terrafirma big bore expedition shocks

ChrisW70

Put a pair of these on the back axle at the weekend, so far they feel like they're soaking the lumps and bumps up a bit better than the procomps they replaced... one thing that surprised me though was they were static on whatever length they were pushed or pulled to. My previous experiences with shocks are that they always extend to full length by themselves.

Can anyone else confirm they found the same with theirs or have I got a duff pair..?

Did seem odd that the boxes seemed to match the full length but they were fully compressed when taking out the box...

Thanks, I contacted All Makes this morning and they confirmed the same, no gas so they don't 'self expand'.

From what I remember the top mount is larger than standard with it's own supplied bush and sleeve, I don't think, without a major internet trawl, it would be easy to turn up a replacement bush. Will have to keep an eye on that then - why is it you can never 'fit and forget' something on these motors!

Is the eye breaking away just a terrafirma big bore problem, seen the same on another forum, im thinking about terrafirmma's but not big bore, do they suffer as well ??

Paul

I had some standard Terrafirmas fitted on a Defender I took to Libya once - gave them an absolute thrashing, and although they didn't last the trip out, they stayed intact. Had some fitted on the front of my Rangie in Capetown and they did well under a lighter load, and are still working fine, but I'll only fit Koni Heavy Trak of maybe OME in future as they totally work.

• 3 years later...

I replaced my pro comps with terrafirma big bore and old man emu HD springs. Plus super-pro bushes all round, ahem. Yes, expensive. The ride is completely different and totally worth the upgrade.

Hi Pedro, do you have any info on how you obtained the poly bushes for the big bore shocks? Are they the same for something else. I know this is an old post hit any advice you have would be great

Oops wrong topic somehow

Sorry Muddy, did I post in the wrong place? I'm new on here so wasn't 100% sure how and where to ask... Really want to find some polybushes ...,relieved to find other searching the same solution.. even if a few years ago!

Hi Pedro, do you have any info on how you obtained the poly bushes for the big bore shocks? Are they the same for something else. I know this is an old post hit any advice you have would be great

The superpro bushes where for the rest of the articulating bits i.e radius arms, not the bushes for the actual shocks themselves.

I'm just back from my 7800 kilometre desert trip (I'll write up the report this weekend) and my Bilsteins are still working great, and that's after a total of well over 150,000 kilometres since their install, at one point on the Mulan to Balgo the road was so badly corrugated that the rear brake line to the drivers side fractured and the shocks were too hot to hold but were still doing their job -- worth every dollar !

Thank you for your replies... As the actual suspension is ok we can't justify spending lots of pennies on replacing unfortunately! We will just have to go with replacing the rubber bushes and hoping they don't pop out whilst on the road as they need a big press to get them back in!