Getting the Horn....

Like many other Defender owners I am constantly embarrassed by the pathetic squeak that issues from the so-called horn and would like to improve matters. Aside from the option of a large chromed set of air horns in lorry stylee bolted to the rack, are there any other 'preferred' choices or sources of a good set of horns!

I had similar issues with the weedy horn. I fitted a simple air horn under the bonnet. It cost around £10 from a local motor factor place. It included the relay, pump and horn. It's much more effective.

I've heard of a chap who fitted a long lorry-type air horn down the inside of one of the front wings. Apparently it was mighty impressive.

The ones fitted to new Defenders give a good baaaarp - have you tried those? - there is a "high note" and a "low note" and they are "horn shaped" (i.e. a sort of wound-up trumpet with an open end) rather than the round disc-type ones found on older vehicles which are a bit "Datsun" :lol:

There are 2 different pairs of part numbers (one for high and one for low note, then the old sort and the new sort of each) and I can't remember any of them at the mo :rolleyes: but the difference is whether or not they have ordinary spade terminals on, the very newest type (for Td5 aged vehicles) have a multi-plug electrical fitting but you don't want those as then you need the plug too :)

I played with air horns when I were young and foolish but I found as soon as they got water in they started to sound like somebody shouting with their head underwater in a toilet bowl i.e. a not very effective strangled gurgly noise for a short time, and then stops altogether :lol:

I bought some new horns last year IIRC made by Wipac part numbers S5786 high note & S5787 low note, about £10.87 inc vat each, just checked they have Mixo moulded into the body, much better than the standard LR horns.

near top right in this pic

electrical2.jpg

closer view

WipacMixohorn.jpg

If you want I can get a pair from CED & post them over.

Edited by western

The current arrangement features two seperate horns behind the front bumper so as you can imagine they cop all the wet stuff. I have tried cleaning the terminals to no avail. Thanks for the offer Ralph, I may take you up on that.

Strange the horns are behind the front bumper, they should be hanging from the left end of the bonnet slam panel, behind the grille & in front of the intercooler, I've moved mine to the right hand end to clear the intercooler's front face.

just let me know if/when you want new ones & I'll get it sorted :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by western

The current arrangement features two seperate horns behind the front bumper so as you can imagine they cop all the wet stuff. I have tried cleaning the terminals to no avail. Thanks for the offer Ralph, I may take you up on that.

I'm not sure if its relevent but with aircon perhaps the horns have to be positioned lower down.

I'm not sure if its relevent but with aircon perhaps the horns have to be positioned lower down.

Could be the reason, seems the likeliest answer, but in with the side/indicator lights would have been better, just looked in EPC it shows a single high note horn but not where it's fitted on air con fitted vehicles.

139db

Erm

Kin hell

That should gain "attention"

..........got a url linky ?

Nige

I got mine from eblag from this chap Nautilus Air Horn on eblag

£19.99 delivered. (if no-one bids agains you)

The Stebel site quotes 139dB at 4 inches from the source and 115dB at 2 meters from the source. It weighs 600grms (just incase weight is an issue! :D )

other sites selling them speeding.co.uk and twistedthrottle.com or Stebels own site for info (caution - horrid music when loading)

I've just order a Nautilus Twin Tone Air Horn (139dB) for the Defender, compact but packs a heck of a punch! :D

I have one of those but found it quite disappointing. The vehicle now sports a pair of ex fire engine two tone airhorns with the two tone valve disc removed so both horns sound at the same time ....they're much more effective :D