them John is a very helpfull guy. Every offset is possible.