Just an idea I've got

Lying in my garden is transfer box/R380/Bellhousing and overdrive (don't ask......), now I have this weird compunction to convert my 110 V8 to a slush box next year (arthur and his best mate ritis are getting worse in my left leg) and I was wondereing...

Now some of the old RR ran an auto box and overdrive, could I fix a GKN overdrive to an auto box and make it work?

I reckon it would have to be engaged all the time as the auto will always want to turn the OP shaft at the back of the box, even in neutral , so not really viable imo.

Why not use a 1:1.003 T-box with the auto as used on auto RRC's?

cheers

Steveb

Cant really see the point of fitting o/d as you would just leave it in high all the time , as the auto box would shift using the load on the output of the auto box . so if you shifted out of o/d the box would just change up to counteract etc. and vice versa .

You would be better off just fitting a higher geared transfer box , or taller tyres .

The only plus point would be that you could get into TC lock up a bit earlier (road speed wise) than with a fixed transfer ratio. I am taking it that the o/d is an epicyclic electric operated unit , as otherwise unloading torque for long enough to shift might cause problems . HTSH JMHO

Theres a french company that makes a servo kit for the land rover isnt there? I seem to remember seeing a Youtube advert from them posted on here ages ago.

Edit (found the link):

As above, UK enquiries to TD5 alive according to the link.

I used to have a servo clutch on my 110 based on one of those Lockheed units (sourced from a scrap yard though).

It was hard to bleed but once it was working, you could genuinely press the clutch with your little finger!

I was commuting to work, spending several hours in stop-start traffic which made my left leg hurt. The original clutch (1986 NA Diesel) was very heavy. With the servo, it was great!

Si

You can't use an overdrive in any gear, they won't take the torque when you're in 1st/2nd/3rd.

Roverdrive would be ok, but it sounds like the OP has a GKN. On a normal manual gearbox, the GKN shouldnt be used in 1st or 2nd. I use mine in third upwards. I'm guessing the ratios are different in an auto, so even if the OD works with that combination, it may only be ok to use in top gear perhaps.

• 3 weeks later...

i thought sbout remote servoing the clutch on brian, as i had to put a HD cover on him to avoid slip when towing. got very heavy in traffic, so u just drove him without touching the clutch pedal, never cruched a gear either. just have to not stop i.e. slow right down a bit further back and roll in tickover 1st, usually set off again before you need to stop