12V ceramic strip heaters for demisting

One of the American chaps on the vessel I am currently working on mentioned something that sounded interesting. Wondering if anyone here as done this?

He purchased two ceramic strip heaters (not something I've heard of) and bolted them inside the ducts just below where they push air up the windscreen (i.e they were out of view but directly below the duct opening which he said demisted his windscreen very quickly. This seems like a different approach rather than those in car heater units that you stick on your dash or whatever.

I've had a quick browse and the only things I can see that barely resemble what he describes are 120V/240V (http://www.omega.co.uk/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=FSH_Heater&Nav=heac01). Any ideas??

I like the idea.....Note I am only interested in something that will rapidly demist my windscreen, NOT heat the whole cab.

Just fit a heated screen, much more simple and thoroughly effective.

I have had them for over 8-years and find them ideal for everything from slight misting to heavy ice / snow and in most situations you only need the screen on for a couple of minutes to clear it.

Aaah I guess that's a sensible option. How visible are the "wires" in the screen. I've heard that newer types in cars are barely visibly at all but if its anything like my heated rear screen in the citroen I'm not sure I'd like the distraction.

Any ideas about the retrofittiing the connections at the windscreen end....i.e I am comfortable with installing new circuits/relays/fuses etc but how exactly do the wires connect to the screen? Can I just run the wires along the top of the dash and plug them in or are structural mods required?

Thanks for the suggestion

They are not very visible at all for normal driving. Nothing like the rear window demisters.

They are very fine (hair thin) wires embedded within the construction of th escreen itself.

You should be able to retrofit wiring, although the use of a timer relay is advised as they

draw quite a significant current.

I agree that heated screens have proven effectiveness, but at a cost, both to buy and install.

12 volt Ceramic heaters are available from Maplins, and are currently on offer until tomorrow (1/11/2011).

You will need some work to dismantle them to place the element in the ducting, and I wouldn't power even one via the cigarette lighter socket, but at ~£10 or even £15 a throw they might be worth a gamble.

It's worth reading the Questions, the rating is apparently 150W.

HTH

Why is there a picture of an IMP here ?

Look close at the screen on the drivers side. You can see that strip. That was a heater made from a length of electric fire heater wire. I can't remember the length but I pulled the wire nearly straight and used that attatched to a lenght of ally sheet. I think the thing was about 18" long. Yes it worke. The rally car han no heating of any sort so I worked that one.

img015ei.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Epic photo!!

Regarding the wiring going to a heated screen, not the actual elements in the screen, if I retro fit which I will have to (1997 MY) how do the wires connect to the screen and where?

Regarding the Maplins heater - I hadn't considered taking them apart and modding the internals to fit in my ducts - couold be an idea there!

Can't see any reason why you can't get a heated screen fitted on your windscreen insurance. I bought my first one and have subsequently had it replaced several times using my cover (£50 excess) but speaking to the fitters they say they will just replace a normal one for a heated one if asked to do it when they order the screen, you haven't got anything to loose by asking them.

Wiring isn't an issue but it depends on the screen and how you want to wire it in.

Most have three connecters, a single earth in the centre and two live on the outer edges and while one of my screens had all connectors along the top all the others have had them at the bottom. Current draw is about 15A a side so make sure all cabling, fusing & switching is rated accordingly. Mine is manually switched however you can use a timer relay and also set it up so it will only operate when the engine is running (to prevent accidenttal drain of the battery).

I have my heated screen wired through two timer relays. One for each side of the screen. A spring loaded switch ativates the relays which allows the screen to run for about 15 min which is more then enough to clean the screen. Wired through ignition it switches off with ign off.

Glad you like the photo. Taken in 1980 where we lost the 1300cc championship because of a broken alternator. Kaydil Mill if the spelling is correct.

Cheers folks,

I'm comfortable with installing suitable circuits/wiring/relays etc. What precisely is the connector for the three wires coming out of the screen - presumably they come have to come out of the glass before the seal? Are they just bare ends? At 15A per side they must be fairly considerable.

