<cough> whats up with orange stuff?

HoSS

As a relative newbie on this forum, i seem to have missed something about the 'orange' parts manufacturer.

I've caught various references to it in posts.

Is there some real reason behind all of this?

I'm getting worried cos i have said springs & lift kit (fitted by previous owner) on my 110 CSW. :huh:

Orange stuff is great, go and buy lots of it tomorrow! This is an Orange coloured sh**e supporting forum. The mechanical experience gained from having to repeatedly change/replace/repair - orange coloured stuff is worth the expense in my opinion. Where else would you learn how to change springs every other week, after the experience of having to do it with orange stuff. You'll be able to tell the 'boing' of an orange spring at 100 paces and become the envy of your friends and family. On the other hand you could buy stuff from that dodgy Simonr guy - X-eng I think it's called. Fit it and forget it I think is the phrase - where's the fun in that!! :(

Les. :lol:

Ok, seriously. What are the general problems? What do i need to watch for?

The big problem is with their business ethics. Several people here have had very poor service from them and they have 5h17 on one of our members rather badly.

I have Scorpion springs and DeCarbon shocks on my 90 and, to be fair, I cannot fault them.

Chris

If you are going to Billing take half an hour out and hang around their stand.

Have a laugh at the succession of poor s*ds asking where their order is. Wonder why all their stock is unpriced and in glass cabinets.

Probably wont need half an hour..

This may be an inappropriate point to ask this - but is the rest of their stuff as bad? I like the look of their tree sliders, but if they are going to be a disaster then I will get some DiscoParts ones...

Please don't shout at me!

This may be an inappropriate point to ask this - but is the rest of their stuff as bad? I like the look of their tree sliders, but if they are going to be a disaster then I will get some DiscoParts ones...

Please don't shout at me!

Go ahead and buy them from Discoparts, nice people, easy to deal with and in my experience anyway, ethical.

I am not going to defend scrapiron in anyway shape or form (see my sig...) but I have to admit to having one of their Discovery winch bumpers. I bought it third hand through eBay, but it came from them originally nonetheless, and I am very pleased with it. It dosn't overhang the front like so many others do, and is generally very neat. I have managed to bend it, but that was the driver's fault (not me at the time) not the bumpers fault. If I could have found who they copied the design off, I would have bought it from them, but I have to admit that their winch bumper for discos is OK.

I wouldn't rate their suspension, but as has been said, some batches are good, some are bad - which dosn't say much for thier quality control.

I plan to buy stuff from discoparts in the future (Mmmm new rear bumper) and not from scrapiron, but I am all for a bit of balance.

Mark

Thanks MArk.

I woould love to find out who makes some of their better stuff (or who they "borrowed" the design from) - I've heard their rear HD bumper is pretty good as well as the tree sliders, but would rather not buy from them if I like the alternatives from other companies.

Also get very bored of all their ads in the LR mags... :angry:

As I understand it a lot of thier fabrication is done by a company whose board of directors are common to scrapirons board these days...

I am planning to get the discoparts rear bumper at billing, not least because it seems to be the only one that uses more than just the standard 2 M10 bolts to hold it on (see here: Installing a discoparts rear bumper). I have had prompt responses to my emails to them, and they seem nice people.

Mark

Thanks MArk.

I woould love to find out who makes some of their better stuff (or who they "borrowed" the design from) - I've heard their rear HD bumper is pretty good as well as the tree sliders, but would rather not buy from them if I like the alternatives from other companies.

Also get very bored of all their ads in the LR mags... :angry:

As Tony says it was WVH of Bradford, you can view and buy their stuff direct via their trading name of Safari-Equip, Clicky

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi Mark,

I've spoken to Mark Casey at Discoparts a few times now and like you say - excellent and friendly service. I've also been to meet Darren whose website you've seen there and the HD bumper looks great as do the treesliders.

Steve,

Thanks for the link - I've been on their site before and saw that the sliders looked similar, but the scorpion ones look like they enclose the sill whereas the WVH ones look like they bolt to chassis and sill. Anyway - I sent them an e-mail to clarify and they never answered...

It's just one of thise things - I prefer the look of the rounded tree slider, but would rather support someone other than the Orange guys...

I'm gonna have a good look round at Billing anyway, so will see how I feel about things when I've actually seen the products first hand - and laughed at the queue of people at SR having a rant!