Workshop tool storage

Evening all, and a Merry Christmas.

My workshop is currently being renovated from a stone pile about to fall down, into something a little more useful. A very solid concrete floor has recently gone in, along with 3 phase, heating and painted walls!

Now my attention is turning to how to store my tools. I'm going to build a cupboard in which I'll keep the not so frequently used tools, this isn't a problem. I'm struggling with ideas on how to store the frequently used ones - namely spanners, sockets + bits, screwdrivers, pliers, cutters. They should be easy to reach, easy to see and identify, and easy to spot when they're missing.

So far, the only solution I've found is a shadow board. These irk me somewhat as driving a few nails into a bit of ply I don't think looks too good, and they inevitably fall out eventually.

So questions:

1. How can I create a shadow board that looks good and is robust?

1.5: How can I wall mount a grinder?

2. Any other storage solutions?

I have the Halfords Industrial tool chests, one of each size. Really like them, certainly has tidied up my garage a bit...but they work best on level and even floors! I put things like grinders, drills, dremels, impact drivers in the larger bottom drawer, and then normal tools in the rest. I cut my Halfords socket set case in half and each half fits perfectly into a drawer, which keeps them neat in an arrangement I am already familiar with!

For other general tools, my plan is to get some thick-ish padding and cut the shapes out of that. Then with that laid in the drawer I can put the tools in the shapes and that'll keep those nice and tidy as well :)

I do have some stuff hanging on the walls, my second (rubbish) spanner set for example, but the tool chests are the way to go really for keeping stuff neatly and tidily :)

another voet for halfords tool chests! mine aint industrial but halfords proffesional, for £200 for top chest and rollcab, i cant complain, 2 years on im not regreting buying halfords, especially the tools!

im thinking about getting a mid chest though!

I have the Halfords Industrial tool chests, one of each size. Really like them, certainly has tidied up my garage a bit...but they work best on level and even floors! I put things like grinders, drills, dremels, impact drivers in the larger bottom drawer, and then normal tools in the rest. I cut my Halfords socket set case in half and each half fits perfectly into a drawer, which keeps them neat in an arrangement I am already familiar with!

For other general tools, my plan is to get some thick-ish padding and cut the shapes out of that. Then with that laid in the drawer I can put the tools in the shapes and that'll keep those nice and tidy as well :)

I do have some stuff hanging on the walls, my second (rubbish) spanner set for example, but the tool chests are the way to go really for keeping stuff neatly and tidily :)

but i bought the filler trays, which are designed to fit in the drawers, remind me tomorrow and il lget a picture.

there great because they have a designated slot for each tool in the tray and you can easily tell if somethings missing.

i only got the 1/4 - 3/8 socket set, and the spanner set

the rest of the chests are filled with ratchet spanners (a must), imperial spanners, air tools. also great for quick work time

I had discounted tool chests - I've got one already, but I can never keep it organised. I've found that no matter how I organise them internally, as soon as I close the drawer, everything shifts about.

A filler tray might overcome this - any links?

I'm not keen on spending 3 weeks cutting shapes out of foam!

My workshop is currently being renovated from a stone pile about to fall down, into something a little more useful. A very solid concrete floor has recently gone in, along with 3 phase, heating and painted walls!

OT have you painted the concrete floor as well? Makes life a hell of a lot better when you are rolling around on it.My dd and I have just painted the whole of ours and its brilliant in comparison.

Jad

OT have you painted the concrete floor as well? Makes life a hell of a lot better when you are rolling around on it.My dd and I have just painted the whole of ours and its brilliant in comparison.

Jad

Certainly have. 3 coats of epoxy based floor paint. Should be good for a while.

I nearly fitted underfloor heating too, but you have to fit insulation underneath which would create issues for the load the floor can carry.

Tool chest all the way, you can buy various inserts or roll your own from lumps of wood, metal, whatever keeps your junk in place. Does require a bit more discipline to put stuff back but saves time and hassle in the long run.

The Range have a decent selection of wall hooks & plastic boxes.

I have a couple of shadow boards and a Halfords Pro chest and top box.

I hang all my favourite spanners on the shadow boards, along with other regularly used tools.

In my chest and box go things like screwdrivers, socket set and associated bits, head torch, odd spanners and what I call Precision stuff - where I also keep the hundreds of allen keys I seem to attract like a magnet.

My grinder sits in the bottom drawer of the tool chest.

Another vote for a Tool Chest + Cheapo tools on the wall.

I've tried to make shadow boards out of old white melamine boards from the scrap bin at ikea but I can never find any sort of satisfactory hook arrangement - doesn't work too well.

spanner racks in your shallow drawers work well - the alligator teeth kind. I bought some that were self adhesive, and spent a little bit of time putting the spanners in size order. Sad, possibly, but as as soon as one isn;t there, you know about it!

something like these: spanner racks

Tool chest for the smaller stuff, but second hand filing cabinets are excellent for storing larger tools etc. roller bearing drawers and built to take the weight.

Usually pick them up for around £40 second hand, a quick spray job and they look like they were made for the job.

I had discounted tool chests - I've got one already, but I can never keep it organised. I've found that no matter how I organise them internally, as soon as I close the drawer, everything shifts about.

A filler tray might overcome this - any links?

I'm not keen on spending 3 weeks cutting shapes out of foam!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HalfordsProductDetailsLiteView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=163022&TB_iframe=true&TB_C_ID=productdetails&TB_C_TITLE=Halfords+Professional+47+piece+Metric%2fAF+Socket+Tray+1%2f2%22&width=800

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HalfordsProductDetailsLiteView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=205741&TB_iframe=true&TB_C_ID=productdetails&TB_C_TITLE=Halfords+Advanced+Professional+22+Piece+Spanner+Tray&width=800

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HalfordsProductDetailsLiteView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=225482&TB_iframe=true&TB_C_ID=productdetails&TB_C_TITLE=Halfords+Professional+100+Piece+Socket+Tray&width=800

teng tools also do a LOT more different filler trays, you can set your whole chests out with filler trays from them

my halfords ones as abover are excellent. and help to not loose them as you can see if theres something missing.

http://www.teng.co.uk/tool-trays_165_pl.asp... im not sure if these fit so well in the halfords box, ill look at the drawer dimensions for both types now and see.