Rescued by my shoelaces

Driving home on a motorway after a weekend's mountain biking in wales and the fan belt let go, pulled over on hardshoulder, removed shoe laces from trainers and tied round the crank, waterpump and alternator pulleys. Re-started and everything worked ok, pulled off at next junction found a Halfords.

The question is, did you put them back in your trainers after! ;)

nah-sadly I had to cut them down in length. I had tried normal cotton string first but it shredded itself so had to resort to the laces.

My Renault Clio Cup driving passenger was completely bemused by the whole episode and I think by Landrovers in general after the weekend.

:hysterical: brilliant... and who said only mini's had adventures!

funnily enough we'd done Llangdegla on the sunday, driven over and camped in Betws-Y-Coed on the monday for the Marin trail and then set off home. I reckon its summat in the air at Llangdegla that eats fan belts.

For once Halfords came up trumps as well-Chester LR main dealers wanted £10.58 for a fan belt and would have it in for tomorrow-

"do you see the 110 parked on double yellows outside?" "do you see my shoes are hanging off my feet and I look like a tramp with no laces?" "thats because my trainers from TKMaxx cost less than one of your fanbelts and hence why they're now powering my waterpump and is why I need it today-not tomorrow"

£3.95 from Halfords.

funnily enough we'd done Llangdegla on the sunday, driven over and camped in Betws-Y-Coed on the monday for the Marin trail and then set off home. I reckon its summat in the air at Llangdegla that eats fan belts.

Ha it must be by the sound of it! Cracking routes at Llandegla, I did my Mountain Bike Trail Leadership Award there. Cracking Cafe aswel!

Back in 1991 when I was running a Ford York 6 pot diesel I lost the fan belt in on the A5 in North Wales near Betws-y-Coed.

I stopped at the Shell garage there and bought an emergency fanbelt, one of those red things that you cut and plug back together. By the time I got to Capel Curig, 5 miles up the road, at lunch time the emergency belt had come off and taken out my timing belt in the process.

By 3pm an AA van turned up with a fan belt for a 2286cc diesel despite my telling the AA that it needed a tow as the timing belt was gone and the valves bent.

By 11.30pm an RAC lorry turned up to take me to the AA depot in Birmingham for the ride back to London.

Shoe laces are better then emergency fan belts I guess. :rolleyes:

I once rebuilt an indicator stalk using the spring from a ballpoint pen and a pat of Motorway service butter for contacts (the tin foil) and grease. This was done at Strensham services in temperatures way below zero at 3am in the morning. Jioned the AA not long after that....