110 csw shock mounts/springs

Hey all,

Ive bought a set of springs off someone secondhand and I was led to believe that they were 110 heavy duty ones. I wanted to fit them to my 110 csw as a replacement as the boge selfleveler is weak (not working) and I tend to carry a fair amount of stuff around in the vehicle too. Im also working towards comverting it to a Dormobile.

Now the problem is that when I fitted one this evening, it looked to be way too tall and I fitted it by jacking up the corner, taking the shock out and jacking higher with the highlift till I could get the spring out and the replacement back in. Now when I brought the jack back down, the settled position was beyond the reach of the shock (it would need to be longer).

Basicly does this sound right?

There are no identifying patterns apart from that they are yellow/rusty. Are there any identifying markings on OME springs?

Any thoughts would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

Hugh.

I don't know about the HD springs but I did fit (for exactly the same reason) some standard (van-back) springs to my 110CSW since I've now got a gun cabinet permanently installed in the back.

The dampers (technically the springs are the shock-absorbers) are cheap generic 110 ones and standard-length, they have been replaced in the last 20k since they were weeping. Now something that did happen with putting the "normal" springs on was that the vehicle now rides ~1" higher than before because the original CSW springs were sagging, i.e. it's back to almost normal height now. My understanding is that all springs should be the same "height" just have different levels of stiffness and therefore how much they can be compressed by as opposed to how tall they are.

Although I'm not a definitive source on it I would have said that there are two possibilities - 1) the dampers are too short or 2) the springs are not "standard height". I'd go with 2) which basically means that the HD springs are in fact ones with a lift. If you want I can see if I remember to measure the height of the van-back ones on my CSW tomorrow when I bolt the tub back on (hoping to be able to separate the rear x-member a bit to do some preemptive painting on it to stop rust but doesn't look like jacking it up is a simple job).

If they are yellow then they are probably Britpart, and may have a 2" lift. Sounds like it.

Throw them away and get proper springs.

Either standard van back springs or TD5 csw progressives, Both of wich mean you can junk the self leveller.

Other makes of spring are available but imo' are generally overpriced.

There is a guy in Canada who has put all the spring dimensions on the web. This info has been there for ages. All credit to the guy it is really useful.

http://rovers.red90.ca/springinfo.html

It sounds like you have a lift set, as they should be about the same length fully extended as the softer ones. The only difference is they don't compress so fast when you lower the vehicle.

thanks all. Im glad that others agree with what im thinking. I'll have to try and get another set. I'll have a look and measure them too.

H

Hi

I am in the same boat with my 1988 110 CSW.

The self leveler is shot and sags with any load.

I have ordered two of these to stick on the back:

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/10319/RKB101111-COIL-SPRING-ROAD-REAR-HD.html

They are the progressive springs from the TD5 110. The were fitted to both the CSW and hard top.

The TD5 CSW did not have a self leveler so hopefully they will do the job.

Hi

I am in the same boat with my 1988 110 CSW.

The self leveler is shot and sags with any load.

I have ordered two of these to stick on the back:

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/10319/RKB101111-COIL-SPRING-ROAD-REAR-HD.html

They are the progressive springs from the TD5 110. The were fitted to both the CSW and hard top.

The TD5 CSW did not have a self leveler so hopefully they will do the job.

These are the ones I was intending to fit to mine, spec looks good for what I need.

Let us know what they're like when fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

So I have now fitted 2 x RKB101111 on the back of my 1988 110 CSW.

Results so far are good. Its a much better ride with less 'wallowing' in the corners.

I have left my self leveler in place and it does not seem to be causing any problems.

I have not tried towing with them yet but the look a lot firmer.

One thing it has done is given the 110 about a 2" lift at the back.

The old CSW models sat level but the hard tops and TD5 CSW are always higher at the back so this is to be expected.

Only thing now is I want to replace the front spings!

I don't have a winch or anything (yet) but might go with HD just to level out the 110.

What about 2 x NRC9448 (D110 Front HD) or 2x NRC9462 (D90 HD rear progressive)?

Does anyone know what normally goes on the front of a TD5 110 CSW?

I've just fitted the TD5 rear springs and they're a lot better. Before I had Britpart yellow standard height which were quite harsh. I also replaced the front Britparts with the Yellow/Yellow which are progressive also. So now I have the same spec as a 110 SW up to 2007. The front sits about half an inch lower and the back is an inch higher compared to the Britparts, giving the the forward leaning look.

As far as i'm aware for the front:

Standard Td5

Yellow/Yellow, NRC8045

HD Td5

Blue/Red NRC9448 or Yellow/White 9449

I don't think they were handed for the Td5 so it may be either of these, but if you fit them it will raise the front a bit and make the truck look level from the side.

These are the ones I was intending to fit to mine, spec looks good for what I need.

Let us know what they're like when fitted.

I have these (fitted for the same reason, and available cheap 2nd hand) on my 110CSW They have lifted it a little, but I doubt more than an inch,that might have been because the old ones had sagged. Comfy ride? All things are relative.... not too bad on the road anyway, not stupidly hard, and pleased to have a cost effective way of getting shot of the self leveller. Haven't put enormous weight in but it seems to settle only a little with a couple of people in. One thing though, some dampers are sold in different versions for Td5 rather than pre-td5. Don't know whether I should have got the later damper, or whether they just think td5 owners will have more money.

Nigel

Hi

Its ok to up rate the springs for heavy loads, but bear in mind the said load is only sitting on an alloy floor whose cross braces rot. I know my rear 86 110 floor is off at this time. Almost all the braces were rotten. :( Proper box section braces this time and maybe a heavier gauge for the floor. ;)

Just a thought mind.

I have these (fitted for the same reason, and available cheap 2nd hand) on my 110CSW They have lifted it a little, but I doubt more than an inch,that might have been because the old ones had sagged. Comfy ride? All things are relative.... not too bad on the road anyway, not stupidly hard, and pleased to have a cost effective way of getting shot of the self leveller. Haven't put enormous weight in but it seems to settle only a little with a couple of people in. One thing though, some dampers are sold in different versions for Td5 rather than pre-td5. Don't know whether I should have got the later damper, or whether they just think td5 owners will have more money.

Nigel

Hmm.. I had not really consider the dampers!

My rear dampers where replaced last year by the garage. Looking at the invoice its says part no: STC3771

After doing so digging:

STC3770 110 with self levelling suspension up to XA vin

STC3771 110 with normal duty non self levelling suspension up to XA vin

STC3772 110 with H/D suspension and 130 up to XA vin

RPM100080 110 and 130 from XA vin

Presumably the TD5 had RPM100080 and RKB101111 and no self leveling unit.

But I now have RKB101111 + STC3771 + a broken self leveling unit.

So this is where I get confused!

Anyone know if this setup is OK or will I run into problems with the dampers?