The connections on mine are three 0.25in spade connectors (all male, IIRC - but I'm in Beijing right now so can't check). They are on the ends of conductors which are made from a flat core of flexible copper strip encased in two layers of Mylar film, so they can bend round between the edge of the glass and the rubber seal. The ends are then presented inside the seal, just below the the top of the dashboard when the glass is fitted.

I'm intending to fit mine in the next two or three weeks, ready for the winter, so I'll try to take some pictures and create an installation thread when I do.

Nick.

I find on my 90 no problem with keeping the windscreen clear with the standard demister but the side windows are another thing!

I usually drive round with the side window open a little to try and keep it clear.

If you have too much money http://www.defenderdemister.com/

I'd consider fitting them if they were a sensible price!

They're a lot cheaper than the DefenderVENT that MudUK sell (£133). You could probably get the genuine military side demister kit of parts for less, but it would involve dismantling the dash.

Or, if you do happen to have the dashboard open like I did last week, make your own version with a couple of lengths of 25mm conduit :)

post-10578-0-11003800-1320169924_thumb.jpg

post-10578-0-53377100-1320170080_thumb.jpg

Need to finish off by fitting the closing caps I have, but the airflow is really good :)

I find on my 90 no problem with keeping the windscreen clear with the standard demister but the side windows are another thing!

I usually drive round with the side window open a little to try and keep it clear.

It's not when driving that is the problem as with the engine up to temp and the heater chucking out heat my vehicle never suffers misted up windows however starting on a cold & frosty day is a different matter. With a heated screen fitted you can start up the vehicle and be underway with 100% vision in about 2-minutes, the time it takes to clear even the most frosted up screen is just enough to clear the side windows. (don't have a rear one on my soft-top).

They're a lot cheaper than the DefenderVENT that MudUK sell (£133). You could probably get the genuine military side demister kit of parts for less, but it would involve dismantling the dash.

Or, if you do happen to have the dashboard open like I did last week, make your own version with a couple of lengths of 25mm conduit :)

post-10578-0-11003800-1320169924_thumb.jpg

post-10578-0-53377100-1320170080_thumb.jpg

Need to finish off by fitting the closing caps I have, but the airflow is really good :)

James,

You are a hero! I have just fitted a heated windscreen (not wired up yet) as part of my 90 build, I loved the mudstuff kit but a bit spendy at the moment. Will see if I can find some suitable louvers for the side vents in the meantime and copy your idea. :) .

Cheers

Grant

James,

You are a hero! I have just fitted a heated windscreen (not wired up yet) as part of my 90 build, I loved the mudstuff kit but a bit spendy at the moment. Will see if I can find some suitable louvers for the side vents in the meantime and copy your idea. :) .

Cheers

Grant

Finished mine today, pics are here along with a small write-up :)

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/2011/11/defender-side-window-demisters/

Just out of curiosity where and for roughly what price are people getting their heated windscreens? I've been thinking about fitting one to my '94 110 for a while.

The seals are beginning to perish around edges and someone threw something out of a Saxo on the M4 about a month ago and has put a sizeable chip into the driver's viewing area (I think it's just below the 10mm diameter but will ask the guys at Challenger to have a nosey tomorrow when I drop it off). So with that chip and the seals and wanting some decent demist (although my heater's not too bad at demisting), and the fact I have a decently paid job now means that it's even more on the table than before.

"Just out of curiosity where and for roughly what price are people getting their heated windscreens? I've been thinking about fitting one to my '94 110 for a while."

As per my earlier post, some windscreen companies will replace a standard screen for heated on your windscreen cover if you ask them up front and all you have to pay is the £50 excess. Has to be worth asking them first and as you already have a chip surely you will be contacting them won't you?

When you have a new screen fitted you usually have to to supply your own seal (unless you want them to use the old one) but I have had several BP ones for years now without any leaking or splitting issues so buy with confidence.

Wow...turned into a really interesting and handy thread this! Thanks everyone.....I hadn't even bothered to think of a solution for the side windows!

Finished mine today, pics are here along with a small write-up :)

http://www.retroanac...ndow-demisters/

Thanks for sharing this - cheap and relatively simple!

If you have too much money http://www.defenderdemister.com/

I'd consider fitting them if they were a sensible price!

Crazy price!!! I slightly wonder whether they may also reduce the demisting ability of the main windscreen having these installed!?