100 Inch and IVA

Davewillb

Hi,

I started building a 100 inch a few years ago and keep going back to it between other projects - at the moment I've got to the stage of a stripped out disco chassis with out-riggers welded on and Land Rover bulkhead in place - all the excess Disco body mounts have been cut-off including the cross member.

I've hit a bit of a crisis of confidence right now mainly because of the IVA test I think and I'd be grateful for some guidance - my original intention was to build the 100 inch just like a stretched 90 using standard land rover bits and pieces and only departing from this in areas like the location of the handbrake / auto shifter (its a 3.9 V8 with auto box) - my big question is will being standard Land Rover get me through - my fear is that I need to meet more modern standards for all sorts of things like emmisions etc.I have done a lot of reading on-line but the more I read the more confused I get.

Thanks,

Dave

Have a search back, a few people have done it. Corrode_finger re-bodied a RR with Defender bits at 100" and I think basically got a VIC to confirm it was the same vehicle. If you're not hacking the chassis about too much it is just a re-shell which doesn't count for anything points-wise on a Landy.

Well, If you cut the chassis, you will need the test. Many people are worried about this, but it is not hard. Rather than trying to avoid it, which almost everyone does, I am all for facing the test head on and have peace of mind in years to come that your car is 100% legal.

My write up:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=31872&hl=%2Banother+%2Bsuccesfull+%2Bsva+%2Btest&fromsearch=1

Daan

^^^

No its not, esp if it goes back into a differing position, then its a modification of the chassis and not a reapir. If it can be looked at as a repair then mabe, but

ANY mods to the chassis have to be a like for like item, no shortening or moving of items. As dann says, the more you mod the easier and better it is to IVA

I would suggest a chat with the VOSA Guys at you local inspection station before tyou go down a route, they know what you'll need to do. Don't try to build it then argue it through, find out

what you need to do / not do / defo do / and build to that - bit like MSA Rules !. You find out what cage is allowed, and what is not, and whats in between THEN build the cage, but

so many other build the cage, fall horribly foul and try and argue - don't work :D

Nige

Nige

there is a book, IIRC they used these books in the scrapheap challenge scrappy races, when the barley pickers made that beast of a lorry/tractor thing.

ive been trying to find that episode online for a while now. id like to see it again haha

there is a book, IIRC they used these books in the scrapheap challenge scrappy races, when the barley pickers made that beast of a lorry/tractor thing.

ive been trying to find that episode online for a while now. id like to see it again haha

did't thay regester it as a tractor in the end

There was a book for sva so I'm sure there will be one for IVA buy it or borrow it read it cover to cover then build as required. also check the difference between normal car IVA and commercial IVA as a land rover can be built under either rules commercial used to be easier.

Mike

Thanks for all the replies, I was tempted to just 'do it' and not worry about it but I want this to be a vehicle I will hang on to for some time and I don't want to be getting a bad feeling every time I see a road-side check ahead or put it in for an MOT - I don't mind jumping through hoops to a point to make it legal .... it's just establishing exactly what the hoop jumping involves. I'll read the IVA manual (thanks for the link Ralph) and I'll also have a chat with a mate who got a kit car through not so long ago so should know the testing guys .... I think it took him three tries!

Cheers all,

Dave

It's not that bad to get a well built vehicle through the I VA test. The test itself is very thorough but common sence dictates that if you take a shed then they will climb all over it They check speedo calibration and measure the wheelbase at various points. All wiring has to be fixed at various distances to the chassis or body. All fluid reservoirs have to be clearly marked as to their contents( I still have some spare stickers that someone on here kindly made for me). If you need to speak to me then pm and I will give you my number.

It's not that bad to get a well built vehicle through the I VA test. The test itself is very thorough but common sence dictates that if you take a shed then they will climb all over it They check speedo calibration and measure the wheelbase at various points. All wiring has to be fixed at various distances to the chassis or body. All fluid reservoirs have to be clearly marked as to their contents( I still have some spare stickers that someone on here kindly made for me). If you need to speak to me then pm and I will give you my number.

Thanks for the reassurance, I think my plan would be to do the mechanical stuff as well as I can and keep things as simple as possible and use standard Land Rover bits - I want it to look like an original Land Rover that has just been stretched. Part of the reasoning for the stretch (if there is any logic to it!) is to fit Disco style gas tanks underneath but I would do this as an upgrade after the IVA - that's the sort of thing I had in mind anyway to make things as simple as possible.

Dave

My few pence worth....

I queried VOSA with respect to MSA Spec cages. The MSA require that the cage be welded to the chassis - but at first glance that would constitute a chassis modification.

VOSA clarified it by saying that a safety cage can be welded to the chassis, so long as it is only a safety cage, not used as a mounting point for bodywork, fire extinguishers, rubber chickens etc. The argument being that even though it might compromise the integrity of the chassis, overall it improves the safety of the occupants.

For outriggers, they said that so long as you replace like with like - even if they are beefed up, that is OK so long as they weld on to the chassis in the same place and same manor. The chassis was tested originally with welds in those places so welding something slightly different in the same place will likely not change its mode of failure too much. Welding on an outrigger in a different place, changes everything.

My current build (not particularly Land Roverish I'm afraid) has an MSA Complaint internal cage welded to the chassis - then a non MSA compliant external cage which is bolted / clamped in place. The external cage is used as a mounting for bodywork, winches etc. I've modified a couple of outriggers and one cross member - but the replacements weld to the chassis in exactly the same way / place.

I may well submit it for IVA testing anyway - just to be certain - but I'm 98% sure at the moment it does not need it.

Si

This guide clicky is quite useful I think ..... I just realised what a BIVA is (oh err missus) actually its a Basic Individual Vehicle Approval and 'not that thing you were thinking' (Brad and Dan of Fosters). I've been reading through this and the manual from the link above and I think that the question I need my local test centre to confirm is ....... is my proposed vehicle correctly designated as a Catergory N1 for a basic IVA (BIVA) on the basis that its an amateur built light comercial vehicle that doesn't need a Vehicle Identity check because I own the V5 for the donor of the engine, chassis (most of) and axles and have receipts (or will have) for the rest - if the answer is yes then I think I'm up for it.

Dave