Starting handles

I've started a few things up by hand, an old perkins generator being the hardest.

I like how it is pretty much a foolproof way of starting if you have the strength to get it moving. It also appeals to the caveman in me due to the simplicity of it.

After our trip I think it will be a nice mini project.

Dave!

I presume early Range Rovers could be started with a handle as well - the front bumpers had a slot cut out and a hole in the valance behind which look like they were meant for a handle.

Rather than risk breaking important bits of your body trying to crank over a cold diesel, why not come up with a project to make a hand-cranked charger using an old alternator. Or rig one up to an old exercise bike.

Quite fancy one on my V8!

I spent most of one winter starting my 88" V8 with a handle when I was having starter trouble. Always started without any problem, as long as no-one has parked too close to enable you to get the handle through the bumper, :lol:

I was assuming that if I were to go down that route I'd have to make my own dog.... maybe using the 4 bolt holes in the pulley to attach it? I wouldn't want to mess with the large bolt that attaches the pulley considering the torque used on it and what would happen if it came loose.

Is the 'normal' starter dog just a special bolt then?

Barry - far more fundamental issue for you I believe - YOUR WINCH will be in the way :hysterical:

I presume early Range Rovers could be started with a handle as well - the front bumpers had a slot cut out and a hole in the valance behind which look like they were meant for a handle.

Early Rangeys came with a handle stowed alongside the jack handles. There was a hole for the handle in the bumper, which I think may have remained until the front grille changed front vertical to horizontal slats 1985 ish?)

Can be seen in this photo...

1972_Range_Rover_Classic_Land_Suffix_A_2_door_SUV_Front_1.jpg

Safe starting handle practices have probably been almost forgotten now. One important point I'll mention is to always pull up from the six-o-clock position. If you push down and the engine decides to kick back, you will end up with some degree of wrist injury.

My V8 and my 2.25P used to start with just half a turn, that's to say a single up pull.

I've never tried starting a diesel with a handle, but bear in mind that LR diesels are around three time the CR of their petrol counterparts.

I thought the hole Howitzer is pointing to was for a mechanical winch's PTO drive shaft :unsure:

Barry - far more fundamental issue for you I believe - YOUR WINCH will be in the way :hysterical:

Ah, I had thought of that Mickey :) If the centre of the crank pulley is actually low enough to pass under the radiator (and this is still an if atm) then there will be just enough space between the top of the winch and the bottom of the radiator to pass the crank handle. ;) anyway .... I can dream :)

Safe starting handle practices have probably been almost forgotten now. One important point I'll mention is to always pull up from the six-o-clock position. If you push down and the engine decides to kick back, you will end up with some degree of wrist injury.

In my case it was a dislocated shoulder!!.

Definately learned that lesson.

My first car had a starting handle and got used regularly. Twas a Lada of 1976 vintage (ie a remade fiat 124). Got a few vintage tractors here with them too but would much prefer a starter motor given the choice. Always thought it would be a handy addition to an overland truck as you never know when you might get proper stranded with a flat battery and sometimes the simple solutions are the best....

another alternative is this way, www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcBE8HEAyi4&feature=fvsr or this one,

I used to use Perkins diesels in my expedition Land Rovers in the early eighties. Some of my Algerian Saharan crossings were solo and unsupported. I didn't carry a spare starter or a spare battery, BUT I could always start it with a rope if necessary. It is a long time since I did it, and I never HAD to do it, but I seem to remember using high third or fourth.

You certainly couldn't start one with a crank handle.

I would be very suprised if it was possible to start a TDi on a starting handle. Petrol engine - yes, Diesel - I wouldn't try it without a decompression mechanism.

I used to start big 3 and four cylinder diesels in 3 and 5 ton dumpers by hand, but they had individual decompression levers for each cylinder. Decompress all cylinders, wind the start handle and drop one compression lever. The engine would start on one cylinder, then you dropped the other levers one after the other and each cylinder would fire up in turn.

Regards,

Diff.