Overdrive for a D110 with a 2.8 TGV and 33 inch tires?

The question is for those with experience using a Roverdrive overdrive (the mechanical Canadian units) in a D110.

Will the overdrive work well in a D110 with 33 inch tires on long trips along flat roads or will it be overgeared?

My engine is a slightly tuned 2.8TGV engine.

I currently run 1.22:1 Discovery gears in my transfer box with 32 inch tires (265/75/16) and it is sort of OK but I will need to use my truck in the mountains more in the future and the gearing is "too long" for that kind of terrain. I will therefore go back to the original Defender gears and probably install an overdrive for long journies on flat roads but the question is: can I go to 33 inch tires (285/75/16) or will it be too much for when using the overdrive?

Your opinions will be much appreciated.

Cheers

SANTIAGO

With a 1.22 transfer box & the overdrive I reckon it'll be way over geared,

my 110 runs 255/85 tyres & the standard 1.41 TB & a GKN overdrive it works fine on all roads, doubt you'd get into OD on mountain climbs, never even thought about engaging OD in mine while climbing big hills.

With a 1.22 transfer box & the overdrive I reckon it'll be way over geared,

my 110 runs 255/85 tyres & the standard 1.41 TB & a GKN overdrive it works fine on all roads, doubt you'd get into OD on mountain climbs, never even thought about engaging OD in mine while climbing big hills.

Hi wetsern

Thanks for the reply, However there is some confusion:

a) I am planning on going back to my Defender transfer gear ratio (1.4 to 1) and installing an overdrive while changing to 33 inch tires.

b) I am not planning on using the overdrive while going up the mountains. I am planning on using it while driving on the flats.

Overall I will eventually end up with a similar situation as you have (33 inch tires, 1.4 to 1 transfer ratio and overdrive).

Do you use overdrive often while on the road? Can you hold it for long intervals?

Thaks

Stgo

A Roverdrive gives a 28% gearing increase, while the 1.22 LT230 is geared roughly 15% taller than the standard 1.4 ratio unit. Of course, the beauty of an overdrive is that it is selectable, so if you find it overgeared on shallow climbs with those tyres, you can de-select it and just use it for flat or shallow descents. As mentioned, it will also work well as a gear splitter, giving you a higher 4th gear when 5th is just a little too tall (and the same for other gears too). The Roverdrive is a very robust unit; just make sure you keep the transfer oil level correct and replace the oil on schedule and it'll serve you well.

2.8TGV, 33's and an overdrive...

http://www.ep90.com/index.php?id=70

http://www.ep90.com/index.php?id=88

I believe the remains of the OD are now in the back of the shed :mellow:

Thanks. However after reading the story it is not clear to me that he was using 33 inch tires after installing the OD.

The other thing is the unit was a GKN. I have heard many bad comments about the GKN's performance.

Thanks Snagger, the Roverdrive is certainly appealing. A bit expensive though.

If Ralph has a 200Tdi I guess my 2.8 TGV (VNT) should be able to manage the OD.

Perhaps he has tweaked it quite a bit. I seem to recall that from another post.

no tweaks on my engine. it's standard as LR built it.

I believe the remains of the OD are now in the back of the shed :mellow:

... in a bucket :hysterical:

Yes I was running 33s. I've never run anything smaller than 265/75, but any pic you see with Mach5s it was running 285/75R16 BFG MT.

I could smoke the (130/HD) clutch going uphill at 80mph with the OD in. Then I tore the centre out of it.

Broke the output shaft on the first R380, knackered a couple more since.

Eventually the OD was sticking between engaged and not, so if you shifted it hit a false neutral with no way back.

I have a 1.22 box instead now. I much prefer the OD, but it wasn't worth the hassle. I can still tow a loaded trailer without issue, so it's good enough.

Occasionally tempted by the Roverdrive, but I'm not doing 110 miles a day in it anymore, so CBA to fit one, to be honest.

Hi Santiago

Have a Rover drive fitted to my 110 Td5 hard top for about a year now and can`t fault it run 265/75/16

In every day driveing leave it in high all the time only use low when starting of with the trailer and reversing

I do tow a trailer with my 90 on it and still use the overdrive when in slower moving trafice just change into 4th over drive same gearing as 5th no overdrive

Had though about fitting a discovery transfare box but Td5 are very high geared in first and since the 110 was bought for towing went for the overdrive

Santiago, Gus, in LRTT from Spain have a TD5 with GKN unit and believe he have 285/75 R16. TD5 is 180hp Stage 2 unit, he usually goes 160kph in freeway, I think no issue at this time...

Thanks Carlos. I have never checked the forum from Spain, perhaps I should.

Saludos

Hi Santiago Have a Rover drive fitted to my 110 Td5 hard top for about a year now and can`t fault it run 265/75/16 In every day driveing leave it in high all the time only use low when starting of with the trailer and reversing I do tow a trailer with my 90 on it and still use the overdrive when in slower moving trafice just change into 4th over drive same gearing as 5th no overdrive Had though about fitting a discovery transfare box but Td5 are very high geared in first and since the 110 was bought for towing went for the overdrive

Thanks RTF. Isn´t he Td5 geared the same as the Tdi? At least mine is. I wouldn´t say it is high geared. Well now it is because of the Disco transfer box....

Cheers,

Stgo

I run a 110 with a 2.8 TGV standard R380 and a Roverdrive O/D.

Took me to Morocco and back last year heavily laden without fault.

I have an AP Racing H/D clutch fitted as the standard H/D clutch slipped on hills in O/D if extra power was required without changing down. The TGV has the torque to deliver this but the clutch was not man enough, hence the change.

My roverdrive has done 23000 miles so far without fault.

I have fitted a roverdrive transfer box cooler plate which increases oil capacity by 1 litre, a very worthwhile mod to help keep transfer and O/D temps under control.

John

I run a 110 with a 2.8 TGV standard R380 and a Roverdrive O/D. Took me to Morocco and back last year heavily laden without fault. I have an AP Racing H/D clutch fitted as the standard H/D clutch slipped on hills in O/D if extra power was required without changing down. The TGV has the torque to deliver this but the clutch was not man enough, hence the change. My roverdrive has done 23000 miles so far without fault. I have fitted a roverdrive transfer box cooler plate which increases oil capacity by 1 litre, a very worthwhile mod to help keep transfer and O/D temps under control. John

Excellent John, sounds like you have made a very good investment in the OD.

I would like to know which tires you have: 265/75/16?

It is interesting I had the same problem with my original clutch after installing the Disco transfer ratio and therefore I am about to install a new HD AP Racing clutch, what a coincidence. I am glad it sounds like your AP Racing clutch is doing fine.

Last question: did you notice any decrease in performance after installing the Roverdrive OD? I heard the vehicle's reaction is slower because it has to move more gears (the OD gears). Is this correct or just bull****?

Cheers,

Stgo