Brake pipe flaring kit

Boris113

Hello all!

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 90 at the moment and would quite like to change a few of the copper brake/clutch pipes.

I need to do at least 2 that are about 1.5m long and a couple of shorter ones, is it worth buying a cheapo flaring kit for £30 or so and having a go myself?

My local agricultural supplier said he has always used bluepoint or sykes kits but I doubt I shall use it enough to warrant shelling out that kind of money.

I'm happy bending and fitting pipes but have never tried to make them before, is it a black art or nice and easy?

Thank you, Harry

It's nice and easy, even with a cheapo kit, I think mine was <£20 and included a pipe cutter.

Took me two attempts to get a good flare the first time, and never looked back.

Has saved me and a mate a few times on a weekend when needing to replace a line - I always keep a stock of pipe and fittings, check what yours are, I think they will be metric, which is M10x1, and very standard :)

Hi

Have a look around and get what you can afford, it will pay for it's self in no time.

You should be able to buy brake pipeing in 20/25 ft lengths coiled up. Fittings can be bought also.

You can get hand pliers type pipe benders for the smaller bore pipe.

Just copy what you take off.

Use the old pipe to practise on.

ps, don't forget to put the fittings on and around the correct way before you make the second flare. :blink:

Thanks everyone, There seem to be a few sykes/bluepoint kits on ebay atm so I will pick one up soon.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I have a 1989 90 with discovery 300tdi axles/brakes.

Most of the fittings seem to be 11mm, would this mean that a metric kit will be fine or may i need imperial considering it's age?

Harry

I think that spending a little more and getting a decent one is worthwhile. I've had a few cheap ones that you clamp in a vice - but since I bought a Sykes hand held, hydraulic tool it has made all the difference. It makes flares that look like they've been done by someone who knows what they're doing!

Si

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

I'll keep my eyes open for a good quality one for metric ends

Harry

:) Just bought a brake flaring tool from Vehicle Wiring Products. Strange place to buy this sort of thing but I have dealt with them before with no problems. With this type of flaring tool you can make new flares in situ if nessesary. Plus there are only two bits to this so things shouldnt get lost as has happened to my last kit. Treat youre self to a pipe cutter as well, I certainly cant cut straight standing up so for cutting under trucks its nearly garanteed to be straight. Got to sort my front brakes, discs and calipers next long weekend. Will not be able to drive late September for some :( time so its a mad rush to get things done before the tug is layed up.

Oh, and always put a dab of copper grease between the copper pipe and the steel fitting before you tighten up - that way you won't have to replace the pipe in 5 years time when replacing the flexipipes!

G.

Another vote for SP.

I had a cheapo one but couldn't get a good flare, so I bought a mid range one which worked well normally but was a pig to use under the car, so then I got an SP hydraulic one and it's a dream! I have never yet produced anything except a perfect flare with that tool even when used in some very tight spaces :)

Another vote for the SP flaremaster.

They've brought out the Flaremaster 2 now which has replacable clamps and capacity to do bigger tubes (6mm)too which looks useful for clutch hydraulics?

Shame the original Flaremaster can't be upgraded like this. Very nice tool for std brakelines though.

Another vote for the SP flaremaster.

They've brought out the Flaremaster 2 now which has replacable clamps and capacity to do bigger tubes (6mm)too which looks useful for clutch hydraulics?

Shame the original Flaremaster can't be upgraded like this. Very nice tool for std brakelines though.

Yes, i have the flaremaster 2, and it was a great help on some Unimog pipes recently, they were close to 6mm, re-used the fittings, as usual it was Sunday evening, and needed to get the motor running....

The full set is expensive, and perhaps not worth it if you only doing car type work.... Pays ya money ...............