TDI Performance Parts?

ajh

bear in mind that the temperatures are very low at the moment, that could amount to a big change as well due to bad aerodynamics combined with denser air. oil consumption is high to me as well.

Daan

dense air = good for a diesel engine

srry thats what i meany

Thanks that was what i was trying to say that thicker head gaskets would be required after a head skim :i-m_so_happy:

But the valves are shut when the pistons are at the top, the combustion chamber IS IN THE PISTON as i said earlier. The gaskets are there to control the deck height because land rover couldnt make 2 engine blocks the same. I rebuilt the head on my 200 around 18 months ago, i took 7 thou off when it was skimmed and went from a 1.3mm gasket to a 1.1mm gasket.

valves are not always shut when the pistons are at the top. not on the exhaust stroke.

valve overlap comes into play when actually both valves are open for a very small period of time, mainly to flush out any lingering exhaust and to help the initial flow (this one is not so important on turbocharged engines) into the cylinder. :)

I did the pump tweak, set the boost to 10PSI and get no full throttle smoke and managed to run to the governor in top.

I've not felt that it needed more power to be honest and it managed fine towing a combined total of about 4.5 to 5 tons.

I realise this is incredibly dull mind you :hysterical:

I wonder what the heat soak issues are like on them as the standard 200tdi intercooler is absolutely hopeless. My only gripe with the engine itself. When towing on long hills it will maintain speed (The long rise on the A1M to the A14) for a short while and then despite being an even gradient, will slowly start to struggle when keeping it in 5th. I also haven't noticed much difference in performance since fitting the rad muff (Only covered a few hundred miles mind you) when it is effectively blocking the intercooler off completely, so it turns into a pressure vessel more than a heat exchanger.

I'm sure Perkins had one on the testbed out of a 200tdi Auto Discovery so i'll see if I can find out anything about what they did with the test results. When I re-fitted the 200tdi later on in life the large full width and height intercooler was far far too big for it and the response was hateful, like the propshafts were made of rubber.

Dave!

Not measured the inlet and outlet no, but the symptoms are exactly the same as when I didn't set the chargecooler on the testbeds right, your power drops off as the boost temp rises. The fact it happily maintains the speed for a few hundred metres and then tails off until you are nearly flat to the floor.

It could be pump related but imo it's heat soak.

Dave!

I did the pump tweak, set the boost to 10PSI and get no full throttle smoke and managed to run to the governor in top.

I've not felt that it needed more power to be honest and it managed fine towing a combined total of about 4.5 to 5 tons.

I realise this is incredibly dull mind you :hysterical:

I wonder what the heat soak issues are like on them as the standard 200tdi intercooler is absolutely hopeless. My only gripe with the engine itself. When towing on long hills it will maintain speed (The long rise on the A1M to the A14) for a short while and then despite being an even gradient, will slowly start to struggle when keeping it in 5th. I also haven't noticed much difference in performance since fitting the rad muff (Only covered a few hundred miles mind you) when it is effectively blocking the intercooler off completely, so it turns into a pressure vessel more than a heat exchanger.

I'm sure Perkins had one on the testbed out of a 200tdi Auto Discovery so i'll see if I can find out anything about what they did with the test results. When I re-fitted the 200tdi later on in life the large full width and height intercooler was far far too big for it and the response was hateful, like the propshafts were made of rubber.

Dave!

10psi?

is it a 200 or a 300?

200 is 12psi standard & 300 is 14 psi standard

Well, I managed to track down a compression gauge and.. yeah... front to back, 480, 490, 200, 490psi. So; tonight I'll check the valves and if needed pull the head to check the gasket/seats/worn bores. At least I have a direction now.

valves are not always shut when the pistons are at the top. not on the exhaust stroke.

valve overlap comes into play when actually both valves are open for a very small period of time, mainly to flush out any lingering exhaust and to help the initial flow (this one is not so important on turbocharged engines) into the cylinder. :)

So, why do push rods and valves bend etc when timing belts break??

Well; now at least I know what the problem is. One of the valves on #3 has a crack across most of it's face. The others look like they could use a cleaning as well. Now the only question is, rebuild here or just find a used head?

Well; now at least I know what the problem is. One of the valves on #3 has a crack across most of it's face. The others look like they could use a cleaning as well. Now the only question is, rebuild here or just find a used head?

I would be tempted to re-build the one you have but do it thoroughly. I.e. pressure test etc first - to check if there is any other damage other than that visible on the valves.

I'm sure trailerfitter has some videos on head re-builds. Have a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/trailerfitter2?feature=mhee

So, why do push rods and valves bend etc when timing belts break??

the construction of the cam lobes define how much the valves are open at any given time. Valve overlap occurs when the exhaust valve is about halfway shut and the inlet valve is just opening and at the same rate. theyre never fully open together.