TDI Performance Parts?

ajh

whats the max EGT for a Tdi - 725?

ive had 900+ before but its not really good for the turbo,

i did have a picture on my home pc of the turbo glowing white hot, realy really not good for the lifespan of it :ph34r:

on my egt guage i had the buzzer set to 750c as thats as much as id want to run WOT on the road, offroad it never really beeped & if it did it got ignored :ph34r: :ph34r:

so what makes his 200 hoss?

horse

jebus grammar isnt that hard

he had a mega modified head with alfa valves in it, as far as im aware it had the biggest valves that could possibly fit, hybrid turbo, fully balanced engine with lots of little tweaks, i think it had a different cam aswel, pump was a mega modified affair with truck internals & custom bits, i briefly spoke to the chap who overhauled the pump & he commented it was the most modified pump he had seen internally for a landrover, different injectors/ tips,

basically lots & lots of little bits making a difference, ive had my tdi on the dyno @ 160bhp at the flywheel running approx 24psi of boost, was used as a daily driver for 2 years before it was changed for an auto setup,

im northern, its 'hoss for me. :)

fair enough. but 24psi? jesus the absolute max limit is suposed to be 18psi at the manifold?

i thought i was pushing it running 20 at the turbo (around 18 at the manifold due to pressure drops in the cooler)

im northern, its 'hoss for me. :)

fair enough. but 24psi? jesus the absolute max limit is suposed to be 18psi at the manifold?

i thought i was pushing it running 20 at the turbo (around 18 at the manifold due to pressure drops in the cooler)

your not northern, youre more middle of the country :ph34r: :ph34r:

the trialer i used to use had the wastegate welded up

say hello to 29psi of boost at the manifold,

standard 200tdi disco turbo giving all it could, eventually died but i think it was injesting a large amount of water on its side that sent it on its way, that engine did 2 trials a month driven by 3 people each time, it did more trials in a year than most people do in a decent trialling career

i did run 26 on my tdi 90 for a bit bit it would lift the headgasket slightly & cause it to blow the water out, got bored of changing the headgasket every 2k :hysterical:

Land Rover France made 225bhp without methanol in their test bed 90

Allisport made 200+ (with turbo flames) in Andy's old racer

Both reliable

Anything is possible with non electrically controlled diesels - the law of fuel combusted! A Massey 3090 can be squeezed up from 110hp to over 1khp with about £5k spent and stay reliable! 155/160bhp is readily achievable on a 200tdi with decent longevity. Combustable gas into inlet manifold is fun though

1khp as in 1000hp? from a 3090?

just trying to work out were these 6T. they were werent they. in which case thats possible because they used the same engine all the way up to the 3680? or was it 3655? either way they were well undertuned in the smaller tractors.

Well, this is a bit tangential but the thread seems to have the interest of some of the people who might have ideas.

Last year I was getting about 22mpg, top speed around 125kph, nothing very impressive.... now my performance is really suffering and I just can't identify what the cause might be. There is only mild oil use, about a litre every 2 fill-ups and I have 130L of capacity, FMIC, turbo tweaked with peak boost around 18-19psi, fuel adjusted to only give a mild haze at full throttle, 1.2TC, 32" tyres, swapped in a known working FIP last week, and I'm able to get to about 120kph as long as there isn't a hill. Fuel consumption however is horrible with my latest tank giving me 890km (I was getting 1300km per tank last year, and since then I also fitted reconditioned injectors), the air filter is new, the fuel filter is new, the sedimentor has been cleaned.... 13.5L/100km. Compression also tested at over 300 on all 4 last year when the changed the injectors around. Power from stand-still is a bit weak, but from 10-70kph it's good, and I find it drops off above that.

I'm running out of ideas...

Well, this is a bit tangential but the thread seems to have the interest of some of the people who might have ideas.

Last year I was getting about 22mpg, top speed around 125kph, nothing very impressive.... now my performance is really suffering and I just can't identify what the cause might be. There is only mild oil use, about a litre every 2 fill-ups and I have 130L of capacity, FMIC, turbo tweaked with peak boost around 18-19psi, fuel adjusted to only give a mild haze at full throttle, 1.2TC, 32" tyres, swapped in a known working FIP last week, and I'm able to get to about 120kph as long as there isn't a hill. Fuel consumption however is horrible with my latest tank giving me 890km (I was getting 1300km per tank last year, and since then I also fitted reconditioned injectors), the air filter is new, the fuel filter is new, the sedimentor has been cleaned.... 13.5L/100km. Compression also tested at over 300 on all 4 last year when the changed the injectors around. Power from stand-still is a bit weak, but from 10-70kph it's good, and I find it drops off above that.

I'm running out of ideas...

What engine?

Your using alot of oil there and your compression should be nearer 500 psi if its a tdi.

You could try changing the lift pump.

Also out of interest has anyone ever fitted one of the thicker head gaskets to reduce the compression ratio? so gone from a 1 hole to 2/3 hole? and then increase the boost pressure and fueling a lot more? This would obviously give greater peak power but probably reduce power when the turbo is not spooled up. How higher pressures can the turbo cope with?

Jad

There is only mild oil use, about a litre every 2 fill-ups and I have 130L of capacity,

That does sound more than mild to me. Mine barely uses any oil between services (6000 miles).

WRT the compression figures, is there an absolute value for a tdi or are you looking for differences between the cylinders?

I've been using a lot more fuel too recently, as with you not sure why, possibly because I screwed up the compression by fitting a too thick head gasket. Apart from that it's a standard 300TDi without a cat and from time to time a new air filter (they don't last long with me for some reason... :P). No oil use as far as I can tell.

I'd love to hear more about compression testing the TDi, I think we have a testing kit at the shop so it's worth a go.

You could try changing the lift pump.

Also out of interest has anyone ever fitted one of the thicker head gaskets to reduce the compression ratio? so gone from a 1 hole to 2/3 hole? and then increase the boost pressure and fueling a lot more? This would obviously give greater peak power but probably reduce power when the turbo is not spooled up. How higher pressures can the turbo cope with?

Jad

Head gasket makes no real difference to compression.. Its a diesel after all. The compression is mostly controlled by the combustion chamber in the head/piston.. Obviously that depends on direct/indirect injection.

Head gasket thickness should only be changed if the BLOCK has been skimmed.

This is a 200TDI, I've tried with several lift pumps including an electric one without difference. I believe the cyl tested between 380-400 with no big differences; I'll have to get an appropriate gauge myself to re-test. What seems odd to me is that there isn't tons of smoke; the oil consumption has likely slowed since swapping on another turbo with tighter bushings. There just isn't anyone around here who has any knowledge about these which makes it really difficult to get any outside ideas other than here.

I'm going to re-check the valve clearances as soon as I get a chance. There is some valve cover pressure when running but it doesn't seem excessive. I gather a hone/rings means pulling the engine on these.

What if the HEAD has been skimmed surley this changes piston protrusion?

Skimming the head won't change the piston protusion, only skimming the block will have that affect. However skimming the head will reduce the combustion chamber size and bring the valves closer to the pistons hence the need to install a thicker head gasket.

srry thats what i meany

Skimming the head won't change the piston protusion, only skimming the block will have that affect. However skimming the head will reduce the combustion chamber size and bring the valves closer to the pistons hence the need to install a thicker head gasket.

Thanks that was what i was trying to say that thicker head gaskets would be required after a head skim :i-m_so_happy: