Yet another Ebay bargain.........

panels and things i suppose they cant prove legit or stolen but engines,axles,bulkheads etc obviously they can,but if they stop a l/r 90 with some later panels or doors on it gives them reason to look deeper,then say its got disc brake rear axle upgrade and tdi engine there going to think hang on a minute lets get this in for a closer look,its there job and what there paid to do to find stolen parts/cars

the bottom line is its a scare tactic derbyshire police have started useing and to be fair it seems to be working and i can see other police forces doing the same soon,as for how long they can keep them for ...as long as it takes to prove there legit or stolen,some times there satisfied at the road side sometimes not,1 mate they had his for 2 week just because the tag in the windscreen on his 300tdi was missing (all other no.s present),another mate they had his for 1 month cos it was a D reg rebuilt with disco 300tdi engine and rear axle,they had to satisfy themselves the engine & axle was legit,there has been a good few that never got them back too

Did MickeyW set up this course for Derbyshire Constabulary? ;-)

Seriously though, nice to see some front-line education and pro-active policing for a change – I have friends who work for Avon and Somerset who would I’m sure be very glad to receive that kind of training, rather than endless ‘Diversity Awareness courses’ (They don’t care what race or religion thieving scum are, they will treat them with equal contempt).

Anyway, I suspect a lot of people on here don’t give a fiddler’s frat about authenticity – myself included Part of the very appeal of a 90/110/Defender is that they are giant mecanno sets that can have later parts/upgrades bolted on without recourse to major fiddling.

If my truck ever gets finished, it will be a real mess of different bits, hopefully all the body panels will be vaguely matched in colour – and it will be unique to me. I don’t plan on selling it, but if I ever do, I hope I might break even with current Defender prices, but I probably won’t. But whoever buys it will be aware that they are not getting a base-spec vehicle.

If you want a legitimate, custom-build on the basis of a ‘correct’ aged Defender, there are plenty of companies around that will do it for you. Just be prepared to spend £25k+ doing it! Or, buy a £1k project/shed and do it yourself.

Oh yes, and Derbyshire police are very welcome to read my build thread and wade through my boxof receipts for stuff, but not at the roadside – they can follow me home ;-)

doesnt work like that mate,if there not satisfied at the roadside you have to take it and reciepts etc to the headquarters,if you cant prove who you are or they are convinced its not right they take it there and then

doesnt work like that mate,if there not satisfied at the roadside you have to take it and reciepts etc to the headquarters,if you cant prove who you are or they are convinced its not right they take it there and then

Agreed, was being slightly tongue-in-cheek suggesting they follow me home from Derbyshire to Bristol. :blink:

It's really good to hear about such proactive policing, but also quite scary if you haven't got receipts for absolutely everything that is 'non standard' on your truck :(

Best thing to do is not to give them a reason to pull you over - in these days of ANPR there's really no such thing as a random check anymore.

Have current tax, MOT, insurance, all going to the same address. Make sure the colour, VIN and engine no fitted and what's on the V5 match. And make sure the ASKMID database matches reality.

And make sure you're au fait with the trailer regs if you don't have B+E on your licence! :offtopic:

heres one of the newspaper reports http://www.thestar.c...n_4x4s_1_315462 like i say its been succesfull in derbyshire so dont think it will be long untill other police forces start doing the same,this was just a 2 day operation but there still pulling landrovers all the time

heres another from back in 2010 http://www.chesterfieldpost.co.uk/public_services/police_news/police_00000060.html

My 90 was rebuilt and modified whilst in bits to make it more user friendly rather than the corroded henhouse on wheels it was when I bought it naively, is that a crime if it’s all done to the letter of the law?

Its surely good news if the police are actively pursuing vehicles that maybe suspicious. :mellow:

your missing the point,im not saying its a crime to rebuild a landrover,im not sayeing its a crime to source parts to rebuild a landrover,im not sayeing its a crime to have parts that dont match the age off your landrover,all im saying is in derbyshire the police are actively searching for stolen landrovers/parts,there stopping landrovers and going over them with a fine toothcombe,my point is just to make sure you know all the parts arent stolen and even better if you can prove there not stolen it could save you a lot of hassle and prevent your landrover being confiscated

your missing the point,im not saying its a crime to rebuild a landrover,im not sayeing its a crime to source parts to rebuild a landrover,im not sayeing its a crime to have parts that dont match the age off your landrover,all im saying is in derbyshire the police are actively searching for stolen landrover parts,there stopping landrovers and going over them with a fine toothcombe,my point is just to make sure you know all the parts arent stolen and even better if you can prove there not stolen it could save you a lot of hassle and prevent your landrover being confiscated

Thank you I missed the point.

its got me worried now :unsure:

Cheers

J

Bit OTT though isnt it?? Good to see proactive policing, but if you cant prove every little detail to their satisfaction, they impound the truck and take it from you? What happened till innocent till proven guilty....this is rather the otherway round. As said several times, many of our vehicles are made up of different parts and i bet we dont have receipts for all of them.

its not everylittle detail,but if things dont look right they'll want to have a closer look,i.e check the no.s ect that theyve not been tampered with,thats when it gets taken off you and you dont get it back untill they happy its legit

this is whats going off in derbyshire im just trying to pass info on to hopefully save other people a big headache,obviously the police are trying to stop people buying dodgy parts,at least there actively trying to do something about the riseing problem of l/r thefts

Well, I was referencing the witch in the sketch, as she reminded me of a modified Landrover that was proven to be a witch via the fact that it floated in water / like a duck, because ducks float right. Either way it was a good metaphor for this whole thread. I guess you have to watch the clip.

I thought it was funny, and this thread needed a little of this.

its not everylittle detail,but if things dont look right they'll want to have a closer look,i.e check the no.s ect that theyve not been tampered with,thats when it gets taken off you and you dont get it back untill they happy its legit

this is whats going off in derbyshire im just trying to pass info on to hopefully save other people a big headache,obviously the police are trying to stop people buying dodgy parts,at least there actively trying to do something about the riseing problem of l/r thefts

I get what you are saying, it's basically that you may get stopped if your Land Rover has features that are not appropriate for it's model year. Once stopped they'll check the usual numbers, chassis, engine, axles, g/t boxes. If there are issues with those numbers, ie stolen or tampered with or not matching V5 for chassis or engine numbers they will want more information/proof of ownership and in some cases your vehicle will be taken.

All makes sense really, I guess people don't like being stopped when going about their normal business.... but if it was their pride and joy that had been nicked they'd think differently.

Although personally I think I might be tempted to put the correct badges back on mine now

reasonable suspicion i think is what we are looking at here. derbyshire like west yorkshire (calderdale) have lots of hilly areas with farmers/enthusiasts/nutters with landrovers which go walkabout. so when they see a potential tealeaf behind a wheel they pull it over. However, ever since the SPG and their use of SUS laws obvious crims in stripey shirts, eye masks and swag bags over the shoulder cannot be pulled just cos thats too easy. Instead the police have to be very creative and find just reasons to stop the scum that cannot fall over with human rights legisaltion in court never mind the scumbag had nicked the defender.......minor detail. hence they get really clever and anorak wearing "i became aware that the vehicle had 2010 rear view mirror which for a series 3 was very strange upon stopping the gentleman i found a non standard cup holder and asked him to accompany me to the station at which point scumbag legged it......."

good on derbyshire but dont drive thru in a stripey shirt with womans tights on your head cos they will start asking about the carpets weave in your truck

I get what you are saying, it's basically that you may get stopped if your Land Rover has features that are not appropriate for it's model year. Once stopped they'll check the usual numbers, chassis, engine, axles, g/t boxes. If there are issues with those numbers, ie stolen or tampered with or not matching V5 for chassis or engine numbers they will want more information/proof of ownership and in some cases your vehicle will be taken.

All makes sense really, I guess people don't like being stopped when going about their normal business.... but if it was their pride and joy that had been nicked they'd think differently.

Although personally I think I might be tempted to put the correct badges back on mine now

sometimes im not very good at writing posts and i know a post can be read a hundred different ways but yes youve about summed it up,obviously the police arent haveing much luck catching the thieves so ther targeting people buying the parts,by stopping as many people as they can and causing them inconviniance,when your down the pub talking to your mate whos telling you the police have had his landrover for a week cos they think somethings not right you think to yourself bloody hell i dont want that to happen to me,i'd best make sure everythings right on mine and makes you think twice about where you source parts from in the future,and its all the more reason for the police to pull you over for (what we the landrover community think) silly details.

its shock tactics designed to inconvieniance you which in theory should make people think about where there sourcing parts,if they find a couple of ringers or stolen parts it gets the police a bit of intel for the database to help them,

a thief whos struggling to sell on stolen parts isnt going to be so willing to go out and steal another one

i think it looks an ideal base project and as long as the numbers match up and arent tampered with and the v5's present,and,all the parts are reliably sourced it would probably some day make a good landy,but im just a fellow landy owner and not a copper

Gents, (Anorak on)That is a range rover chassis cut down to 88" you can see the plate that is welded on the outside of the chassis rail, and you can also see the bulkhead outrigger has been bodged on too as well as the body mountings-why he has it advertised as a 90 is beyond me, also the part of the chassis where the A frame fits onto is not what I would say Is a 90 chassis part (Anorak off :blush: )

:hysterical: :hysterical: