Defender Clutch randomly went Solid ...

I had just cranked up my L reg 90 defender and was happy rumbling down hill and the clutch felt unusual, when I tried to change down the Clutch pedal went solid

and I couldn't get it back into gear, the pedal just wouldn't move.

The engine runs and will go into gear as normal without the engine running ...

There is clutch fluid in the pot, quite low ...

No signs of leakage anywhere ...

Pictured is the reservoir (I'm sure you know this)

the piston pictured will not push in by the pedal unless I open up the pipe joint and which the pedal goes down but fluid comes out ...

I am no mechanic but happy to get my hands dirty and want to know whats wrong, I changed the gearbox and clutch alone about 35,000 miles ago ...

Any suggestions or obvious things that could be wrong?

I would appreciate your thoughts ...

dennis

post-7799-0-46094600-1328718082_thumb.jpg

Since the pedal goes down with the union loose the Master must be ok. There must be something at the Slave end stopping the slave piston moving. I would have thought that if the clutch pushrod had gone through the fork then the slave piston would reach the end of it's travel which would then prevent the pedal moving again. That would also account for the sudden drop in fluid as it would be filling the slave.

I'm not familar with the symptoms of a broken clutch fork, but I had similar to what you describe when the clutch release bearing seized, then melted itself into a new shape. The pedal wouldn't budge one bit, and gears could only be engaged wit hthe engine off.

Either way, I'm afraid it sounds like a box out job :(

I had this last year, exactly the same! my thrust bearing had disintegrated and got stuck, just to be on the safe side I bought everything, fork, bearing, clutch etc. The only thing that wasnt damaged was the master cylinder. Hope its not as bad, but whilst in there may as well replace everything with heavy duty.

Paul

If it is the fork then a reinforced one should stop it happening again for a long while. They can be bought or just weld some plate accross the back of a normal one.

No it won't if it broke where mine broke. Not the rod pushed through which I expected but the fork broken on the short side on each fork.

No it won't if it broke where mine broke. Not the rod pushed through which I expected but the fork broken on the short side on each fork.

I did say 'Should' not will :P

In fairness that would be a less common place to break, was there any sign of damage that may have lead to the crack?

Out of curiosity was it a reinforced arm?

CW. You know I have Weetabix for breakfast every day. Can't remember what I had this morning LOL

WE. We think that the fork had been bent to get the clutch to work....It was cracked on both sides. Who knows. That fork had been in for over 100,000 miles. I was going to have the clutch replaced the next month because of our expected trip. The broken fork beet me to it. Long story. Ask me at a show one day.

I do have a complete clutch in the box under the drivers seat. Got for our first trip. Never used....

Make sure you order a new clutch fork/arm too as mentioned by others above, as they don't normally come in a standard clutch 'kit'. I would only ever fit a reinforced arm. Either a shop bought one, or a diy reinforced one.

Regards, Diff.