Why do I bother ?

I fitted a Disco rear axle for better brakes after reconditioning it.

I had to buy two new Terrafirma shocks thanks to the previous owner cross threading one of them leading to shearing of the threaded spindle on one of them.

I fitted a new adjustable A frame ball joint - and yes, the old one was a bitch to get out.

Made up and fitted new rear brake pipes.

Once that was done, I was turning the Landrover around and the steering drop arm ball joint shears ( see my other post ) - 5 hours to change yesterday !

I put the finishing touches to it this morning, did a safety check, greased the prop shafts and steering arms etc then took it out for a test drive.

And then the clutch starts slipping ...............................

I find they tend to go through periods of uptime and downtime. At the moment mine is behaving itself, got an annoying rattle/knock in the door frame that I can't seem to eradicate but that's about it. Maybe it knows it's being treated to a load of work next week so is waiting until then to throw up more issues.

It's all part of the fun, or that's what I tell myself when I find myself under the thing on another weekend!

"I started a brief tidy up of body cappings and am now into a full rear tub rebuild!"

I hear that. Alternator light turned out to be an engine re-build with another block. I'd say it was a landrover thing, but I think 'Old vehicle' thing would be more accurate.

Well, I've chilled out a bit now.

I do realise half the fun is keeping them going - although it would be nice to drive it for a while instead of crawling around underneath it.

Anyhoo - what would be a rough price for having a clutch fitted ?

I'm capable of doing it myself, but time is a bit of a premium at the moment - that said, if it's too expensive I will do it myself.

Its not that bad to do , easier than most modern front wheel drive cars now , is it oil contamination on plate ?? or just worn plate. I can give you an auto data quote tomorrow if you want (its what most garages use) and just multiply by their hourly rate , varies from £40 to £80 / hour round here ,,

Its not that bad to do , easier than most modern front wheel drive cars now , is it oil contamination on plate ?? or just worn plate. I can give you an auto data quote tomorrow if you want (its what most garages use) and just multiply by their hourly rate , varies from £40 to £80 / hour round here ,,

Hi Lee

It never slipped before it was laid up for a little while, so I'm guessing oil contamination - a quote would be great please - Thanks

£200 all in is a fair price

Add VAT on top if need

Thanks - would that be using quality parts ? VAT would have to be added - unfortunately !

I priced a Valeo 130 clutch and heavy duty arm for £115 - does anyone know if that can be beaten ?